2924 Different Versions - I'm looking for a photo of the old one!

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by news.ntlworld.com, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. Hello All,

    I am sure most of you are aware of the two different batches of Cisco 2924
    switches...

    The first initial batch of the 2924 switch was released with only 4meg of
    DRAM, but Cisco later released the EXACT same switch but with 8meg of DRAM
    and support for Trunk ports. Both had EXACTLY the same model number, so for
    listing purposes you would not know the difference!! More information can be
    found here ... http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/36.shtml#notes

    I learnt this the hard way on ebay and found the old 4mb version is not very
    easy to shift. I would now like to write a little tutorial explaining the
    difference between the two 4mb and 8mb versions and place it as a little
    help on my website ... www.jlsnet.co.uk There are a few different ways to
    tell the two models apart. One big difference is the unit size, the older
    4mb version is bigger, another way to tell is the port numbering is either
    embossed (4mb) or printed in yellow (8mb).

    This is my question! Does anyone have a 4mb 2924 version with embossed port
    numbers, If so would you be willing to take a good quality digital photo of
    the front of the unit, close up to the port numbers to mach this photo
    http://www.jlsnet.co.uk/2900.jpg of an 8mb version (as close a match as can
    be). I would like to show a comparison of the two fronts up close to help
    diferenciate the two models. I would give you credit on my website! :)

    This is some of the information I have so far, if you have anymore to add
    let me know...

    Old 2924 4Meg Version
    =================
    4Mb DRAM
    Dimensions and Weight (H x W x D)
    1.73 x 17.5 x 14.0 in. (4.4 x 44.5 x 33.0 cm)
    1 rack unit (RU) high
    Latest IOS you can put on it is 11.2.8-12(SA6).bin
    Port numbers are imbossed on front.

    switch#sh ver
    System image file is "flash:c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6.bin", booted via

    cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 4096K/640K
    bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 0x07, with hardware revision 0x00

    New 2924 8Meg Version
    =================
    8Mb DRAM
    Dimensions and Weight (H x W x D)
    1.73 x 17.5 x 9.79 in. (4.4 x 44.5 x 24.8 cm)
    1 rack unit (RU) high
    7 lb. (3.2 kg)
    Port numbers are printed in yellow on the front.

    switch#sh ver
    System image file is "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC11.bin"

    cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K
    bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FAB0438U050, with hardware revision 0x01

    cheers,

    Jim

    news.ntlworld.com, Jun 28, 2005

  2. news.ntlworld.com

    Hansang Bae Guest

    news.ntlworld.com wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am sure most of you are aware of the two different batches of Cisco
    > 2924 switches...
    >
    > The first initial batch of the 2924 switch was released with only
    > 4meg of DRAM, but Cisco later released the EXACT same switch but with
    > 8meg of DRAM and support for Trunk ports. Both had EXACTLY the same
    > model number, so for listing purposes you would not know the
    > difference!! More information can be found here ...
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/36.shtml#notes

    [snip]

    **

    From: Question 78
    Date: 02 February 2002
    Subject: How do I tell the difference between the different 2900 XL
    switches?
    Answer by: Terry Kennedy <>

    > There are two versions of the Catalyst 2900 switch - the
    > 2900 XL and the 2900 M XL. The 'M' model has two
    > spots above the ethernet ports for the GBIC modules
    > to slide into. The 'M' is about twice the height of the
    > non-M switch.

    And it's even more confusing than that. Older 2900XL M-series had 16
    ports and less memory and can't run current software, so it is likely
    that the Gigabit Ethernet modules wouldn't work in those units.

    A handy way to tell if a 2900XL can run current software is to look
    at the port numbers next to the LED's on the base unit. If the numbers
    are yellow, it can run current software. If they're white or just etched
    in the plastic without any color, the switch is stuck running the older
    software. Note that you have to look at the ports on the base unit - it
    is possible to have a V-series expansion module with yellow numbers in-
    stalled in an older M-series switch.

    **

    --

    hsb