    is attempting to obtain an address. I am running the latest version of
    12.2 enterprise. Any ideas? Has anyone had any problems with dhcp
    client?
    mark v., Nov 12, 2003

  2. (mark v.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to get the dhcp client on my 2620 to get an address from
    > my cable provider. I am just running the base config with " ip address
    > dhcp " command on the fastethernet interface. My isp allows any mac
    > address to obtain a dhcp address but my router does not seem to be
    > able to obtain one. I have debuged the dhcp client and noted that it
    > is attempting to obtain an address. I am running the latest version of
    > 12.2 enterprise. Any ideas? Has anyone had any problems with dhcp
    > client?

    Hi,

    just configue on your WAN interface (or Dialer Interface)
    "ip address negotiated".

    regards
    C. Remien
    Carsten Remien, Nov 13, 2003

  3. mark v.

    mark v. Guest

    I am under the impression that is only for PPP. This is just plane jane ethernet.
    mark v., Nov 13, 2003
  4. mark v.

    TRoof Guest

    Do you know what product your cable company is using to manage dhcp?
    Some products look at the MAC address, see Cisco, and think cable modem.

    TRoof, Nov 13, 2003
  5. It's likely that your cable modem will need to be power cycled, as the modem
    remembers the client MAC address and could be allowing just one MAC address
    of that value.

    Robert

    Bob by The Bay, Nov 13, 2003
  6. mark v.

    mark v. Guest

    My provider allows more than one address at a time. I cycled it just
    in case but still no joy. When the router makes the dhcp request it
    appears to add the host name and something else ( cant remember right
    now ). I wonder if that is screwing it up? This is really annoying. I
    thought it would be simple.
    mark v., Nov 14, 2003
  7. mark v.

    Fred Newton Guest

    I have exactly the same problem with a 1750 and an ethernet WIC. It will
    DHCP an address no problem from our BDC in the office but will not get one
    from our ISPs cable service. My service has 2 IPs.
    WRT Carsten's post I checked on the IP ADDRESS NEGOTIATED comand and it
    only applies to WAN interfaces and not ethernet.

    Fred Newton, Nov 15, 2003
  8. (mark v.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > My provider allows more than one address at a time. I cycled it just
    > in case but still no joy. When the router makes the dhcp request it
    > appears to add the host name and something else ( cant remember right
    > now ). I wonder if that is screwing it up? This is really annoying. I
    > thought it would be simple.

    Hi, if your interface is "Ethernet0"

    use

    #ip address dhcp client-id Ethernet0

    The client identifier will be "cisco- mac-address -Eth1"

    See if this works. I'd recommend not just to powercycle the
    cablemodem, but leave it overnight off.

    You can do a #debug dhcp detail

    on the router to check what is going on

    Hugo
    Hugo Gonz?lez, Nov 15, 2003
  9. mark v.

    Fred Newton Guest

    Hugo,
    Tried that as well and no go. Also tried spoofing the MAC of my
    computer's NIC on the interface and still nothing. Guess I'll just keep
    playing withit. If I find a solution I will post. Thanks.

    Fred Newton, Nov 15, 2003