    Joe Gale Guest

    Can anyone suggest a good 2X Entender for a Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    to be used on a 10D?

    Joe Gale, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Joe Gale

    Mark² Guest

    "Joe Gale" <> wrote in message
    news:Qitwd.152701$...
    > Can anyone suggest a good 2X Entender for a Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS

    USM
    > to be used on a 10D?

    There are decent extenders (Kenko), but you won't like the results on that
    lens.
    It's already a max aperture of 5.6 (tele end), which will become an
    extremely
    S-L-O-W f11 with a 2x added. You already lose auto focus at anything above
    5.6 on the 20D, and f11 is REALLY dim for anything moving. You would only
    really be able to use it in very bright sunlight unless you blast it with
    major flash.

    The Canon extenders won't fit due to protruding elements on the extender
    which require a recessed mount on the lens.

    The Kenkos don't have this issue.

    You might consider a 1.4x instead. You will still lose auto-focus (though
    there is a work-around involving taping over a portion of the constacts on
    the lens, which tricks the camera into attempting to AF), but will be at f8
    (twice the light of f11). This will still be pretty limiting, but not so
    stifling as f11.

    Mark², Dec 17, 2004

  3. Joe Gale

    Tony Guest

    I use a Kenko Pro 300 with mine. You are going to lose quality but no where
    near as much as the anti-TC people will tell you. Besides they'll tell you
    to throw out the lens anyway.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Joe Gale

    Mark² Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > I use a Kenko Pro 300 with mine. You are going to lose quality but no

    where
    > near as much as the anti-TC people will tell you. Besides they'll tell you
    > to throw out the lens anyway.

    For me, it's not so much the optical quality loss, but rather the tiny
    aperture values that result.

    Mark², Dec 17, 2004
  5. Joe Gale

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:31:44 GMT, "Joe Gale" <>
    wrote:

    >Can anyone suggest a good 2X Entender for a Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    >to be used on a 10D?

    An EF75-300 IS lens and a 2X Tamron F AF converter mounted on a D60
    work well for me. I shoot at ISO400 and hand hold down to 1/200
    second. If you try it you'll buy it.

    Dave
    East englewood
    ---------------------------------

    , Dec 17, 2004
  6. On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:13:55 GMT, wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:31:44 GMT, "Joe Gale" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone suggest a good 2X Entender for a Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    >>to be used on a 10D?
    >>

    >An EF75-300 IS lens and a 2X Tamron F AF converter mounted on a D60
    >work well for me. I shoot at ISO400 and hand hold down to 1/200
    >second. If you try it you'll buy it.
    >
    >Dave
    >East englewood
    >---------------------------------

    Dave , What is the 35mm equivalence of the three combined please?
    eric phillips

    eric phillips, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Joe Gale

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:55:59 +1000, eric phillips <>
    wrote:

    >>>Can anyone suggest a good 2X Entender for a Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    >>>to be used on a 10D?
    >>>

    >>An EF75-300 IS lens and a 2X Tamron F AF converter mounted on a D60
    >>work well for me.
    >>Dave
    >>East englewood
    >>---------------------------------

    >Dave , What is the 35mm equivalence of the three combined please?
    >eric phillips

    It is around 230-920mm or so and you get the two stops back and more
    with the IS lens plus 400 ISO.

    George Lepp suggested the Tameron 2X extender in a seminar I attended
    several years and I found the combination usable on an EOS RT and 630.

    It is much sharper on a D60.

    Dave
    East Englewood
    -----------------------------
    The proof is in the print.

    , Dec 29, 2004
  8. On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:27:42 GMT, wrote:

    >>>An EF75-300 IS lens and a 2X Tamron F AF converter mounted on a D60
    >>>work well for me.
    >>>Dave
    >>>East englewood
    >>>---------------------------------

    >>Dave , What is the 35mm equivalence of the three combined please?
    >>eric phillips

    >It is around 230-920mm or so and you get the two stops back and more
    >with the IS lens plus 400 ISO.
    >
    >George Lepp suggested the Tameron 2X extender in a seminar I attended
    >several years and I found the combination usable on an EOS RT and 630.
    >
    > It is much sharper on a D60.
    >
    >Dave
    >East Englewood
    >-----------------------------
    >The proof is in the print.

    Thanks Dave,
    eric phillips

    eric phillips, Dec 29, 2004
  9. Joe Gale

    Don Guest

    Guys

    I have used the tamron on my 10D & 20D. You should note that for all
    intents and purposes you loose the autofocus (2 stops and the 10D needs F5.6
    to focus with any degree of accuracy). I would not recommend the Tamron if
    you are putting it on good lenses. It simply degrades the quality too much.
    I am told that this is not the case with the Canon 1.4x but have no personal
    experience with this extender. I have a majority of L series lenses and the
    Tamron extender seems to sit in my bag doing nothing. It is the SPAF (7E)
    pro model for Canon eos lenses.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Joe Gale

    Steve Dell Guest

    You might try the 1.4X Canon. with the 1.6X equivalent on the 10D/20D,
    you'll get the equivalent of 168-672mm with less light loss. I can't recall
    if you will lose auto-focus with the 1.4X Canon.

    Steve
    Tucson AZ

    Steve Dell, Jan 5, 2005