2GB CF for $99 at Fry's today

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave R knows who, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. Kingston 50x 2GB CF.

    Any good? Normally I use only Lexar 40x or better.

    Dave R knows who, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Dave R knows who

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Kingston 50x 2GB CF.
    >Any good? Normally I use only Lexar 40x or better.

    You can check on Galbraith's site to see how the Kingston compares to
    your Lexar for different cameras ... that's a good price ... for my
    cameras the Kingston is significantly slower, but that's a damn good
    price :) Note your Lexar has a life-time warranty and the Kingston
    doesn't, FWIW.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 22, 2005

  3. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >Kingston 50x 2GB CF.
    >>Any good? Normally I use only Lexar 40x or better.

    > You can check on Galbraith's site to see how the Kingston compares to
    > your Lexar for different cameras ... that's a good price ... for my
    > cameras the Kingston is significantly slower, but that's a damn good
    > price :) Note your Lexar has a life-time warranty and the Kingston
    > doesn't, FWIW.
    >
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    >
    > Bill

    The card at Fry's is the Kinsgston "Elite Pro" which according to the chart
    on your link was in the top 10% of all cards for write speed. The standard
    Kingston card is slower. Sounds like an excellent deal to me.

    Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig, Jul 23, 2005
  4. "Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig" <testing@123> wrote in message

    > "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    >> >Kingston 50x 2GB CF.
    >>>Any good? Normally I use only Lexar 40x or better.

    >> You can check on Galbraith's site to see how the Kingston compares to
    >> your Lexar for different cameras ... that's a good price ... for my
    >> cameras the Kingston is significantly slower, but that's a damn good
    >> price :) Note your Lexar has a life-time warranty and the Kingston
    >> doesn't, FWIW.
    >>
    >> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>

    > The card at Fry's is the Kinsgston "Elite Pro" which according to the
    > chart on your link was in the top 10% of all cards for write speed. The
    > standard Kingston card is slower. Sounds like an excellent deal to me.

    I just did some unofficial testing. On my 300D and 1D I've never had a
    problem with speed in-camera. These cameras are just too old I figure. It's
    out of the camera, when downloading the to PC using a USB2 card reader is
    where I most notice the speed of the cards. I use mostly Lexar 40x and 80x
    but I have a few safety "backup" cards like the non-rated Lexar 512 version
    and you really notice it is VERY slow to download.

    So my test was head to head with a Lexar 40x. I copied the same 980MB of
    TIF's from my 1D onto both cards from the hard drive. Rebooted, allowed the
    machine to settle for five minutes, and then read both cards with my USB2
    reader.

    First the Lexar 40x: 5m37s. Next I did the Kingston Elite Pro 50x: 7m10s.

    Unofficially the Lexar 40x was significantly faster than the Kingston 50x.

    Officially? I'm going back for another tonight as a backup!

    Dave R knows who, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Dave R knows who

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Dave R knows who wrote:
    > "Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig" <testing@123> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message

    >>>You can check on Galbraith's site to see how the Kingston compares to
    >>>your Lexar for different cameras ... that's a good price ... for my
    >>>cameras the Kingston is significantly slower, but that's a damn good
    >>>price :) Note your Lexar has a life-time warranty and the Kingston
    >>>doesn't, FWIW.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    >>>
    >>>Bill
    >>>

    >>The card at Fry's is the Kinsgston "Elite Pro" which according to the
    >>chart on your link was in the top 10% of all cards for write speed. The
    >>standard Kingston card is slower. Sounds like an excellent deal to me.

    > I just did some unofficial testing. On my 300D and 1D I've never had a
    > problem with speed in-camera. These cameras are just too old I figure. It's
    > out of the camera, when downloading the to PC using a USB2 card reader is
    > where I most notice the speed of the cards. I use mostly Lexar 40x and 80x
    > but I have a few safety "backup" cards like the non-rated Lexar 512 version
    > and you really notice it is VERY slow to download.
    >
    > So my test was head to head with a Lexar 40x. I copied the same 980MB of
    > TIF's from my 1D onto both cards from the hard drive. Rebooted, allowed the
    > machine to settle for five minutes, and then read both cards with my USB2
    > reader.
    >
    > First the Lexar 40x: 5m37s. Next I did the Kingston Elite Pro 50x: 7m10s.
    >
    > Unofficially the Lexar 40x was significantly faster than the Kingston 50x.
    >
    > Officially? I'm going back for another tonight as a backup!

