    Punch
    --
    2003.5 PT Cruiser Turbo
    Punch, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Punch

    Irwell Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:42:50 -0500, "Punch" <crash2000@sympatico@.ca> wrote:

    >I have a canon A70, I see on ebay they sell 2x telephoto lens's, not knowing
    >much about photography, I wonder exactly how they work.
    >
    >when the lenses is on the camera, is it adjustable, or just 2x plus the zoom
    >feature of the camera?
    >
    >can someone point me to a webpage for photography for dummies ( or even
    >digital photo's for dummies)
    >thanks
    >Punch
    >--
    >2003.5 PT Cruiser Turbo

    Try this website.www.lensmateonline.com
    They have a whole range of lenses
    and adapters for the Canon A series of cameras.
    Good explanations and sample photos.
    Irwell, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Punch

    AArDvarK Guest

    Here's another related site: http://ckcpower.com/
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Punch

    Don Stauffer Guest

    The 2X always multiplies whatever the existing lens is set at. For
    instance, if the camera has a 3X lens, when you put the converter on, it
    is still a 3X range, but the actual focal lengths are now twice what
    they were without the converter.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Punch wrote:
    > I have a canon A70, I see on ebay they sell 2x telephoto lens's, not knowing
    > much about photography, I wonder exactly how they work.
    >
    > when the lenses is on the camera, is it adjustable, or just 2x plus the zoom
    > feature of the camera?
    >
    > can someone point me to a webpage for photography for dummies ( or even
    > digital photo's for dummies)
    > thanks
    > Punch

    Just wanted to say avoid the lenses on Ebay. I know it costs more but
    your MUCH better off with the Canon's 2.4x Telephoto. Those cheaper ones
    tend to have blurry edges and don't have near the optical quality of the
    Canon lens. FYI you can get the TC-DC52 from Provantage for under $90
    shipped. The samples I've seen of the cheaper Tiffen and "Titanium" lens
    were not impressive at all with blurry edges.

    Regards

    Mike
    Michael Burns, Feb 12, 2004
  6. On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:42:50 -0500, "Punch" <crash2000@sympatico@.ca>
    wrote:

    >I have a canon A70, I see on ebay they sell 2x telephoto lens's, not knowing
    >much about photography, I wonder exactly how they work.

    These are not really telephoto lenses, but more correctly, either
    tele-extenders, or adapters. Depending on the type of lens they go
    between the camera lens and the camera, or they mount on the filter
    ring.

    >when the lenses is on the camera, is it adjustable, or just 2x plus the zoom
    >feature of the camera?

    They are a 2X multiplier, or what ever multiplier they are designated.
    You will see 0.5 (wide angle) to usually no more than 2X (telephoto)

    They are strictly a multiplier and do nothing to extend the range of
    the zoom. For example if the camera has a 2X zoom that means the zoom
    has a maximum focal length that is twice the minimum. Start with a 10
    to 20 mm 2X zoom and then add a 2X telextender (either type will work
    the same) The lens now becomes a 20 to 40 mm which is still a 2X, but
    the focal length are now twice as much due to the 2X telextender.

    >can someone point me to a webpage for photography for dummies ( or even
    >digital photo's for dummies)

    Nikon has a photography tutorial and I'd assume most of the other
    major manufacturers do as well. Three are also pages devoted to all
    levels of photographic skill.

    I'm sure some one on here will come up with a few URLs, but you can do
    a search on Photography, or beginning photography, or introductory
    photography for a start.

    Good Luck,

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Punch

    Tim Sheets Guest

    Don Stauffer wrote:

    > The 2X always multiplies whatever the existing lens is set at. For
    > instance, if the camera has a 3X lens, when you put the converter on, it
    > is still a 3X range, but the actual focal lengths are now twice what
    > they were without the converter.

    Don,

    I am extremely new to photography, and am a little confused by what
    you're saying here. If you don't mind, could you explain what you mean
    by Still a 3X range, but focal lengths now twice? Ignorant logic would
    tell me that it simply doubles whatever the built-in zoom is at.
    Obviously, there's more to it than that (based on what you are saying),
    I'm just not grasping it at this point.

    Thanks,

    Tim
    Tim Sheets, Feb 13, 2004
  8. Punch

    Guest

    In message <ftXWb.166887$U%5.759967@attbi_s03>,
    Tim Sheets <> wrote:

    >I am extremely new to photography, and am a little confused by what
    >you're saying here. If you don't mind, could you explain what you mean
    >by Still a 3X range, but focal lengths now twice? Ignorant logic would
    >tell me that it simply doubles whatever the built-in zoom is at.
    >Obviously, there's more to it than that (based on what you are saying),
    >I'm just not grasping it at this point.

    You are making the mistake of assuming that the power of the zoom has an
    absolute value, like a magnification. The fact is, the power of the
    zoom refers to the ratio of its longest focal length to its shortest, or
    conversely, its widest angle of view to its narrowest. A teleconverter
    does not affect the ratio, but the figures that form the ratio. A zoom
    that went from a 180 degree fish-eye to a normal perspective of about 60
    degrees would be a 3x zoom. If you put a 2x teleconverter on it, it
    would go from 90 degrees on the wide end, and 30 degrees on the narrow
    end, and the zoom would still be 3x, even though the maximum
    magnification of the lens goes from 1x to 2x.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Feb 13, 2004