2948G-L3 DHCP through VLANs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by David Hopper, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. David Hopper

    David Hopper Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a fairly basic setup, but I've run down too many rabbit holes to
    count. Each 12-port block on a 2948G-L3 is a bridge, with a bvi
    attached thusly to each:

    bvi 1 bvi 2 bvi 3 bvi 4
    10.10.0.1/22 10.10.4.1/22 10.10.8.1/22 10.10.12.1/22
    bridge-group 1 bridge-group 2 bridge-group 3 bridge-group 4

    Each port is unnumbered, with the exception of my 'uplink' port 48.
    Most internal devices on each bridge are unmanaged Netgear switches. My
    DHCP server, transparent (squid) proxy and external gateway (one box,
    two ints) sits currently on port 48 at 192.168.1.2 (not specified as
    part of a bridge). I've specified 'ip helper 192.168.1.2' on each
    interface, and also on each bvi just for giggles.

    Currently the DHCP request header for a client on any VLAN is getting
    stamped with the port 48 IP, which makes the request fail on the DHCP
    server. How can I specify the VLANS such that the incoming DHCP request
    header has the correct bvi subnet?

    Thanks much!
    Dave

    David Hopper, Oct 15, 2003

  2. David Hopper

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <FQ3jb.97423$2.webusenet.com>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a fairly basic setup, but I've run down too many rabbit holes to
    > count. Each 12-port block on a 2948G-L3 is a bridge, with a bvi
    > attached thusly to each:
    >
    > bvi 1 bvi 2 bvi 3 bvi 4
    > 10.10.0.1/22 10.10.4.1/22 10.10.8.1/22 10.10.12.1/22
    > bridge-group 1 bridge-group 2 bridge-group 3 bridge-group 4
    >
    > Each port is unnumbered, with the exception of my 'uplink' port 48.
    > Most internal devices on each bridge are unmanaged Netgear switches. My
    > DHCP server, transparent (squid) proxy and external gateway (one box,
    > two ints) sits currently on port 48 at 192.168.1.2 (not specified as
    > part of a bridge). I've specified 'ip helper 192.168.1.2' on each
    > interface, and also on each bvi just for giggles.
    >
    > Currently the DHCP request header for a client on any VLAN is getting
    > stamped with the port 48 IP, which makes the request fail on the DHCP
    > server. How can I specify the VLANS such that the incoming DHCP request
    > header has the correct bvi subnet?

    IP HELPER under BVI is the correct answer. If that's not working, it
    might be a bug.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Oct 16, 2003