2620, 1721 and T1 - routing issue

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by \Steve Christensen\, Mar 27, 2011.

  1. I recently had to replace some routers and have the following problem.

    I have a 2620 with the T1 card at a colo site and a 1721 with the same
    T1 card at the office. The 2620 T1 card is configured with a .73/29
    address and the 1721 with .74. The T1 is up and running fine. On
    the FastEthernet0 in the 1721 I have the .80/28 address.

    The machines on my local network can ping the .80 and the .74 on
    the1721 and each other, but nothing beyond that.

    The 1721 router can ping anything on the internet, the 2620, and the
    local network.

    I can ping from the internet to the 2620 and the .74 on the 1721 but
    not the .80 or my local network.

    I presume the is just a routing issue, but the things I have tried so
    far fail.

    Any ideas? I tried calling Cisco, but they seem not be interested on
    the weekend.

    Thanks.
     
    \Steve Christensen\, Mar 27, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. * "Steve Christensen" hackte in den Rechenknecht:
    >
    > I presume the is just a routing issue, but the things I have tried so
    > far fail.


    If you presume that, you already had a look into the routing tables of
    both routers. Share it and possibly someone can point you to an answer.

    > Thanks.


    luke
    --
    Da ich lauter solche unsinnichen kommentare bekomme wer ich mich jetzt
    na den verwalter der news wenden und eine untersuchung einleiten lassen
    wiel hier man nur noch solchen unsin an atworten bekommt und ich setze
    dem jezt ein enden --J.Daub in <b04dcl$ne$>
     
    Lukas Schratz, Mar 27, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Do I get you right - you have e.g. 192.168.1.72/29 on your T1 (6
    addresses - 4 of them are wasted!) and e.g. 192.168.1.80/28 NETWORK on
    your 1721 LAN side, I assume you have chosen .1.81 for your
    fastethernet0/0 interface.

    The behaviour you describe occurs when no routing protocol is active /
    static routing is configured wrong, or when access-lists block some
    traffic. As others have already written, show your routing table,
    interface config and access lists if available.

    cheers

    Thomas

    Am 27.03.2011 10:48, schrieb "Steve Christensen":
    > I recently had to replace some routers and have the following problem.
    >
    > I have a 2620 with the T1 card at a colo site and a 1721 with the same
    > T1 card at the office. The 2620 T1 card is configured with a .73/29
    > address and the 1721 with .74. The T1 is up and running fine. On
    > the FastEthernet0 in the 1721 I have the .80/28 address.
    >
    > The machines on my local network can ping the .80 and the .74 on
    > the1721 and each other, but nothing beyond that.
    >
    > The 1721 router can ping anything on the internet, the 2620, and the
    > local network.
    >
    > I can ping from the internet to the 2620 and the .74 on the 1721 but
    > not the .80 or my local network.
    >
    > I presume the is just a routing issue, but the things I have tried so
    > far fail.
    >
    > Any ideas? I tried calling Cisco, but they seem not be interested on
    > the weekend.
    >
    > Thanks.
     
    Thomas Caspari, Mar 27, 2011
    #3
  4. Thanks for the comments. Here are the details I have. (The colo with
    the 2620 is miles away so I am using info I wrote down from there for
    now)

    FastEthernet0/0 (connected to ISP's systems)

    xxx.xxx.140.214 255.255.255.252

    Ethernet1/0 (connected to a switch at colo then to servers there)

    xxx.xxx.208.65 255.255.255.248

    Serial0/0 (T-1 card to connect to T-1 card on 1721 in office)

    xxx.xxx.208.73 255.255.255.248 (xxx's are numbers of course)

    On the 2620

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.140.213

    The Ethernet1/0 to the servers is working fine and servers are visible
    to the world. The T-1 is the problem though is seems to be
    communicating but as you all say the routing is in bad shape. This
    was the setup the support guy at my ISP suggested for the IP addresses
    and netmasks. He had no idea how to set up the T-1 and clearly
    neither do I. My previous set up was running fine for 8 years so I
    "lost" what knowledge I had about all of this back then.

    Here on the 1721 I get

    #show ip route

    Default gateway is not set

    Host Gateway Last Use Total Uses Interface
    ICMP redirect cache is empty

    # show ip interface brief

    Interface IP-Address OK? Method
    Status Protocol
    FastEthernet0 xxx.xxx.208.80 Yes manual
    uo up
    Serial0 xxx.xxx.208.74 Yes
    manual up up

    #show access-lists
    gives no output

    #show run on the 1721 contains ip related lines

    no ip routing
    ip subnet-zero
    ip classless

    Under Seril0

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.208.74

    if any of this is useful.

