    Apart from plugging it in and see if it works is
    there any way of checking second hand ram before
    you part with your money?
    J.Wilson, Jun 27, 2004

  2. J.Wilson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "J.Wilson" <> wrote in news:HowDc.4495
    $:

    > Apart from plugging it in and see if it works is
    > there any way of checking second hand ram before
    > you part with your money?

    Like by using a voltmeter or something?

    No, and you probably want to test it overnight using
    http://www.memtest.org/ as the POST test is a very minimal and quick check.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 27, 2004

  3. J.Wilson

    steve Guest

    J.Wilson wrote:

    > Apart from plugging it in and see if it works is
    > there any way of checking second hand ram before
    > you part with your money?

    See it working in an existing system?

    For several hours?

    One of my systems developed a bad memory module this week....but would
    happily run for 1-2 hours from a cold start...before crashing....and
    crashing....and crashing.
    steve, Jun 27, 2004
  4. In <HowDc.4495$> J.Wilson wrote:

    > Apart from plugging it in and see if it works is
    > there any way of checking second hand ram before
    > you part with your money?

    Stand-alone memory testers are available
    e.g. http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/sp3000/sp3info.asp
    but they cost about the same as a complete computer system.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 27, 2004
  5. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "J.Wilson" <> wrote in news:HowDc.4495
    > $:
    >
    > > Apart from plugging it in and see if it works is
    > > there any way of checking second hand ram before
    > > you part with your money?
    > >

    > Like by using a voltmeter or something? :)
    >
    > No, and you probably want to test it overnight using
    > http://www.memtest.org/ as the POST test is a very minimal and quick

    check.
    > Ciao, Dave

    I thought not, although I did find the 'Ramcheck' gizmo
    for close on $2000. Just how robust are ram sticks? Can
    they survive being shaken up in a box of a dozen or so?
    I've seen it selling on TradeMe, and wondered.
    J.Wilson, Jun 27, 2004
  6. J.Wilson

    samg Guest

    "J.Wilson" <> wrote in news:qGGDc.4684
    $:

    > I thought not, although I did find the 'Ramcheck' gizmo
    > for close on $2000. Just how robust are ram sticks? Can
    > they survive being shaken up in a box of a dozen or so?
    > I've seen it selling on TradeMe, and wondered.

    bit of a gamble buying RAM second hand. Ive never done it unless I could
    try it out first.
    samg, Jun 27, 2004
  7. J.Wilson

    gibmeat Guest

    J.Wilson wrote:

    > I thought not, although I did find the 'Ramcheck' gizmo
    > for close on $2000. Just how robust are ram sticks? Can
    > they survive being shaken up in a box of a dozen or so?
    > I've seen it selling on TradeMe, and wondered.

    last year i bought a 256MB DIMM of PC100 ECC ram through trademe :)

    it was a last resort but getting it shipped from crucial would've cost
    twice as much. its still humming along fine in a render-node here :)
    gibmeat, Jun 28, 2004
  8. J.Wilson

    Collector_NZ Guest

    J.Wilson said the following on 28/06/2004 09:09:
    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"J.Wilson" <> wrote in news:HowDc.4495
    >>$:
    >>

    >>>Apart from plugging it in and see if it works is
    >>>there any way of checking second hand ram before
    >>>you part with your money?
    >>>

    >>Like by using a voltmeter or something? :)
    >>
    >>No, and you probably want to test it overnight using
    >>http://www.memtest.org/ as the POST test is a very minimal and quick

    > check.
    >
    >>Ciao, Dave

    > I thought not, although I did find the 'Ramcheck' gizmo
    > for close on $2000. Just how robust are ram sticks? Can
    > they survive being shaken up in a box of a dozen or so?
    > I've seen it selling on TradeMe, and wondered.

    Buying second hand ram is a lottery, it may, it may not.
    Trademe Ram, well check the retail of what you want before bidding, TM more
    often than not gets to retail price on stuff in general. I have been chasing a
    64 or 128Mb sodimm 133 and each one has gone to retail except the ones that
    have closed when I havnt been around and they are the minority of auctions.
    Collector_NZ, Jun 28, 2004
  9. J.Wilson

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    Collector_NZ <> expelled:

    > Buying second hand ram is a lottery, it may, it may not.
    > Trademe Ram, well check the retail of what you want before bidding,
    > TM more often than not gets to retail price on stuff in general. I
    > have been chasing a 64 or 128Mb sodimm 133 and each one has gone to
    > retail except the ones that have closed when I havnt been around and
    > they are the minority of auctions.

    I have a 128MB PC-133 sodimm here (won't run in the bloody Compaq it was
    bought for that insists on PC-100) - make me an offer.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Jun 28, 2004
  10. J.Wilson

    Collector_NZ Guest

    EMB said the following on 28/06/2004 18:16:

    > In news:,
    > Collector_NZ <> expelled:
    >
    >>Buying second hand ram is a lottery, it may, it may not.
    >>Trademe Ram, well check the retail of what you want before bidding,
    >>TM more often than not gets to retail price on stuff in general. I
    >>have been chasing a 64 or 128Mb sodimm 133 and each one has gone to
    >>retail except the ones that have closed when I havnt been around and
    >>they are the minority of auctions.

    > I have a 128MB PC-133 sodimm here (won't run in the bloody Compaq it was
    > bought for that insists on PC-100) - make me an offer.

    60% of best retail I can find ?
    Collector_NZ, Jun 28, 2004
  11. J.Wilson

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    Collector_NZ <> expelled:
    > EMB said the following on 28/06/2004 18:16:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> Collector_NZ <> expelled:
    >>
    >>> Buying second hand ram is a lottery, it may, it may not.
    >>> Trademe Ram, well check the retail of what you want before bidding,
    >>> TM more often than not gets to retail price on stuff in general. I
    >>> have been chasing a 64 or 128Mb sodimm 133 and each one has gone to
    >>> retail except the ones that have closed when I havnt been around and
    >>> they are the minority of auctions.

    >> I have a 128MB PC-133 sodimm here (won't run in the bloody Compaq it
    >> was bought for that insists on PC-100) - make me an offer.
    >>

    > 60% of best retail I can find ?

    $45 with a DOA guarantee

    EMB, Jun 28, 2004