    pass it without even opening the book.

    I don't know... I don't understand.

    Am I missing something??

    Syd, May 24, 2006

  2. To be honest I was in the same position as you when I was doing the MCDST
    but I had contradicting messages - some saying it was easier, some saying
    harder. When I eventually sat the 272 I couldn't really tell much of a
    difference in difficulty - if I was to stick my neck out though I'd say,
    possibly, it was a shade easier. There is a lot of crossover knowledge used
    from the 271 but with the addition of Office and IE (although not as much as
    I expected!). Those that claim it is harder probably aren't up to speed on
    Office?

    The fact that Sybex can combine the 271 and 272 into one volume probably
    speaks volumes for these two test ;o)

    --
    Certifications:
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MOS Master, Security+, Network+, A+

    Darth Windows, May 24, 2006

  3. Syd

    stmay Guest

    I've been wondering the same thing. I took 271 about a month ago. I've been
    studying for 272 for several weeks now with CBT Nuggets and Transcender.
    Problem is that I've memorized all of the Transcender questions now. The
    only thing I'm a little worried about is digital signatures for emails and
    remembering all the different settings for cookie and active x levels.

    I've got 272 scheduled for 11:30am on Friday. Hope I do well. I guess I
    don't feel quite as stressed since I get the free second shot. :)

    Steve

    stmay, May 24, 2006
  4. Syd

    Syd Guest

    Darth Windows wrote:

    > Those that claim
    > it is harder probably aren't up to speed on Office?

    Is there possible that there is people which know ntfs permissions and all
    that stuff better than applications like MS Office?
    well....it is. (even if it sound strange to me)

    > The fact that Sybex can combine the 271 and 272 into one volume
    > probably speaks volumes for these two test ;o)

    Well..yes, anyway, I suppose I will resist the temptation to book my 272
    immediately and I'll go through the book instead.
    I don't have the luxury of a second free test, unfortunately

    :(

    Syd, May 24, 2006
  5. Syd

    Syd Guest

    stmay wrote:
    > I've got 272 scheduled for 11:30am on Friday. Hope I do well. I
    > guess I don't feel quite as stressed since I get the free second
    > shot. :)

    No problem at all then, good on you

    :)

    Syd, May 24, 2006
  6. > Is there possible that there is people which know ntfs permissions and all
    > that stuff better than applications like MS Office?
    > well....it is. (even if it sound strange to me)

    Sure. It all depends on your job role too. Most people will probably go
    through their careers not needing to know anything about using Office, et
    al. Despite being a SysAdmin I also had to support Software so it made
    sense, for me, to do the MCDST. I was also lucky in that I'd previously been
    in clerical and used Office so much that I was showing my MOS tutors how to
    do some things in Word...

    > Well..yes, anyway, I suppose I will resist the temptation to book my 272
    > immediately and I'll go through the book instead.
    > I don't have the luxury of a second free test, unfortunately

    Personally that would be my recommendation, whatever level you thought you
    were at. You'd probably pass if you did it tomorrow but think how gutted
    you'd be if you _did_ fail rather than spend a couple of weeks going through
    the book! It never hurts to be prepared.

    Darth Windows, May 25, 2006
  7. Syd

    colddove Guest

    The only thing I'd like to add is that there are more than one version of
    the tests. I myself found the 272 more difficult but I had a lot of
    questions that were different from the next guy in my class who said it was
    way easier than the 271 he took. We compared questions that we could
    remember and the test I took was agreed upon by the entire class to be
    harder than the other students. Than it comes down to what you're good at. I
    know I'm good with Office and IE settings etc... it just depends on what you
    get on your exam, they're all different. I probably just picked up one of
    the easier 271's and a harder 272. That's all I can think.

    The one thing that we have to remember and I know you probably already know
    is that we all have our strengths and weaknesses so it's hard to compare
    what's really harder and what's easier.

    colddove, May 31, 2006