    time, I have spent and hour or 2 searching but have found no references to
    what i want to know.
    So this is the sort of problem that i turn to nz.comp for.

    searching, Apr 11, 2006

  2. searching

    Guest

    At least it sort of works. I bought one off trademe a couple of weeks
    ago and got 6 scans out of it before it started making grinding noises
    and died. POS.

    , Apr 11, 2006

  3. searching

    searching Guest

    "searching" <searching@research> wrote in message
    > I bought a 2ndhand hp scanjet 5200c and am very disappointed with the scan
    > results when scanning photo's, they are very blurry, I have tried scanning
    > from 150dpi to 600dpi, 150 dpi looks the best. The scan software
    > automatically does a little bit of sharpening but the photo's are still

    very
    > blurry. I don't have much scanner experience so I don't know if this is
    > typical although i would be very surprised if it was.
    > The scanner is a usb model that came out in about 2000.
    > The glass is clean and there is no smearing.
    > Does the focus on a scanner deteriorate over time and if so is there
    > anything you can do to fix it? This is an important thing for me to find

    out
    > because websites don't typically tell you how a product deteriotes over
    > time, I have spent and hour or 2 searching but have found no references to
    > what i want to know.
    > So this is the sort of problem that i turn to nz.comp for.

    I'm guessing that if the scans I am getting are not typical of a new 5200c
    then maybe the mirrors inside need a clean but I would like some feedback
    before I attempt this, is it common for scanners to loose focus over time
    due to dirty mirrors?
    I know part of what I am asking is subjective but I am sure nobody would
    consider the images i am getting as anything but blurry.

    searching, Apr 11, 2006
  4. searching

    Vista Guest

    >I bought a 2ndhand hp scanjet 5200c and am very disappointed with the scan
    > results when scanning photo's, they are very blurry, I have tried scanning
    > from 150dpi to 600dpi, 150 dpi looks the best. The scan software
    > automatically does a little bit of sharpening but the photo's are still
    > very
    > blurry. I don't have much scanner experience so I don't know if this is
    > typical although i would be very surprised if it was.
    > The scanner is a usb model that came out in about 2000.
    > The glass is clean and there is no smearing.
    > Does the focus on a scanner deteriorate over time and if so is there
    > anything you can do to fix it? This is an important thing for me to find
    > out
    > because websites don't typically tell you how a product deteriotes over
    > time, I have spent and hour or 2 searching but have found no references to
    > what i want to know.
    > So this is the sort of problem that i turn to nz.comp for.

    Was the scanner 'locked' before it was transported, using the lock switch?
    If not, it is probably damaged, as they are very delicate and can get
    damaged if knocked only slightly. They are so cheap to buy new, so I
    wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one, as I
    used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

    Vista, Apr 11, 2006
  5. searching

    searching Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > At least it sort of works. I bought one off trademe a couple of weeks
    > ago and got 6 scans out of it before it started making grinding noises
    > and died. POS.

    From the research I have done today that sounds like it could be a shipping
    lock problem, move it back and forward a few times and cross your fingers,
    sounds like it might have been in partial or complete shipping lock when you
    used it.

    searching, Apr 11, 2006
  6. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:

    > They are so cheap to buy new, so I
    > wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one, as I
    > used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

    I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at the
    time - a proper professional one.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
    sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 11, 2006
  7. searching

    Vista Guest

    "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:
    >
    >> They are so cheap to buy new, so I
    >> wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one,
    >> as I
    >> used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

    > I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at the
    > time - a proper professional one.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > "When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
    > sign they've lost the real battle, for users."

    The HP 5200c was about $500 in its day too. But not a very good scanner.

    Vista, Apr 11, 2006
  8. searching

    searching Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:
    > >
    > >> They are so cheap to buy new, so I
    > >> wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one,
    > >> as I
    > >> used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

    > > I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at

    the
    > > time - a proper professional one.
    > >

    > > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    > >
    > > --
    > > "When a company starts fighting over IP, it's a
    > > sign they've lost the real battle, for users."
    > >

    > The HP 5200c was about $500 in its day too. But not a very good scanner.

    US $500 when it first came out.

    searching, Apr 11, 2006
  9. searching

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,

    > a proper professional one.

    ok, i just got to ask... but wtf is the real difference between a 'proper
    professional scanner' and my 3n1 printer / copier / scanner sitting beside
    me ?

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Apr 11, 2006
  10. searching

    searching Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,
    >
    > > a proper professional one.

    > ok, i just got to ask... but wtf is the real difference between a 'proper
    > professional scanner' and my 3n1 printer / copier / scanner sitting beside
    > me ?

