    would choose the 3560 over the 2960?

    Thank You
    Ned Hart

    Ned, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Ned

    Guest

    Ned wrote:
    > We have serveral 3560's at the access layer, 3750's at the
    > distribution, and a 4507 at the core. We need more access layer
    > switches but the 3560G's are expensive. I noticed that the 2960 is a
    > good deal cheaper but it works at layer 2. Some of our future uses
    > will include VOIP, multicasting, vlans, and port security. I think
    > these can all be handled by a 2960 layer 2 switch. Any reasons why I
    > would choose the 3560 over the 2960?

    I supect that this is exactly what the 2960 was designed for.

    No "hands on" though.

    , Sep 15, 2006

  3. Ned

    Scooby Guest

    "Ned" <> wrote in message
    > We have serveral 3560's at the access layer, 3750's at the
    > distribution, and a 4507 at the core. We need more access layer
    > switches but the 3560G's are expensive. I noticed that the 2960 is a
    > good deal cheaper but it works at layer 2. Some of our future uses
    > will include VOIP, multicasting, vlans, and port security. I think
    > these can all be handled by a 2960 layer 2 switch. Any reasons why I
    > would choose the 3560 over the 2960?
    >
    > Thank You
    > Ned Hart

    Ned,

    From a data standpoint, the 3560 is overkill for an access switch and a 2960
    should work well for your purposes. I'd make sure to get one that supports
    the enhanced image for RSTP and the AutoQOS features. One main
    consideration is for the VoIP - if you plan on using the POE switches, I
    believe that only the 3560's will be able to do that for you. I currently
    use all 3560's with POE for my VoIP devices, and then a 2950/2960 for
    additional devices that will not be connected through a phone (such as Jet
    Direct printers, terminal servers, etc...).

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Thanks. I'll look into the enhanced image.

    Ned, Sep 15, 2006