    Pro815 is supposed to, but I have yet to see either a review or a
    retailer selling them.

    -Cardamon Dave

    Cardamon Dave, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Cardamon Dave

    piperut Guest

    Cardamon Dave wrote:
    > Boy, I've been jilted. New Canon Powershot S60 can't produce sharp
    > pictures at its wide-angle (28mm in 35mm equiv.) setting. Either the
    > edges or center of all images are blurry and distorted. Can't even read
    > the street signs in my shots. And the purple fringing is severe, even
    > in moderately contrasty subjects. What a downer.
    >
    > (BTW, this wasn't a camera shake issue. I had the same issues when the
    > camera was set on a tripod or a firm support.)
    >
    > Has anyone found--and actually used!--a good wide-angle non-DSLR
    > digicam that can produce sharp images across the frame? That Samsung
    > Pro815 is supposed to, but I have yet to see either a review or a
    > retailer selling them.
    >
    > -Cardamon Dave

    Hi Dave,

    Before giving up on the camera try using a couple of programs to fix
    the images -

    If you have Adobe, try the unsharp mask. If you do not have adobe, try
    downloading either GIMP, and the unsharp mask, or PICASA 2, and then
    use the I'm feeling lucky button on the menu.

    Those programs are if you are on a Windows Box. If you are on a Linux
    or FreeBSD box, then you should have GIMP install, and you can try the
    unsharp mask. If you are on a Mac, I am afraid I am not going to be
    much help other then I was told that Adobe came from Mac's to begin
    with.

    Now, if you are on a FreeBSD box, you should be able to find a version
    of GIMP that will run on it.

    Solaris, I have no clue!

    A Unix box, again, you should be able to find a version of GIMP to use.
    GIMP is not as user friendly as Adobe, but it does work. It is just a
    little clunky.

    Even with a Canon Digital Rebel, I find I have to do a little bit of
    color balancing on the computer before printing.

    roland

    piperut, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Cardamon Dave wrote:
    []
    > Has anyone found--and actually used!--a good wide-angle non-DSLR
    > digicam that can produce sharp images across the frame?

    Nikon Coolpix 8400 - 24mm as-supplied, 19mm with attachment. I have the
    plain 8MP 8400 and I've been delighted with it.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Cardamon Dave

    ecm Guest

    My Olympus C-5060 can, and I've heard the C-7070 is as good. Mild
    barrel distortion, but sharp right to the corners at 27mm equivalent.
    There's a freeware program that can correct the distortion - search for
    PTLens. I shoot a lot of indoors pics at full wide angle and they
    print really nice.

    ECM

    ecm, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Cardamon Dave

    Routemeister Guest

    The Olympus C8080 handles 28mm very nicely, especially at f/5.6. The camera
    is out of production, so if you find one, you can get it for a very
    reasonable price. It's not a perfect camera (slow write to file in RAW
    mode, slow focus in dim light) nor is it compact, but the optics and the
    picture quality are superb.
    David "Routemeister" Thompson
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/backroads/

    Routemeister, Oct 15, 2005
  6. Cardamon Dave

    Monroe Guest

    The indoor wide angle, how is the response of the camera re: focus and
    exposure during these shots? I have an opportunity to buy either the
    5060 or 7070 and that aspect is important to me. I have read (no
    first hand knowledge) that the 7070 is not as responsive as the 5060
    in this regard.

    --

    Monroe

    Monroe, Oct 15, 2005
  7. Cardamon Dave

    ecm Guest

    Monroe wrote:
    > The indoor wide angle, how is the response of the camera re: focus and
    > exposure during these shots? I have an opportunity to buy either the
    > 5060 or 7070 and that aspect is important to me. I have read (no
    > first hand knowledge) that the 7070 is not as responsive as the 5060
    > in this regard.
    >
    > On 14 Oct 2005 15:13:26 -0700, "ecm" <> wrote:

    SNIP
    > Monroe

    Well, I've not noted a lot of focus issues with my C-5060; the C-7070
    is supposed to be improved according to some reports. However,I don't
    have a lot to compare against - I went from a manual focus Nikon SLR to
    the C-5060. The focus assist lamp, while it is irritating to the
    subject, is very bright; if I can see the subject with my own eyes I
    can usually get a focus lock on it eventually. It can sometimes take a
    few seconds. Macro focus is more difficult; I usually use manual focus
    mode and it helps a lot.

    As for exposure indoors, it was OK if you were near a window in the
    daytime, but at night or in low lighting a flash is required. I never
    liked the look of the built-in flash in the C-5060 - mainly because I
    was used to the external bounceable flash I used with the Nikon, I
    suspect. I eventually broke down and bought an external TTL flash, it
    made a huge difference and I've gotten a lot of excellent exposures.

    Good Luck!
    ECM

    ecm, Oct 15, 2005
  8. Monroe wrote:
    > The indoor wide angle, how is the response of the camera re: focus and
    > exposure during these shots? I have an opportunity to buy either the
    > 5060 or 7070 and that aspect is important to me. I have read (no
    > first hand knowledge) that the 7070 is not as responsive as the 5060
    > in this regard.

    One of the faster auto-focus cameras is the Nikon 8400, as it has an extra
    focus sensor (as well as measuring contrast of the imaging sensor). It's
    now discontinued (I understand) so may be available quite cheaply.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 15, 2005
  9. Cardamon Dave

    RK Guest

    I do event photography and often use my 5060 (with either FL-20 or
    FL-36 ext flash), often with a wide angle converter. I do not use the
    focus assist lamp and get excellent results; very seldom is anything
    out of focus. In terms of the overall sharpness at wide angle, I get
    very good results and seldom have to do any tweaking. Depending on
    camera angle there can be some barrel distortion but that is fixed
    easily with any number of programs. Incidentally, I also own an Oly
    E-300, another very good camera. It is very difficult to discern any
    difference in the overall quality of images taken by the two cameras.
    The 5060's exposure system seems more accurate and reliable,
    particularly in backlighting situations or where there is a bright
    light near the center. And, for indoor or candid photography in
    particular the tilting/swiveling 5060 monitor is a godsend.

