28 Days Later distortion -- mpeg artifacts ??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Troy Cauble, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Troy Cauble

    Troy Cauble Guest

    I noticed some weird distortion on my copy of 28 Days Later.
    I was wondering if someone can tell me what it is.

    There were several places where faces seemed to morph as someone
    moved their head.

    At about 35:45, they're in the apartment saying "I think they're
    good people. I'd leave them behind." etc. As Selena talks and
    nods her head, her face morphs around her right eye.

    At about 109:55 (very beginning of chapter 21) there's a brief
    closeup on the army leader's face. The camera shakes and it's
    like part of his face shakes and part doesn't. Also if you
    look at the light bracket behind him, the crosspiece appears
    to move independent of the vertical piece.

    Is this a basic MPEG artifact? Something to do with the movie
    being shot on DV?

    -troy
    Troy Cauble, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Troy Cauble

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Troy Cauble <> writes:
    > I noticed some weird distortion on my copy of 28 Days Later.
    > I was wondering if someone can tell me what it is.
    >
    > There were several places where faces seemed to morph as someone
    > moved their head.
    >
    > At about 35:45, they're in the apartment saying "I think they're
    > good people. I'd leave them behind." etc. As Selena talks and
    > nods her head, her face morphs around her right eye.
    >
    > At about 109:55 (very beginning of chapter 21) there's a brief
    > closeup on the army leader's face. The camera shakes and it's
    > like part of his face shakes and part doesn't. Also if you
    > look at the light bracket behind him, the crosspiece appears
    > to move independent of the vertical piece.
    >
    > Is this a basic MPEG artifact? Something to do with the movie
    > being shot on DV?

    No, it's an overcompression artifact. You'll see more than your fill
    on most any channel of a Dish Network receiver. Local-in-local
    channels are the worst offenders.

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
    Ronald Cole, Dec 31, 2003