    Thanks.

    ---------------
    Darth 2000

    Darth 2000, Jan 8, 2004

  2. It will automatically grant you a timebomb license for 90 or 120 days (
    forget which, but I believe it's 90) to play with terminal services. Enjoy.

    Christopher Beasley

    Christopher J. Beasley, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Darth 2000

    Marko Guest

    You can install two modes:

    Administrative mode allows administrators to log in and
    operate almost as if they were actually on the machine.
    Was designed as a remote administration tool.

    Application Mode allows users who have terminal services
    access in their profile to log in and operate virtual
    sessions on the server. Applications such as Office may
    be made available and the processing power comes from the
    server, not the client. Installation will require that
    you install a licensing server and that you obtain license
    keys within 90 days. This might be enough time for you to
    try the product out in any case?

    Marko, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Darth 2000

    Darth 2000 Guest

    Thanks Chris. Time bomb is 120.

    --
    ---------------
    Darth 2000

    Darth 2000, Jan 8, 2004
  5. "Darth 2000" <> wrote in message
    > Just finished installing 2K3 Eval as I'm starting 2K3 MCSE soon.
    > I installed Terminal Server and want to get it up and running for testing.
    > Is there some Eval license that can be used here, or must it be purchased
    > even for Eval?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ---------------
    > Darth 2000

    Depends on which mode you chose when you installed Terminal Server.

    Remote Administration Mode requires no TS CALs or licensing server, but only
    members of the Admin group can connect remotely, and only 2 at a time.

    Application Mode allows non-admin accounts to connect remotely and is
    unlimited, but for it to function in production you have to setup a Terminal
    Server Licensing Server and possibly install TS CALs for it to distribute.
    Once Terminal Server is installed in Application mode you have 45 days to
    setup your licensing before the server denies connections to users.

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Darth 2000

    cadman Guest

    Go to Start>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components, then
    select and install Terminal Server. There is no option for "Administrative
    mode".

    From the Windows 2003 Server help:

    Terminal server role: Configuring a terminal serverConfigure this computer
    as a terminal server by installing the Terminal Server component, which
    provides centralized deployment of applications.

    Using a terminal server, users in remote locations can run programs, save
    files, and use network resources as though those resources were installed on
    the users' own computers. By installing programs on a terminal server, you
    can ensure that all users are using the same version of a program. If you
    plan to use this computer to allow multiple users to access a program at the
    same time from a single point of installation, configure this computer as a
    terminal server.

    However, if you plan to use this computer for remote administration on
    Windows Server 2003 operating systems, you do not need to install Terminal
    Server. Instead, you can use Remote Desktop for Administration (formerly
    Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode), which is installed by
    default on computers running one of the Windows Server 2003 operating
    systems. After you enable remote connections, Remote Desktop for
    Administration allows you to remotely manage servers from any client over a
    LAN, WAN, or dial-up connection. Up to two remote sessions, plus the console
    session, can be accessed at the same time, without requiring Terminal Server
    Licensing.

    cadman, Jan 8, 2004
  7. "cadman" <> wrote in message
    > Go to Start>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components, then
    > select and install Terminal Server. There is no option for

    "Administrative
    > mode".

    When you click OK to install your selection, it will prompt you for which
    mode you want.

    Politician Spock, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Darth 2000

    cadman Guest

    I went through it before I posted. My Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
    Edition doesn't prompt you for which mode.

    "Politician Spock" <> wrote in message
    > "cadman" <> wrote in message
    > > Go to Start>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components, then
    > > select and install Terminal Server. There is no option for

    > "Administrative
    > > mode".
    > >

    > When you click OK to install your selection, it will prompt you for which
    > mode you want.
    >
    > --
    > Politician Spock
    > MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
    > The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    rights.

    cadman, Jan 8, 2004
  9. "cadman" <> wrote in message
    > I went through it before I posted. My Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
    > Edition doesn't prompt you for which mode.

    It's worked that way for every Windows server I've ever installed it on. But
    I can't say I have specifically installed it on 2003 Enterprise.

    Politician Spock, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Darth 2000

    cadman Guest

    You are right about previous Server Systems. However, the administrative
    mode has been ripped out and is now seperate as Remote Desktop in 2K3
    Server. Installing Terminal Services is now just Application Mode. You now
    have "both" modes at the same time.

    cadman, Jan 8, 2004
  11. In article <0d5801c3d5eb$a6d84cd0$>,
    says...

    > You can install two modes:
    >
    > Administrative mode allows administrators to log in and
    > operate almost as if they were actually on the machine.
    > Was designed as a remote administration tool.
    >
    > Application Mode

    Not in Win2K3.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Jan 8, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    says...
    > > I went through it before I posted. My Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
    > > Edition doesn't prompt you for which mode.
    > >

    > It's worked that way for every Windows server I've ever installed it on. But
    > I can't say I have specifically installed it on 2003 Enterprise.

    This has changed in Win2K3. Remote Administration functionality is
    automatically installed, but is not enabled. Installing Terminal
    Services in Windows Server 2003 *only* installs what used to be termed
    "Application Mode".

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Jan 8, 2004
  13. In article <#>,
    says...
    > Depends on which mode you chose when you installed Terminal Server.

    Nope.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Darth 2000

    Dave Marden Guest

    Why don't you buy the microsoft action pack? $299, and you get to use
    it for a year. You get a bunch of other cool servers, and also Microsoft
    Office 2003.

    Dave

    Dave Marden, Jan 22, 2004