    RK, Oct 15, 2005
  10. "Cardamon Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Boy, I've been jilted. New Canon Powershot S60 can't produce sharp
    > pictures at its wide-angle (28mm in 35mm equiv.) setting. Either the
    > edges or center of all images are blurry and distorted. Can't even read
    > the street signs in my shots. And the purple fringing is severe, even
    > in moderately contrasty subjects. What a downer.

    I have an S60 also and haven't noticed any such problems. Sounds like you
    got a lemon.

    > (BTW, this wasn't a camera shake issue. I had the same issues when the
    > camera was set on a tripod or a firm support.)
    >
    > Has anyone found--and actually used!--a good wide-angle non-DSLR
    > digicam that can produce sharp images across the frame? That Samsung
    > Pro815 is supposed to, but I have yet to see either a review or a
    > retailer selling them.

    Nikon Coolpix 8400 is the way to go for wide angle, as far as I'm concerned.
    It's 24-85mm in 35mm equivalence. I'm very happy with mine. Not pocketable
    like the S60 but still a reasonably small camera.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Oct 15, 2005
  11. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:jR04f.129422$...
    [ . . . ]
    > One of the faster auto-focus cameras is the Nikon 8400, as it has an extra
    > focus sensor (as well as measuring contrast of the imaging sensor). It's
    > now discontinued (I understand) so may be available quite cheaply.
    >
    > David

    I read somewhere that Nikon is dropping its "prosumer" cameras altogether,
    so I guess this is the end of the line for the 8xxx models.

    And yes, the 8400 is now available quite cheaply--it's $500 at Ritz with
    free shipping. I'm tempted to get another one for a spare, since there won't
    be any more.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Oct 15, 2005
  12. Cardamon Dave

    Baron Sloan Guest

    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message

    > "Cardamon Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> Boy, I've been jilted. New Canon Powershot S60 can't produce sharp
    >> pictures at its wide-angle (28mm in 35mm equiv.) setting. Either the
    >> edges or center of all images are blurry and distorted. Can't even read
    >> the street signs in my shots. And the purple fringing is severe, even
    >> in moderately contrasty subjects. What a downer.

    > I have an S60 also and haven't noticed any such problems. Sounds like you
    > got a lemon.

    I've taken thousands of shots with my S60 in over a year of ownership, and
    apart from it haveing a noisier sensor than the S30 it replaced, I've
    certailnly not noticed the problems you describe.

    The pictures from both the S30 and S60 are fairly soft straight from the
    camera, and nearly always benefit form a touch of sharpening in Photoshop.

    As for purple fringing, I've never found this to be a problem at all apart
    from in the most severe of lighting situations.

    Apart from the extra noise in skies, I've found the S60 to be better in
    virtually every way to my S30.

    Baron Sloan, Oct 17, 2005
  13. Cardamon Dave

    bob Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-
    part.uk.invalid> wrote in news:kwV3f.129285$G8.126909
    @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

    > Cardamon Dave wrote:
    > []
    >> Has anyone found--and actually used!--a good wide-angle non-DSLR
    >> digicam that can produce sharp images across the frame?

    > Nikon Coolpix 8400 - 24mm as-supplied, 19mm with attachment. I have the
    > plain 8MP 8400 and I've been delighted with it.
    >
    > David

    I use the older Coolpix 5000 -- 28mm as-is, and 19 with the attachment. I
    like it both ways. It's good and sharp at wide angles, and doesn't have too
    much purple fringe. I'd like the 8400 too, I'm sure, but so far I haven't
    gotten it into the budget.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Cardamon Dave

    Frank ess Guest

    bob wrote:
    > "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-
    > part.uk.invalid> wrote in news:kwV3f.129285$G8.126909
    > @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:
    >
    >> Cardamon Dave wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Has anyone found--and actually used!--a good wide-angle non-DSLR
    >>> digicam that can produce sharp images across the frame?

    >> Nikon Coolpix 8400 - 24mm as-supplied, 19mm with attachment. I
    >> have
    >> the plain 8MP 8400 and I've been delighted with it.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > I use the older Coolpix 5000 -- 28mm as-is, and 19 with the
    > attachment. I like it both ways. It's good and sharp at wide angles,
    > and doesn't have too much purple fringe. I'd like the 8400 too, I'm
    > sure, but so far I haven't gotten it into the budget.

    I'll second Bob's CP5000 suggestion. Most of these were made with the
    wide angle lens (19mm equiv) on that camera:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/AB02CA3CB73E41E

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Cardamon Dave

    bob Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in news:IYydnYqWXvg_vcjeRVn-
    :

    > http://www.fototime.com/inv/AB02CA3CB73E41E

    I like the ones that focus in on the graphic elements painted on the cars.

    I use mine a lot with the 19mm attachment for architecture.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Oct 19, 2005
  16. Cardamon Dave

    alan Guest

    > Has anyone found--and actually used!--a good wide-angle non-DSLR
    > digicam that can produce sharp images across the frame?

    Canon PowerShot Pro1? I'm almost certainly not as demanding as many of the
    Pro users on this newsgroup, but I am absolutely delighted with my Pro1 and
    its 28-200mm (equiv) L series lens.

    So long as I don't want to go above ISO 100, of course.

    regards,
    /alan

    alan, Oct 20, 2005