25th Hour Version Confusion

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Pat, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    I bought a copy of The 25th Hour from an outdoor flea market. The guy who
    sells DVDs sells legit stuff, until now. I am a bit suspicious since the
    original 25 Hour that you buy in the US is from Buena Vista Home Video and
    is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I have a 1.85:1 from the UK by Touchstone Home
    Video. I have a different looking DVD cover of The 25th Hour, too. It has
    Norton walking his dog but there is no big picture of his profile like on
    the Buena Vista cover.

    Here are some ids on the back:

    (1) Dolby Digital, THX, DTS, and Superbit.

    (2) The aspect ratio is 1.85:1 (oooops, the film and Buena Vista DVD are
    2.35:1).

    (3) The length of the movie should be 135 minutes. Its not listed anywhere
    on the back.

    (4) It says Touchstone Home Video.

    (5) It says manufactured, and distributed in the UK by Universal Studios
    (UK( Limited.

    There is nothing said about PAL or Region Codes. I have not yet broken the
    seal to watch it in case I return it. Could this possibility be a NTSC-R1
    for the UK market, made in the UK.

    Comments appreciated?
    Pat, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Pat, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Pat

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > (1) Dolby Digital, THX, DTS, and Superbit.

    Sounds like a bootleg. Superbit is a trademark of Columbia TriStar. Is
    this movie distributed by them anywhere in the world? Additionally, THX
    and Superbit are competing quality assurance programs. You won't see a
    Superbit DVD that is also THX certified.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Pat

    Pat Guest

    My DVD says Touchstone Home Video which is under Beuna Vista the Disney
    group. It all sounds right but the DVD, I fear, is probably bogus. I would
    not feel so bad if the runtime was listed and the aspect ratio was proper.

    I started searching and decided to try Ebay looking for a match for what I
    bought at the flea market. Here it is, I think. Its a 1.85:1 with same front
    photo. Doesn't say anything about the run time (135 minutes is the actual).
    I also saw a front cover photo on a UK web site but the DVD is said to not
    be available for ordering.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3351601668&category=2296

    Pat, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Pat

    AceoHearts Guest

    Well looking at this guys feedback he deals with bootleg DVD's and goes on
    vaction a lot. To top it off he has a lot of server issues as well. He
    also makes claims that they are high quality asain releases that will play
    in the US, but those claims are only in response to complaints in his
    feedback. THere are also comments about the items being shipped from
    Singapore and several of them were confiscated by customs. Looks like you
    got either an Asian release of the film, or a boot legged copy of it.

    AceoHearts
    AceoHearts, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Yup. I should have researched it before buying.

    Pat, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Pat

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > My DVD says Touchstone Home Video which is under Beuna Vista the

    Disney
    > group. It all sounds right but the DVD, I fear, is probably bogus. I

    It says Touchtone and "Superbit" on it? Indisputably a bootleg. Superbit
    is a trademark of Colbumbia TriStar and only Columbia TriStar.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Pat

    Goldfinger Guest

    > It says Touchtone and "Superbit" on it? Indisputably a bootleg. Superbit
    > is a trademark of Colbumbia TriStar and only Columbia TriStar.

    I've seen something like a DTS Shawshank Redemption which officially has
    never been released. But I tell you the case and disc look just like the
    original.
    Goldfinger, Sep 30, 2003