    Jamestown, CO 80455
    303-544-0860

    www.jimtown.org
    Jonathan Ashton, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Orange doesn't mean bad port. Red is a bad port. Orange usually means
    initializing, or spanning tree is blocking. I suppose its possible the port
    could just stay orange and not be working. However, I've had more than my
    share of bad ports on 2900xls, and they aren't always red. Sometimes they
    just never come on. There's not a whole lot you can do about them.

    "Jonathan Ashton" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Cisco Users,
    >
    > I own a Cisco 2900 Catalyst 24 port switch. Some of the ethernet ports are
    > showing orange, and not working. Is there a way to reset them, or fix

    them.

    Craig Johnson, Feb 24, 2004

  3. "Craig Johnson" <> wrote:

    Craig, do you know it this can be done??? What's funny (sort of) is my
    cable when out yesterday for a few hours. If this can be done, I would
    of been all set.. :)

    I have a 2900xl with (2) vlans one for cable and the other
    for dial-up modem/router. What I want to know is there anyway to
    switch config files by way of a batch file. What I'd like to be able
    to do is if the cable goes out have the 2900 get a second config file
    loaded. This config would switch all the ports that are set for cable
    vlan to the vlan for the dial-up modem/router. I'd ping my cable isp
    or google to see if the cable was ok, if it timed out run a batch file
    (of some sort) that would load the second config file. That would
    switch all the ports that are on the cable vlan to the vlan for the
    dial-up modem/router vlan. Can this be done?

    Many Thanks..
    gene martinez, Feb 24, 2004
  4. I don't think you can do this with a simple batch file. You'd need a way to
    telnet into the router and change the config or have it download another
    config. There are scripting tools that will do this kind of thing, but I'm
    not really familiar with them.

    Craig Johnson, CCIE #6965

    Craig Johnson, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Wait a minute..... Your a CCIE and you don't know everything about
    all cisco products??? Something is fishy here.... :)

    gene martinez, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Jonathan Ashton

    Ivan Golovin Guest

    Hello!

    You can, for example, set up tftp server and keep two different configs
    there. And make the switch to load one of them with SNMP request.

    Another way is to set up rsh access on switch and create a script on other
    host which will do rsh to switch and issue 'copy tftp run' command.

    But you should be very carefull with config swapping, because you can lose
    connectivity to switch and have to restore it with console. It would be
    better if you change not the whole config, but apply only the changes to
    interfaces, acl, etc.

    --
    Ivan

    Ivan Golovin, Feb 25, 2004
  7. Jonathan Ashton

    Clark_Harris Guest

    Question about the original post in this thread: Are you certain all the
    ports are enabled? If they are disabled for anything, even error-disabled,
    they show orange as well. You can cheek this through the CLI or Menu. Any
    other concerns, I would be glad to help!

    --
    Roger Hilt
    Network Infrastructure Technician

    Clark_Harris, Feb 25, 2004