292 Blues...

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. Ok, I just took the 292 for the second time. I knew that I was
    underprepared the first time, so I worked on it in my spare time for a
    couple of weeks. Felt much better about it, heard birds possibly chirping,
    clicked "I'm done," and...

    didn't pass.

    Ok, not the end of the world. And I've seen much of the conversation here
    about the difficulties. What I don't quite get is the scoring. There are
    six categories on the test. Simply adding the bars together I was well over
    the 70% (700 out of 1000) needed. But I did score lower than 70% on three
    of the categories.

    Do I need to:

    1> Just quit whining and become perfect?
    2> Bring all categories up above 70%?
    3> Bring most (ie, 5) categories above 70%?

    It's not as clear cut in terms of what skillset category I should focus on.

    I might add that this one is particularly frustrating. Especially if you
    add in the "there are some questions that don't count" issue. 40 questions,
    equally spread would give 6-7 questions per category. In order to get 70%
    means essentially getting 5 questions right. Add to that some of the
    questions seem to be particularly squirrely in terms of scenario.

    These scenarios may be more appropriate to real life, but real life doesn't
    give you a 2 hour stopwatch.

    Ah, well. Sorry if this sounds like whining (dusting myself off and getting
    back on the horse). I absolutely understand and applaud the attempt to make
    the certifications more meaningful by making the exams more challenging.

    And I absolutely reserve the right, once I've passed it, to make
    condescending comments about people who complain about the exam later on<g>.

    --
    RL (failure has a name...) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT
    NorthEast Ohio

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT, Jun 6, 2005

  2. RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT

    T-Bone Guest

    "RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT" <RLCoppedge around hotmail not-dash-but
    com> wrote
    > 1> Just quit whining and become perfect?
    > 2> Bring all categories up above 70%?
    > 3> Bring most (ie, 5) categories above 70%?

    Couple of suggestions:

    First of all, stop shooting for the bare minimum, which by the way is not
    70% or 700/1000. The pass mark is 700, the total score is not published and
    it varies from test to test. Focus on the catergories you were weak in, by
    all means.

    Second, change tactics. How are you preparing for the exam? What materials?
    Are you working hands-on? PAssing the exams is one thing, being able to work
    hands-on and know what you are doing is what will count when push comes to
    shove.

    Good luck and keep trying.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Jun 6, 2005

  3. Good advice, all. My "prepping" for the exam has been:

    I've actually performed about 3 AD migrations from NT to 2k3 so far this
    year, including Exchange and all that good stuff. So I'm using the tools,
    etc. In addition, I've got a VPC-based network to play with, and for booky
    stuff, the Microsoft self-paced 292/296 books. I started out working with
    the Sybex book, but really didn't like how it measured up against what I saw
    in the first exam.

    My biggest weakness would seem to be (again, not liking how the feedback
    focuses that) would be in the more advanced/subtle issues of DNS.

    And I'm not shooting for the bare minimum, just trying to figure out how to
    use the feedback to do better.

    Oh, but I will survive. Yes I will. And I will pass. Yes, I will.
    And...and...start getting ready for the next exam. Aw, crap<g>.

    --
    RL (Improving myself) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT, Jun 7, 2005
  4. RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT

    Hool Guest

    I'v passed it from the 4th time (thnkx GOD or Bill(?))
    but just got 775... :(

    Hool, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Congrats...and I think if you thank one, the other hears about it very
    quickly<g>.

    Unless, of course, their DNS is bad.

    --
    RL (God is my co-dependent) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Before you go any further I suggest you take a look at:

    http://www.netfresco.com/cert/70-292/

    I took 070-292 FIVE times, before saying screw it and taking 290 and 291,
    which were both easier, IMO. (a lot LONGER, 3 hour 45 minute tests!, but
    easier)

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYy1NQ1NFMks=?=, Jun 8, 2005
  7. RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT

    LiS

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Oh I am not liking the sound of this exam :damnmate:

    Took NT4 MCSE from scratch in 1999, took the 2000 upgrade in 2000 ... then had 7 years off techie exams. Now I am trying to get off my bum and get 70-292 and 70-296 done but the reviews are scary! I've ot failed one yet but there is a first time for everything. Is it just me or does 296 seem less awful than 292? (Apart from I have forgotten how to do subnetting!)

    I have been working with W2K3 for a couple of years and having just bought the transcenders to test myself I'm getting around 80% with much looking up of stuff in the W2K3 admins handbook. I am aiming to take these exams by the end of the month so I will let you know how I go!

    Li

    PS If anyone has worked out when you would use a stub zone, when you would use conditional forwarding, and when you would use delegation (assuming parent to child domains), please share 8)

    LiS, Dec 29, 2007