    of this switch I want lost only 5 seconds of connection.

    Thanks in advance,
    Bartek

    Bartek, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Bartek

    Andre Beck Guest

    (Bartek) writes:

    > I have such issue: 2 switch 2950 connect by uplink. Both
    > I have to connected to same router 3745. Both switch have to

    Not that I knew what a 3745 is.

    > see router as a gateway (with one IP). Main problem is:
    > when I shutdown link between switch&router or switch&switch
    > and later get it up I want to that the time of loosing connection
    > (reconfiguration) will be not longer then 5 seconds. In other words:
    > when I ping to gateway (roouter 3745) from host connect to one
    > of this switch I want lost only 5 seconds of connection.

    The canonical answer here is probably to either get rid of STP altogether
    if it is not needed (read "spanning-tree portfast" on the relevant ports)
    or, even better, to migrate to Rapid STP. Depends on whether the 3745
    is also operating on L2 so you have a real triangle that needs STP to
    deactivate the redundant link. If there is any chance that it might,
    you are better of using RSTP, likely Ciscos "rapid per-vlan spanning
    tree plus". The 2950s are pure L2, so there is no IGP involved here
    directly, but chosing OSPF or another link-state IGP would help if that
    would contribute to the issue. In a sole RSTP cloud, convergence is
    typically below 1s, add the time it needs for the ports to reestablish
    link (including autonegotiations) and you should still be within your
    5s range. But keep in mind that this changes as soon as the cloud
    has contact to devices speaking classic 802.1D STP (to be silent of
    the DEC variant, but that is another story with a different bridge
    priority, *eg*).

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-

    Andre Beck, Nov 1, 2003