    SJ Guest

    With my new Canon S3, I can't get my 2gb Sandisk card to "low level format".
    Is this necessary to format the SD card?

    SJ, Sep 11, 2006

  2. SJ wrote:
    > With my new Canon S3, I can't get my 2gb Sandisk card to "low level
    > format". Is this necessary to format the SD card?

    My recommendation is always to format the card in the camera, not the
    computer.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 11, 2006

  3. SJ

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:10:33 -0400, "SJ" <> wrote:

    >With my new Canon S3, I can't get my 2gb Sandisk card to "low level format".
    >Is this necessary to format the SD card?

    You can't do a LLF on a flash RAM device.
    As a rule, you should format the card in the camera, unless you are
    going to use the card as a "sneakernet" device, and will not use it in
    your camera.
    As for foprmating in the camera, the need to format the card is, for
    all practical purposes, nill (note the word "need"). Formatting is
    usually faster than "delete all" though, if you have a lot of images
    on the card.
    When you buy a new card, formatting isn't usually needed, either.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Sep 11, 2006
  4. SJ

    Philippe Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:10:33 -0400, "SJ" <> wrote:
    >

    >>With my new Canon S3, I can't get my 2gb Sandisk card to "low level format".
    >>Is this necessary to format the SD card?

    > You can't do a LLF on a flash RAM device.
    > As a rule, you should format the card in the camera, unless you are
    > going to use the card as a "sneakernet" device, and will not use it in
    > your camera.
    > As for foprmating in the camera, the need to format the card is, for
    > all practical purposes, nill (note the word "need"). Formatting is
    > usually faster than "delete all" though, if you have a lot of images
    > on the card.
    > When you buy a new card, formatting isn't usually needed, either.

    I understood (i.e. overheard a camera guy in the local store when
    talking to a nice lady that had just bought about $5000 in equipment)
    that the card formatting prevented the random error issue that sometimes
    renders cards unreadable.. Something about deleting not getting rid of
    all information and some garbage getting mixed in with the next set of
    pictures?

    Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me either way since I tend to
    format the card after I'm done unloading it (I am not obsessive
    compulsive.. I am *NOT* obsessive compulsive.. I am...), but I'd love to
    hear opinions on this..

    :)
    P.

    --
    I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)

    Philippe, Sep 11, 2006
  5. SJ

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Philippe wrote:
    > Bill Funk wrote:
    >> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:10:33 -0400, "SJ" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> With my new Canon S3, I can't get my 2gb Sandisk card to "low level
    >>> format".
    >>> Is this necessary to format the SD card?

    >> You can't do a LLF on a flash RAM device.
    >> As a rule, you should format the card in the camera, unless you are
    >> going to use the card as a "sneakernet" device, and will not use it in
    >> your camera.
    >> As for foprmating in the camera, the need to format the card is, for
    >> all practical purposes, nill (note the word "need"). Formatting is
    >> usually faster than "delete all" though, if you have a lot of images
    >> on the card.
    >> When you buy a new card, formatting isn't usually needed, either.

    > I understood (i.e. overheard a camera guy in the local store when
    > talking to a nice lady that had just bought about $5000 in equipment)
    > that the card formatting prevented the random error issue that sometimes
    > renders cards unreadable.. Something about deleting not getting rid of
    > all information and some garbage getting mixed in with the next set of
    > pictures?

    Shouldn't eavesdrop, just concentrate on nice ladies, particularly those
    that blow $5000 on equipment. What you heard is rubbish, however,
    formatting is quick and recommended.
    It's possible on some cameras such as canon that full directories may
    not get removed by erasure once they are emptied and no longer needed.
    I've never checked and don't know, but it would be a very minor issue
    anyway, wasting negligible space.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 11, 2006
  6. Philippe wrote:
    []
    > Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me either way since I tend to
    > format the card after I'm done unloading it (I am not obsessive
    > compulsive.. I am *NOT* obsessive compulsive.. I am...), but I'd love
    > to hear opinions on this..

    .... so please the newsgroup postings back over the last couple of years or
    so!

    My opinions and advice remain broadly the same.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 11, 2006
  7. SJ

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:10:33 -0400, "SJ" <> wrote:

    >With my new Canon S3, I can't get my 2gb Sandisk card to "low level format".
    >Is this necessary to format the SD card?

    I've used low level and the quicker (low level unchecked) format on a
    Sandisk 2gb in my S3 IS. Should work. But if the low level
    unchecked format works, that should be just about as good. Have you
    tried other SD cards? Might be a bad SD card.

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Sep 12, 2006
  8. SJ

    Bill Clark Guest

    A lot of the older and smaller capacity cards were USB enabled. That means that the USB controller was embedded in the card and any old (dumb) reader/writer could be used. With the larger cards, they seem to have dropped the USB enabled logic so you need a smarter reader/writer to deal with them.

    Bill Clark, Sep 12, 2006
  9. SJ

    SJ Guest

    "bitwisebob" <> wrote in message
    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:10:33 -0400, "SJ" <> wrote:

    >With my new Canon S3, I can't get my 2gb Sandisk card to "low level

    format".
    >Is this necessary to format the SD card?

    I've used low level and the quicker (low level unchecked) format on a
    Sandisk 2gb in my S3 IS. Should work. But if the low level
    unchecked format works, that should be just about as good. Have you
    tried other SD cards? Might be a bad SD card.

    Bob, I have determined the card is bad, I can't format it in my wifes SD400
    either. The EBAY seller is giving me a refund. thanks for the help

    SJ, Sep 12, 2006
  10. SJ

    bitwisebob Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:40:00 -0400, "SJ" <> wrote:

    >Bob, I have determined the card is bad, I can't format it in my wifes SD400
    >either. The EBAY seller is giving me a refund. thanks for the help

    good deal... nice you had anothter camera to test it in.

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    bitwisebob, Sep 13, 2006