    Hi Dave...

    I can't help wondering if the results would have been
    the same if you did your testing in the reverse order
    as well...

    ie, reboot. Read the Kingston, then the Lexar.

    Be curious to see if the result is the same.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Dave R knows who

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >The card at Fry's is the Kinsgston "Elite Pro" which according to the chart
    >on your link was in the top 10% of all cards for write speed.

    That would depend on your camera model ... for my Canon 1D Mark II the
    fastest Kingston isn't in the top 10% for jpeg write speed ...
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6896

    I shoot only RAW mode so that's what I look for and this card even
    slower with RAW, the fastest Sandisk cards are rated about 7.2 MB/sec
    (about 48x) while the fastest Kingston is rated only 4.5 MB/sec or 30x.
    It takes me about 30 seconds to clear the write buffer when I burst 20
    shots with the cards I have and it would take between 45-50 sec to
    clear with the Kingston, which is significant to me.

    Still, at $99 it's a great bargain.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 23, 2005
  7. Dave R knows who

    Kitt Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    > >Kingston 50x 2GB CF.
    > >Any good? Normally I use only Lexar 40x or better.

    > You can check on Galbraith's site to see how the Kingston compares to
    > your Lexar for different cameras ... that's a good price ... for my
    > cameras the Kingston is significantly slower, but that's a damn good
    > price :) Note your Lexar has a life-time warranty and the Kingston
    > doesn't, FWIW.
    >
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    >
    > Bill

    Specs say 8MB/sec write speed and 10 read. The ad says it *does* have
    a lifetime warranty and there's no hurry since the rebate is good till
    the 31st. Maybe I'm missing something?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820160033

    Kitt, Jul 23, 2005
  8. Dave R knows who

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Kitt writes ...
    >
    >Specs say 8MB/sec write speed and 10 read.

    These would be lab results. You won't get these write time results in
    any cameras yet available so you can't go by the 'rated' speed, you
    have to actually test it with the specific camera. As one example, in
    my 1D Mark II a Sandisk Ultra II rated at 66x has a measured speed of
    46x for clearing out a 10 shot RAW burst, while a Lexar 80x with Write
    Acceleration (which should be faster than a 66x card, right?) measures
    only 29x.

    >The ad says it *does* have a lifetime warranty

    Good. That removes *that* worry :)

    >Maybe I'm missing something?

    Read the Galbraith page and test like he does, shooting a burst and
    measuring how long it takes for the red write light to go off. Then
    load the images in the computer and see what the total byte count is
    and then divide it out to get the actual real-life speed. It's always
    slower for fast cards than the rated card speed because the cameras
    aren't as fast as the cards (theoretically) are.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 23, 2005
  9. Dave R knows who

    Kitt Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    > >Kitt writes ...
    > >
    > >Specs say 8MB/sec write speed and 10 read.

    > These would be lab results. You won't get these write time results in
    > any cameras yet available so you can't go by the 'rated' speed, you
    > have to actually test it with the specific camera. As one example, in
    > my 1D Mark II a Sandisk Ultra II rated at 66x has a measured speed of
    > 46x for clearing out a 10 shot RAW burst, while a Lexar 80x with Write
    > Acceleration (which should be faster than a 66x card, right?) measures
    > only 29x.

    Thanks for the info. I tend to believe too much of what I read in ads.
    I still tend to buy the cheapest cards I can find because the speed
    really isn't that critical to me. I have mostly no "x" cards and I've
    still never been able to outshoot one of them. I've probably shot
    bursts or 8 or 10 several times and the camera has always kept up, so I
    haven't found the speed of the card to be of any consequence to me on
    that end. When it comes to downloading, I never stick around anyway.
    I just get a cup of coffee or just wander off and when I get back, it's
    done. I can see how the card speed would be critical to a more serious
    amateur or a pro, but for me, price is the top consideration.

