2651 Router with a 16 port fast ethernet module configuration?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dmitry, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Dmitry

    Dmitry Guest

    Hi,

    Does anyone know how to configure a 16-port FastEthernet module in a
    Cisco 2651 Router?

    Here are some facts:

    The Cisco 16-port FastEthernet module is called NM-ESW-16.

    The router IOS 12.2(15)ZJ2 is a higher version than the 12.2(2)XT and
    thus should support the module.

    I can see the ports in the module as FA1/0 - 15, but none of them are
    IP addressable.

    Here is what I tried:

    Configure the router's built-in FA0/1 with 10.10.10.1 /24 and "no
    shut".

    Configure a PC with 10.10.10.2 /24 and connect it to one of the
    modules' ports (ex. FA1/10).

    Both, FA0/1 and FA1/10 have green LEDs

    I was unable to ping from the PC to FA0/1 and vice versa.

    The same scenario between a PC and a serial interface did not work as
    well.

    My question is how does the router talk to its directly connected
    16-port module, which is not IP addressable.

    Thank you in advance.

    Dmitry, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Dmitry

    Scooby Guest

    I believe that these are switchports, not router ports. You can not assign
    an ip to a switchport. What you'll need to do is create vlans and assign
    the ports to the vlan - then you can give an ip address to the vlan.

    Jim

    Scooby, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Dmitry

    Scooby Guest

    Another thought....

    Perhaps this module works like the L3 switches. If that is the case, you
    can just type 'no switchport' in the inteface config, which will make it a
    router port. Then, you can add an ip without having to define the vlan.

    Jim

    Scooby, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Dmitry

    vsakel Guest

    Hi

    you have to configure vlans first (as an L2 switch) and after that you can
    assign ip addresses for the vlans and so on.

    Please note that the fa0/1 & fa0/0 are ip addressable in a well known way

    You can imagine that you have two diferent devices (a router and a L3
    switch ) in a single chassis.

    About the IOS: i am using 12.3 version. Check software advisor

    Aaron Leonard, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Dmitry

    Dmitry Guest

    Jim,

    Both of your suggestions have worked nicely. For my scenario, I'll
    have to go with the Vlan option since all of the Fast Ethernet ports
    are directly connected to the PCs. This option will save me config
    time and IP addresses.

    Thank you again.

    Dmitry

    Dmitry, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Dmitry

    dsweeney

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    NMXX-ESW fun

    First things....

    If you buy TWO NM16-ESW's you ABSOLUTELY need to also purchase the GE-DCARD-ESW interface for them...

    I made this mistake by trying to use 2 NM16-ESW's in one Cisco 3825 chasis..

    I had previously used one NM16-ESW in my home 2811 and everything worked fine..

    However when I tried to do something for a customer we bought 2 3825's and 4 NM16-ESW's (2 in each 3825)...

    Configurations that worked in my 2811 worked fine (remember it has only ONE NM16-ESW)...

    The same configurations on the 3825 with TWO NM16-ESW's would just simply not pass traffic!! even though when looking (sho mac-address dynamic) the mac-address of the test machine showed up.. it could not however ping the assigned vlans default gateway or anything else...

    So...

    Pulled one of the two NM16-ESW's out.. and all the sudden things started working!!!

    Please find attached a drawing of what we are doing..

    Hope this helps

    Attached Files:

    dsweeney, May 24, 2009
  8. Dmitry

    saravanakumar

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    hi team
    could you teach me how to configure the cisco 2690 , here we have to configure atleast five cisco switch in a fiber ring ( with different i,p address from port number 1 to 8 will come 10.10.10.1 series port 9 to 16 will come 10.10.20.1 like that )

    saravanakumar, Jun 9, 2009