    No you don't.

    searching, Apr 12, 2006
  11. searching wrote:
    > "searching" <searching@research> wrote in message
    >> I bought a 2ndhand hp scanjet 5200c and am very disappointed with the scan
    >> results when scanning photo's, they are very blurry, I have tried scanning
    >> from 150dpi to 600dpi, 150 dpi looks the best. The scan software
    >> automatically does a little bit of sharpening but the photo's are still

    > very
    >> blurry. I don't have much scanner experience so I don't know if this is
    >> typical although i would be very surprised if it was.
    >> The scanner is a usb model that came out in about 2000.
    >> The glass is clean and there is no smearing.
    >> Does the focus on a scanner deteriorate over time and if so is there
    >> anything you can do to fix it? This is an important thing for me to find

    > out
    >> because websites don't typically tell you how a product deteriotes over
    >> time, I have spent and hour or 2 searching but have found no references to
    >> what i want to know.
    >> So this is the sort of problem that i turn to nz.comp for.
    >>

    > I'm guessing that if the scans I am getting are not typical of a new 5200c
    > then maybe the mirrors inside need a clean but I would like some feedback
    > before I attempt this, is it common for scanners to loose focus over time
    > due to dirty mirrors?

    Cleaning front surface mirrors is a bit tricky. Touching them in any way
    abrades the metallic coating and degrades their performance. Low pressure
    compressed air would be my first attack. If that failed to achieve satisfactory
    results I would wash the mirrors in warm water and detergent and rinse them
    thoroughly in clean hot water before letting them drain and dry on edge. Given
    very recalcitrant deposits the recommended method involves flooding the mirror
    in isopropyl alcohol and dragging a saturated lint free lens cleaning tissue
    across it.

    The lens(es) are more likely to be the source of the problem and in most cases
    are less sensitive to aggressive cleaning techniques.

    Mark Robinson, Apr 12, 2006
  12. searching

    searching Guest

    I have spent many hours on the net and not found
    > any useful information, no where does it mention the cause and/or solution
    > of blurry scans.

    Not quite true I did find 1 mention of a blurry image that was fixed by
    having the scanner serviced, but that's it, sometimes the things you would
    thing there would be plenty of info about there is none, there must be heaps
    of people that have been in the same predicament as me yet the web is free
    on any help on the topic.

    searching, Apr 12, 2006
  13. On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:33:09 +1200, "searching" <searching@research>
    wrote:

    >"Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> searching wrote:
    >> > "searching" <searching@research> wrote in message

    >scan

    >scanning
    >> > very

    >find
    >> > out

    >> > I'm guessing that if the scans I am getting are not typical of a new

    >5200c
    >> > then maybe the mirrors inside need a clean but I would like some

    >feedback
    >> > before I attempt this, is it common for scanners to loose focus over

    >time
    >> > due to dirty mirrors?

    >> Cleaning front surface mirrors is a bit tricky. Touching them in any way
    >> abrades the metallic coating and degrades their performance. Low pressure
    >> compressed air would be my first attack. If that failed to achieve

    >satisfactory
    >> results I would wash the mirrors in warm water and detergent and rinse

    >them
    >> thoroughly in clean hot water before letting them drain and dry on edge.

    >Given
    >> very recalcitrant deposits the recommended method involves flooding the

    >mirror
    >> in isopropyl alcohol and dragging a saturated lint free lens cleaning tiss

    >ue
    >> across it.
    >>
    >> The lens(es) are more likely to be the source of the problem and in most

    >cases
    >> are less sensitive to aggressive cleaning techniques.

    >Thanks for that, I was going to just use one of those scotch brite cloths
    >that you buy for cleaning camera lens and cd/dvd discs, I would have thought
    >that would be the safest thing since there are no liquids etc.. involved,
    >what do you think, should i only use this on the lens.
    >The scanner has an optical resolution of 600dpi but 150 gives the best
    >results, the higher the resolution the more blurry the scan, does this sound
    >like a lens problem to you? I have spent many hours on the net and not found
    >any useful information, no where does it mention the cause and/or solution
    >of blurry scans.

    The manufacturer of some photographic equipment recommended the
    following:

    Hold the mirror by the edges under flowing water from the cold water
    tap. Drag a big wad of cotton wool across the surface while the water
    is flowing. DO NOT rub the mirror with the cotton wool, your fingers
    should never need to be closer than about 20mm from the surface. Let
    the weight of the cotton wool do the work.

