2GB fiber switch compatible with Apple

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Phil, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    I have a client that wants a Mac compatible 2GB Fiber switch. H
    believes Compac has fiber switch for around 4500.- but not sure if it i
    compatible? Apple recommended a Fiber switch for 12K which is to
    expensive

    Here's the scenario..

    They have 2 G5 hi-definition setups accessing a Dual 1.33Ghz X-serve
    controlling a 2.52TB Xraid, with RAID 5 configuration. All connection
    will be via 2GB fiber channel

    Unfortunately, the Xserve has only 2 fiber ports, necessitating the nee
    for a 2GB fiber switch

    The big question is, what switches are compatible with Apple? :confused

    -
    Posted via Sportste
    http://sportstek.com

    Phil, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Phil

    Jeff C Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > I have a client that wants a Mac compatible 2GB Fiber switch. He
    > believes Compac has fiber switch for around 4500.- but not sure if it is
    > compatible? Apple recommended a Fiber switch for 12K which is too
    > expensive.
    >
    > Here's the scenario...
    >
    > They have 2 G5 hi-definition setups accessing a Dual 1.33Ghz X-serve,
    > controlling a 2.52TB Xraid, with RAID 5 configuration. All connections
    > will be via 2GB fiber channel.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the Xserve has only 2 fiber ports, necessitating the need
    > for a 2GB fiber switch.
    >
    > The big question is, what switches are compatible with Apple? :confused:

    I would have thought that a FibreChannel switch is a FC switch. Sort
    of like an ethernet switch is an ethernet switch. Lots of differences in
    manageability and supported features but is a standard protocol. Get
    Compaq/HP to loan you one to test.

    -jc

    Jeff C, Dec 27, 2003