    --
    Tony Sivori
    Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

    Tony Sivori, Jul 5, 2008

  2. Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2008

  3. David J Taylor, Jul 5, 2008
  4. David J Taylor wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Tony Sivori wrote:
    >>
    >>> Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb
    >>> card in the F10, and if so did it work?

    >> Top line:
    >>
    >> http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/card/f/index.html

    > Middle xD column heading - what's "2GMB". So much for how well that
    > information has been proof-read!

    That's two gigamegabytes. It's not available everywhere, and damn, is it
    expensive!

    --
    Blinky
    Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2008
  5. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Top line:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/card/f/index.html

    >> Middle xD column heading - what's "2GMB". So much for how well that
    >> information has been proof-read!

    > That's two gigamegabytes. It's not available everywhere, and damn,
    > is it expensive!

    <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 5, 2008
  6. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:02:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Tony Sivori wrote:
    >
    >> Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb card
    >> in the F10, and if so did it work?

    > Top line:
    >
    > http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/card/f/index.html

    Nice find, Blinky. I see that it will take a 2 GB xD card in type M, M+,
    and H.

    Prior to posting I tried to help myself with a Google web search (no luck
    on a usenet search, either). What I got was a fair example of the decay of
    the usefulness of Google web search results.

    http://tinyurl.com/6378gq

    Most results were vendors and individuals selling F10s and xD cards.

    A few of the sellers implied that the 2 GB card worked with the F10. But
    most of those were in the UK, so I was concerned that the U.S. F10 might
    be a different version. Worse, there were nonsense results like this one:

    http://how-to-upgrade.com/dsp_memory.cfm?model_id=53025

    [BEGIN nonsense quote from how-to-upgrade.com]

    How to Upgrade Your Fuji Film FinePix F10

    According to industry reports, doubling the amount of RAM (memory) in your
    Fuji Film FinePix F10 could improve your computer performance by 50%.

    How Can Adding Memory Improve My Fuji Film FinePix F10 Performance?

    Improving your performance means your computer will be able to run
    multiple programs simultaneously. Say goodbye to running only one program
    at a time and hello to multi-tasking! Now you can leave your email program
    open as well as Microsoft Word, Quicken, and still surf the web! All you
    have to do is just toggle back and forth between all the different
    programs as you please. Best of all, it won't freeze up your computer as
    you do it if you have the extra memory!

    Plus, Increased Speed!

    More memory will also result in a faster startup of your computer. No more
    waiting the two or three minutes for your computer to boot up. Have you
    ever just wanted to quickly look something up on the web, or just check
    your email but didn't want to take the time to wait forever for your
    machine to start up? I know I have, and it is frustrating that you paid so
    much for your Fuji Film but can't use it for such simple things. Again,
    the leading benchmark testing companies say your machine will start
    approximately 33% faster just by doubling the memory

    [END nonsense quote from how-to-upgrade.com]

    So apparently, with a 2 GB xD card in my F10, I'll be able to run
    Microsoft Word, Quicken, "and still surf the web!"

    There were also the old reviews of the F10, back from when it was a new
    model.

    The first search result from a Fuji company web page is about 75 links
    down the page, and it is a link to a pdf of the F10 user manual.

    Tony Sivori, Jul 5, 2008
  7. Tony Sivori wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:02:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Tony Sivori wrote:
    >>
    >>> Camera documentation says 1GB is the limit. Has anyone tried a 2Gb
    >>> card in the F10, and if so did it work?

    >> Top line:
    >>
    >> http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/card/f/index.html

    > Nice find, Blinky. I see that it will take a 2 GB xD card in type M, M+,
    > and H.

    I have a couple of Fujis -- an S7000 bridge and an A820 compact. So I
    knew where to look. :)

    > Prior to posting I tried to help myself with a Google web search (no
    > luck on a usenet search, either). What I got was a fair example of the
    > decay of the usefulness of Google web search results.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6378gq
    >
    > Most results were vendors and individuals selling F10s and xD cards.