    Remove the mirror from the flowing water and hold it vertical,
    resting the edge on an absorbent material. Most of the water should
    run off, if there are some droplets left, very gently touch a clean
    tissue to them. Once again, don't rub the surface, your fingers
    shouldn't come close to the surface.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm

    Malcolm Moore, Apr 12, 2006
  14. searching

    Steven H Guest

    Hello searching,

    >> ok, i just got to ask... but wtf is the real difference between a
    >> 'proper professional scanner' and my 3n1 printer / copier / scanner
    >> sitting beside me ?
    >>

    > No you don't.

    mabye the view of my office is a bit obscured with all the shit in it currently
    so your camera cant see much (am ment to be getting around to cleaning it
    in the weekend - we got some big ass boxes to fill) - then your camera will
    get a better view wont it ;)

    anyhow it is one of thoes MPC190 dohikies that does printing, scanning and
    copying (thats 3n1 isnt it ?).

    anyhow back to my question - what is the real difference between a 'professional'
    scanner and one of these things, throughput (hundreds of 300dpi scans per
    minute vs say... 5).

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Apr 12, 2006
  15. searching

    searching Guest

    "Malcolm Moore" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > following:
    >
    > Hold the mirror by the edges under flowing water from the cold water
    > tap. Drag a big wad of cotton wool across the surface while the water
    > is flowing. DO NOT rub the mirror with the cotton wool, your fingers
    > should never need to be closer than about 20mm from the surface. Let
    > the weight of the cotton wool do the work.
    >
    > Remove the mirror from the flowing water and hold it vertical,
    > resting the edge on an absorbent material. Most of the water should
    > run off, if there are some droplets left, very gently touch a clean
    > tissue to them. Once again, don't rub the surface, your fingers
    > shouldn't come close to the surface.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Malcolm
    > Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

    Thanks very much for that but before I attempt that I have to try and
    confirm that the blurriness i am experiencing is abnormal, obviously this
    was the first thing I wanted to do but frustratingly I have not been able to
    so far, you would think there would be webpages with examples of scans from
    a range of scanners, this would be immensely helpful, they probably do exist
    but I have not been able to find them. You would think there would be plenty
    of people wanting to do the same thing.

    searching, Apr 12, 2006
  16. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:57:19 +0000, Steven H wrote:

    > ok, i just got to ask... but wtf is the real difference between a 'proper
    > professional scanner' and my 3n1 printer / copier / scanner sitting beside
    > me ?

    One can sustain a heavier duty cycle than the other?
    One has better quality components than the other?
    One doesn't have the extra cost of printer components?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
    How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 12, 2006
  17. searching

    PC Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Have A Nice Cup of Tea,
    >
    >> a proper professional one.

    > ok, i just got to ask... but wtf is the real difference between a 'proper
    > professional scanner' and my 3n1 printer / copier / scanner sitting beside
    > me ?
    >
    > ----------------
    > Steven H
    >
    > the madGeek
    >
    >> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:
    >>
    >>> They are so cheap to buy new, so I wouldn't risk buying one second
    >>> hand, and that model is a very old one, as I used to have one and it
    >>> developed a similar problem years ago.
    >>>

    >> I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at
    >> the time - a proper professional one.
    >>
    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Steven

    For what it's worth my understanding of 'Professional' comes down to duty
    cycle for a given specification.

    Sure your "3n1 printer / copier / scanner " may have all the numbers but you
    try using it for a full 8hours/5days week in and week out, and the
    likelyhood is it'll be a melted pile of plastic in no time at all.

    Having said that for 'most' people the cheaper scanners are the best because
    they can discover how little they will really use them without spending an
    arm and a leg.

    :)

    Paul.

    PC, Apr 12, 2006
  18. searching

    Steven H Guest

    Hello PC,

    > Having said that for 'most' people the cheaper scanners are the best
    > because they can discover how little they will really use them without
    > spending an arm and a leg.

    lol, very true - believe it or not all i wanted was a printer that could
    be refilled reasnonably cheaply and the MPC turned out to be the best deal.

    i guess 'Have A Nice Cup of Tea' either has snotloads of money or uses them
    professionally - come to think of it, what the hell do you do ?

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Apr 12, 2006
  19. searching

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:10:05 +1200, Vista wrote:
    >
    >> They are so cheap to buy new, so I
    >> wouldn't risk buying one second hand, and that model is a very old one, as I
    >> used to have one and it developed a similar problem years ago.

    > I paid about $700 for my Epson scanner. It was the top of the range at the
    > time - a proper professional one.

    ROTFL.

    That's not a "proper professional" scanner - this is:

    http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products/scanners/fi-5750c/

    -=rjh=-, Apr 12, 2006
  20. searching

    PC Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > Hello PC,

    snip

    come to think of it, what the hell do you do ?

    snip

    As little as possible!

    Sorry couldn't resist <g>

    Other than that whatever comes thru the door.

    Paul.

    PC, Apr 13, 2006