    Are there features I would lose by going from 2900 to 3500 series switch?

    Would I be able to just drop my config.text file into the 3500 and be up
    and running ?

    JF Mezei, Jun 13, 2007

  2. JF Mezei <> writes:
    >Due to lightning, I am looking at a replacement for a 2924 XL-EN switch.

    >If I were to get a 3525 XL -EN switch, is this just a more recent
    >version of the 2924 with , I assume, a faster processor ? ( the 3500
    >went out of sale in 2003 a couple years after 2900 series)

    Hmm, I seem to remember the 3524XL being out about the same time the 2924XL
    was out. Although the 2924 (non XL) was out earlier..

    You won't get a faster processor. The only difference between the two?
    The 3524 has two GBIC slots on it. Otherwise, its identical.

    >Are there features I would lose by going from 2900 to 3500 series switch?

    No, its the same.

    >Would I be able to just drop my config.text file into the 3500 and be up
    >and running ?

    Sure, and your vlan.dat file too if you have any VLANs
    setup. Otherwise, if you don't have that file backed up, you'll have
    to do all that by hand again, or suck it down via VTP. Thanks cisco for
    making that alot better in later switch hardware.

    You'll gain GigabitEthernet 0/1 and GigabitEthernet 0/2 ports for your
    config, but everything else will be identical, assuming you load
    simular enough versions of IOS on it.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 14, 2007

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > You won't get a faster processor. The only difference between the two?
    > The 3524 has two GBIC slots on it. Otherwise, its identical.

    Thanks for your quick reply.

    JF Mezei, Jun 14, 2007