    Aye. Typical. You just have to slog through them. I use Firefox and the
    Customize Google extension, which blocks all of the sponsored ads (you can
    easily toggle that off, if you do want to see those ads), and I often
    search with these negations in the search

    -ebay -amazon

    That helps a bit.

    If you're interested, here's something on the differences between xD
    vanilla and M and H:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

    It's from 2006, but I'm not aware of any new breakthroughs in xD
    technology.

    > A few of the sellers implied that the 2 GB card worked with the F10. But
    > most of those were in the UK, so I was concerned that the U.S. F10 might
    > be a different version. Worse, there were nonsense results like this
    > one:

    <snip hype>

    > [END nonsense quote from how-to-upgrade.com]
    >
    > So apparently, with a 2 GB xD card in my F10, I'll be able to run
    > Microsoft Word, Quicken, "and still surf the web!"

    But will it download p*rn in the background while you're lying about
    yourself on the dating sites? ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2008
  8. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:55:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Tony Sivori wrote:
    >
    > Aye. Typical. You just have to slog through them. I use Firefox and
    > the Customize Google extension, which blocks all of the sponsored ads
    > (you can

    I don't mind their sponsored links - at least not as long as they stay
    clearly marked, off to the right and above the actual search results in a
    yellow box.

    > easily toggle that off, if you do want to see those ads), and I often
    > search with these negations in the search
    >
    > -ebay -amazon
    >
    > That helps a bit.

    Trying that, the number one result is still a vendor. After a very quick
    skim of the results, it looks like about 50% are still vendors, just not
    ebay and amazon. On the good side, relevant results do rank higher.

    > If you're interested, here's something on the differences between xD
    > vanilla and M and H:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

    That is interesting. My current card is a 1 GB H type. Circuit City has 2
    GB M+ cards (which claim 50% faster writes than plain M type) on sale this
    week for $30. If I can find the time, I think I'll pick up one.

    >> So apparently, with a 2 GB xD card in my F10, I'll be able to run
    >> Microsoft Word, Quicken, "and still surf the web!"

    > But will it download p*rn in the background while you're lying about
    > yourself on the dating sites? ;)

    If you didn't lie about yourself, you might not need the porn.

    As for myself, for some strange reason after telling them I am very tall,
    extremely handsome, and quite wealthy, I kept getting stood up on dates.
    When I send them email asking then why, I always got some variation of:
    "you weren't where you said you'd be, instead there was just some short,
    average guy in cheap clothes". :)

    Now I just tell the truth, and include a photo. It is much more
    efficient. No one I'd want ever answers. :)

    If you do want to lie, here is an example from someone who seems to have
    much practice:

    http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/cle/628259611.html

    If that doesn't work, here's some nice porn for you:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHUm6cgLbYY

    Tony Sivori, Jul 6, 2008
  9. Tony Sivori wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:55:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Tony Sivori wrote:
    >>
    >> Aye. Typical. You just have to slog through them. I use Firefox and
    >> the Customize Google extension, which blocks all of the sponsored ads
    >> (you can

    > I don't mind their sponsored links - at least not as long as they stay
    > clearly marked, off to the right and above the actual search results in a
    > yellow box.
    >
    >> easily toggle that off, if you do want to see those ads), and I often
    >> search with these negations in the search
    >>
    >> -ebay -amazon
    >>
    >> That helps a bit.

    > Trying that, the number one result is still a vendor. After a very quick
    > skim of the results, it looks like about 50% are still vendors, just not
    > ebay and amazon. On the good side, relevant results do rank higher.

    Yeah, ebay and amazon filters only work on ebay and amazon. ;)

    But I've done searches here where - at least for the first ten or so pages
    of hits - *most* of the results were amazon and ebay hits. In that
    situation, those negations make a significant difference. All depends on
    the nature of the search.