    On Mar 27, 1:05 pm, Thomas Caspari <> wrote:
    > Do I get you right - you have e.g. 192.168.1.72/29 on your T1 (6
    > addresses - 4 of them are wasted!) and e.g. 192.168.1.80/28 NETWORK on
    > your 1721 LAN side, I assume you have chosen .1.81 for your
    > fastethernet0/0 interface.
    >
    > The behaviour you describe occurs when no routing protocol is active /
    > static routing is configured wrong, or when access-lists block some
    > traffic. As others have already written, show your routing table,
    > interface config and access lists if available.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Thomas
    >
    > Am 27.03.2011 10:48, schrieb "Steve Christensen":
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > I recently had to replace some routers and have the following problem.

    >
    > > I have a 2620 with the T1 card at a colo site and a 1721 with the same
    > > T1 card at the office.  The 2620 T1 card is configured with a .73/29
    > > address and the 1721 with .74.   The T1 is up and running fine.  On
    > > the FastEthernet0 in the 1721 I have the .80/28 address.

    >
    > > The machines on my local network can ping the .80 and the .74  on
    > > the1721 and each other, but nothing beyond that.>
    > > The 1721 router can ping anything on the internet, the 2620, and the
    > > local network.

    >
    > > I can ping from the internet to the 2620 and the .74 on the 1721 but
    > > not the .80 or my local network.

    >
    > > I presume the is just a routing issue, but the things I have tried so
    > > far fail.

    >
    > > Any ideas?   I tried calling Cisco, but they seem not be interested on
    > > the weekend.

    >
    > > Thanks.
     
    \Steve Christensen\, Mar 27, 2011
    #4
  5. * "Steve Christensen" hackte in den Rechenknecht:
    >
    > Here on the 1721 I get
    >
    > #show ip route
    >
    > Default gateway is not set

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is the part, why you have problems
    >
    > Host Gateway Last Use Total Uses Interface
    > ICMP redirect cache is empty
    >
    > # show ip interface brief
    >
    > Interface IP-Address OK? Method
    > Status Protocol
    > FastEthernet0 xxx.xxx.208.80 Yes manual
    > uo up
    > Serial0 xxx.xxx.208.74 Yes
    > manual up up
    >
    > #show access-lists
    > gives no output
    >
    > #show run on the 1721 contains ip related lines
    >
    > no ip routing
    > ip subnet-zero
    > ip classless
    >
    > Under Seril0
    >
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.208.74


    and this why it is failing. You can't set your default gateway to your
    own interface address. Either you set it to the interface or you set it
    to the next hop. Preferably the latter or a combination like:
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial 0 xxx.xxx.208.73

    > if any of this is useful.
    >


    luke
    --
    Da ich lauter solche unsinnichen kommentare bekomme wer ich mich jetzt
    na den verwalter der news wenden und eine untersuchung einleiten lassen
    wiel hier man nur noch solchen unsin an atworten bekommt und ich setze
    dem jezt ein enden --J.Daub in <b04dcl$ne$>
     
    Lukas Schratz, Mar 27, 2011
    #5
  6. Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them and this is now the status
    of the 1721.

    #show run

    interface FastEthernet0
    ip address xx.xxx.208.80 255.255.255.0
    speed auto
    full-duplex
    !
    interface Serial0
    ip address xx.xxx.208.74 255.255.255.0
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24 speed 56
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0 xx.xxx.208.73
    no ip http server
    !


    Router#show ip route
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
    N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
    E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
    i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS
    level-2
    ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user
    static route
    o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

    Gateway of last resort is xx.xxx.208.73 to network 0.0.0.0

    xx.0.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C xx.xxx.208.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0
    is directly connected, Serial0
    S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via xx.xxx.208.73, Serial0



    Router#show ip interface brief
    Interface IP-Address OK? Method
    Status Prot
    ocol
    FastEthernet0 xx.xxx..208.80 YES manual up
    up

    Serial0 xx.xxx.208.74 YES manual
    up up



    Router#show access-lists

    Router#



    Router#ping xx.xxx.208.66

    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to xx.xxx.208.66, timeout is 2 seconds:
    ..!!!!
    Success rate is 80 percent (4/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/5/8 ms
    Router#ping xx.xxx3.208.73

    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to xx.xxx.3.208.73, timeout is 2
    seconds:
    !....
    Success rate is 20 percent (1/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 8/8/8 ms
    Router#ping xx.xxx.208.85

    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to xx.xxx.208.85, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/4 ms
    Router#

    Router#ping xx.xxx.208.80

    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to xx.xxx.208.80, timeout is 2 seconds:
    ......
    Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
    Router#,


    I can ping from my local network to the .80, but not out anywhere.