    You know, it's a little OT, but I'm really amazed by the speed of the
    D70, having come from an FG and other manual film SLR's. I also have
    had a couple point and shoot digitals, but never a motor winder or
    drive. The first time I hit the D70 shutter release almost a couple
    times in a row, almost by accident, my reaction was.. "OMG, it really
    *is* fast". I'm still amazed, eight months and more than 4000
    actuations later.

    > >The ad says it *does* have a lifetime warranty

    > Good. That removes *that* worry :)

    I guess I should have highlighted *says* too, for my own benefit so as
    not to believe everything I read in ads. ;o)

    > >Maybe I'm missing something?

    > Read the Galbraith page and test like he does, shooting a burst and
    > measuring how long it takes for the red write light to go off. Then
    > load the images in the computer and see what the total byte count is
    > and then divide it out to get the actual real-life speed. It's always
    > slower for fast cards than the rated card speed because the cameras
    > aren't as fast as the cards (theoretically) are.
    >
    > Bill

    That would explain why I can't get ahead of them, even with the cheap
    normal speed cards.

    Kitt

    Kitt, Jul 23, 2005
  10. Dave R knows who

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 22 Jul 2005 18:23:53 -0700, "Kitt" <> wrote:

    >Bill Hilton wrote:
    >> >Kingston 50x 2GB CF.
    >> >Any good? Normally I use only Lexar 40x or better.

    >> You can check on Galbraith's site to see how the Kingston compares to
    >> your Lexar for different cameras ... that's a good price ... for my
    >> cameras the Kingston is significantly slower, but that's a damn good
    >> price :) Note your Lexar has a life-time warranty and the Kingston
    >> doesn't, FWIW.
    >>
    >> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    >>
    >> Bill

    >Specs say 8MB/sec write speed and 10 read. The ad says it *does* have
    >a lifetime warranty and there's no hurry since the rebate is good till
    >the 31st. Maybe I'm missing something?
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820160033

    Wrong company. The CF card being discussed is in a Fry's Electronics
    ad (print); I can't find it on Outpost.com.
    The sale is good until Wednesday.
    No rebate required, if I read the ad right. (I don't have it in front
    of me)
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jul 23, 2005
  11. Dave R knows who

    Kitt Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:

    > >> You can check on Galbraith's site to see how the Kingston compares to
    > >> your Lexar for different cameras ... that's a good price ... for my
    > >> cameras the Kingston is significantly slower, but that's a damn good
    > >> price :) Note your Lexar has a life-time warranty and the Kingston
    > >> doesn't, FWIW.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    > >>
    > >> Bill

    > >Specs say 8MB/sec write speed and 10 read. The ad says it *does* have
    > >a lifetime warranty and there's no hurry since the rebate is good till
    > >the 31st. Maybe I'm missing something?
    > >
    > >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820160033

    > Wrong company. The CF card being discussed is in a Fry's Electronics
    > ad (print); I can't find it on Outpost.com.
    > The sale is good until Wednesday.
    > No rebate required, if I read the ad right. (I don't have it in front
    > of me)

    I've never seen a Fry's, but I think it's strictly brick and mortar,
    right? Unfortunately, I don't think southern PA has such an animal.
    Is Outpost their online version? Believe me, I'd much rather avoid
    rebates, but if you jump through all their hoops, you do eventually get
    your money. So much easier to buy it on sale, but all we have close
    are Staples and Office Max who seldom have the good deals. I just
    posted the link for the benefit of anyone in the same fix since the
    price is close to what you folks were talking about.

    Kitt

    Kitt, Jul 23, 2005
  12. Al and Donna Clark, Jul 24, 2005
  13. Dave R knows who

    vixen2yall Guest

    Dave R knows who wrote:
    > Kingston 50x 2GB CF.
    >
    > Any good? Normally I use only Lexar 40x or better.

    grrrr... and i have to live where they don't have a frys... bugger!

    vixen2yall, Jul 24, 2005
  14. Dave R knows who

    vixen2yall Guest

    vixen2yall, Jul 24, 2005