    --
    George Martin
    MCP

    gtmartin_mcp, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Try www.learntosubnet.com
    I'm having the same problem getting my head around it all and this site has
    helped.

    Fraser

    Fraser Scott, MCP, Jun 26, 2007

  3. gtmartin_mcp

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Fraser Scott, MCP" <> wrote in message
    > Try www.learntosubnet.com
    > I'm having the same problem getting my head around it all and this site
    > has helped.
    >
    > Fraser
    > "gtmartin_mcp" <> wrote in message
    >>I have read the 291 MOAC and have utilized STS in my training for 291
    >>exam.
    >> I took it June 8th and failed with a 572. Although not bad concidering I
    >> have had little time to study since my class is moving quite fast and I
    >> just
    >> started a new job in the IT field my weakest topic was IP Addressing. I
    >> was
    >> very strong in RRAS and Network Security I was somewhere under 50% with
    >> the
    >> IP addressing and that was my lowest. If anyone has any pointers or
    >> anywhere
    >> I can go to get extra material to help me study for the exam again by
    >> this
    >> Friday would be greatly appreciated. Again it was the IP addressing part
    >> of
    >> 291 that got me. DHCP and DNS, I thought I was knowledgeable in these
    >> subjects but it looks like not good enough.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> --
    >> George Martin
    >> MCP

    Hi George and Fraser

    I'm not planning to take my 291 exam anytime soon as I need a lot more
    networking experience, but one of my degree modules was in networking and I
    was lucky in that the subnetting part just "clicked" with me and I found it
    enjoyable (yes, I know I need to get out more!!)

    I found it easiest to break IP addresses down into binary so I could
    identify the common "network" bits, compare them with the subnet mask and
    check whether IP addresses were in the same subnet or not. It will also
    help speed up your calculations if you commit the following bit patterns to
    memory:-

    10000000 = 128
    11000000 = 192
    11100000 = 224
    11110000 = 240
    11111000 = 248
    11111100 = 252
    11111110 = 254
    11111111 = 255

    And possibly:-
    11010000 = 208
    10110000 = 176
    10100000 = 160
    10010000 = 144

    Hope this helps.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Jun 26, 2007
  4. My problem is that I cannot see, understand, the uses for subnetting. In
    the context of the MS Training Kit is goes on about the ISP allocates you a
    block of addresses.

    I think what I, and probably every else, would find useful is some real
    world experience. I work for a small IT firm that only administers small
    networks.

    I think one day the penny will drop and it will all become clear, but until
    then I keep on trying to make sense of it all on my home network

    Fraser

    Fraser Scott, MCP, Jun 26, 2007
  5. gtmartin_mcp

    CBIC Guest

    > My problem is that I cannot see, understand, the uses for subnetting. In
    > the context of the MS Training Kit is goes on about the ISP allocates you
    > a block of addresses.
    >
    > I think what I, and probably every else, would find useful is some real
    > world experience. I work for a small IT firm that only administers small
    > networks.
    >
    > I think one day the penny will drop and it will all become clear, but
    > until then I keep on trying to make sense of it all on my home network
    >
    > Fraser

    It's because MS gears these tests toward people with experience
    administering large corporate networks.

    CBIC, Jun 26, 2007
  6. I sort of understand the concept of it but I am having problems in
    understanding when you would use it. If you want to slit a network wouldn't
    you just use a different ip range, ie 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24?

    I have the feeling that if I could understand the uses for subnetting it
    might, and I stress might, become a little easier to understand.

    Fraser

    Fraser Scott, MCP, Jun 27, 2007
  7. "Fraser Scott, MCP" <> wrote in

    > I have the feeling that if I could understand the uses for subnetting
    > it might, and I stress might, become a little easier to understand.

    To oversimplify things you would want to subnet to keep broadcast
    traffic down. If you just put every computer on your network in
    10.0.0.1/8 and had 2 million computers to deal with your network
    equipment would probably catch on fire. :p Or at the very least there
    would be so much network traffic and
    collisions that it would take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to access anything.

    Keep in mind there are many more reasons to subnet for security and such
    as well... but you needed some basic use.

    Also, the IP ranges you have defined are very limited. In your example
    you can only put 254 computers on each network. What if you needed 259
    computers? If you subnet correctly you can avoid the use of unnecessary
    routers. What if you are using public IP addresses? You wouldn't want to
    just take 314.25.24.1/24 and 314.25.24.2/24 at random if you only need 8
    computers per network.

    Hope this helps.

    Red Swingline Stapler, Jun 27, 2007