    Steve C.


    Lukas Schratz <> wrote:
    > * "Steve Christensen" hackte in den Rechenknecht:
    >
    > > Here on the 1721 I get

    >
    > > #show ip  route

    >
    > > Default gateway is not set

    >
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > That is the part, why you have problems
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > Host       Gateway       Last Use   Total Uses    Interface
    > > ICMP redirect cache is empty

    >
    > > # show ip interface brief

    >
    > > Interface              IP-Address            OK?         Method
    > > Status                   Protocol
    > > FastEthernet0     xxx.xxx.208.80       Yes          manual
    > > uo                         up
    > > Serial0                xxx.xxx.208.74        Yes
    > > manual           up                        up

    >
    > > #show access-lists
    > > gives no output

    >
    > > #show run on the 1721     contains ip related lines

    >
    > > no ip  routing
    > > ip subnet-zero
    > > ip classless

    >
    > > Under Seril0

    >
    > > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.208.74

    >
    > and this why it is failing. You can't set your default gateway to your
    > own interface address. Either you set it to the interface or you set it
    > to the next hop. Preferably the latter or a combination like:
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial 0 xxx.xxx.208.73
    >
    > > if any of this is useful.

    >
    > luke
    > --
    > Da ich  lauter solche unsinnichen kommentare bekomme  wer ich mich jetzt
    > na den verwalter der news wenden und eine untersuchung einleiten lassen
    > wiel hier man nur noch solchen unsin an atworten bekommt und ich setze
    > dem jezt ein enden             --J.Daub in <b04dcl$>
     
    \Steve Christensen\, Mar 28, 2011
    #6
  7. * "Steve Christensen" hackte in den Rechenknecht:
    > Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them and this is now the status
    > of the 1721.
    >
    > #show run
    >
    > interface FastEthernet0
    > ip address xx.xxx.208.80 255.255.255.0


    Really? Is this the same subnet as below 208.73? Then it is bound to fail.
    If you could refrain from using fake xxx-addresses one could tell more
    easily.

    >
    > I can ping from my local network to the .80, but not out anywhere.
    >

    That's not the whole truth, according to your ping tests.

    > Steve C.
    >


    luke
    --
    Ich hatte eigentlich keine Probleme mit Mozilla, wenn auch meine
    Defaulteinstellungen "Mozilla/8.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.9; Virus 98)"
    nicht mit allen Seiten funktionieren mag.
    -- Andreas Kolbach in d.c.s.m
     
    Lukas Schratz, Mar 28, 2011
    #7
  8. This problem has been resolved. Network addresses and routing tables
    fixed.

    On Mar 28, 3:44 pm, Lukas Schratz <> wrote:
    > * "Steve Christensen" hackte in den Rechenknecht:
    >
    > > Thanks for the suggestions.    I tried them and this is now the status
    > > of the 1721.

    >
    > > #show run

    >
    > > interface FastEthernet0
    > >  ip address xx.xxx.208.80 255.255.255.0

    >
    > Really? Is this the same subnet as below 208.73? Then it is bound to fail..
    > If you could refrain from using fake xxx-addresses one could tell more
    > easily.
    >
    >
    >
    > > I can ping from my local network to the .80, but not out anywhere.

    >
    > That's not the whole truth, according to your ping tests.
    >
    > > Steve C.

    >
    > luke
    > --
    > Ich hatte eigentlich keine Probleme mit Mozilla, wenn auch meine
    > Defaulteinstellungen "Mozilla/8.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.9; Virus 98)"
    > nicht mit allen Seiten funktionieren mag.
    > -- Andreas Kolbach in d.c.s.m
     
    \Steve Christensen\, Mar 29, 2011
    #8
  9. no hint what you did? This newsgroup lives from user contribution...

    Am 29.03.2011 09:48, schrieb "Steve Christensen":
    >
    > This problem has been resolved. Network addresses and routing tables
    > fixed.
    >
     
    Thomas Caspari, Mar 29, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brian
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    6,109
    Brian
    Oct 24, 2003
  2. Skybird
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    4,181
    Skybird
    Apr 12, 2004
  3. Snowman
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,318
    Snowman
    Aug 5, 2004
  4. Scooter
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    926
    BradReeseCom
    Feb 25, 2005
  5. Corbin O'Reilly

    Dump 2620 config to a 1721

    Corbin O'Reilly, Sep 28, 2006, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,777
    Corbin O'Reilly
    Oct 4, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page