    >> If you're interested, here's something on the differences between xD
    >> vanilla and M and H:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

    > That is interesting. My current card is a 1 GB H type. Circuit City has
    > 2 GB M+ cards (which claim 50% faster writes than plain M type) on sale
    > this week for $30. If I can find the time, I think I'll pick up one.

    That's a good price? I haven't looked at xDs in quite a while, and I saw
    2GB SDs for $12 at my favorite electronic toy store Friday. Granted, they
    weren't "high speed". I have a pair of those from when they were packaged
    two for $22.

    >>> So apparently, with a 2 GB xD card in my F10, I'll be able to run
    >>> Microsoft Word, Quicken, "and still surf the web!"

    >> But will it download p*rn in the background while you're lying about
    >> yourself on the dating sites? ;)

    > If you didn't lie about yourself, you might not need the porn.

    Good point.

    > As for myself, for some strange reason after telling them I am very
    > tall, extremely handsome, and quite wealthy, I kept getting stood up on
    > dates. When I send them email asking then why, I always got some
    > variation of: "you weren't where you said you'd be, instead there was
    > just some short, average guy in cheap clothes". :)

    Short average guys in cheap clothes, like fat bottomed girls, make the
    rockin' world go 'round. Come to think of it, I'll bet those were all fat
    bottomed girls that stood you up.

    > Now I just tell the truth, and include a photo. It is much more
    > efficient. No one I'd want ever answers. :)
    >
    > If you do want to lie, here is an example from someone who seems to have
    > much practice:
    >
    > http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/cle/628259611.html

    Harf! :) "By this time you'll be thinking that I'm just like you, poor
    and smelly."

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 6, 2008
  10. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 14:42:11 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > That's a good price? I haven't looked at xDs in quite a while, and I
    > saw 2GB SDs for $12 at my favorite electronic toy store Friday. Granted,
    > they weren't "high speed". I have a pair of those from when they were
    > packaged two for $22.

    Yep, xD is still substantially more expensive than other card types. It's
    not often I'll let myself be locked in by proprietary hardware, but I just
    couldn't pass up the fantastic low light capability and battery life of
    the F10. It's been a good tool, and a nice toy.

    > Short average guys in cheap clothes, like fat bottomed girls, make the
    > rockin' world go 'round. Come to think of it, I'll bet those were all
    > fat bottomed girls that stood you up.

    Ah, all kidding aside, my last girlfriend was very hot. At 22, she was
    less than half my age. Sometimes fortune smiles.

    She became rather high maintenance in every way except for the one where I
    wanted her to be high maintenance (sex). So things fell apart. I'm sure
    she found another horny middle aged man in no time at all.

    Tony Sivori, Jul 7, 2008
  11. Tony Sivori wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 14:42:11 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> That's a good price? I haven't looked at xDs in quite a while, and I
    >> saw 2GB SDs for $12 at my favorite electronic toy store Friday. Granted,
    >> they weren't "high speed". I have a pair of those from when they were
    >> packaged two for $22.

    > Yep, xD is still substantially more expensive than other card types. It's
    > not often I'll let myself be locked in by proprietary hardware, but I just
    > couldn't pass up the fantastic low light capability and battery life of
    > the F10. It's been a good tool, and a nice toy.

    Is anybody but Fuji and Olympus using those?

    >> Short average guys in cheap clothes, like fat bottomed girls, make the
    >> rockin' world go 'round. Come to think of it, I'll bet those were all
    >> fat bottomed girls that stood you up.

    > Ah, all kidding aside, my last girlfriend was very hot. At 22, she was
    > less than half my age. Sometimes fortune smiles.

    Mmmmmmmm. :p

    > She became rather high maintenance in every way except for the one where I
    > wanted her to be high maintenance (sex). So things fell apart. I'm sure
    > she found another horny middle aged man in no time at all.

    That's probably the norm. Kinda been there. My last grilf was 33 to my
    49.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 7, 2008