25Mbit bandwidth coming soon to Christchurch and Helengrad.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Fierce Guppy, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. Fierce Guppy

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4043167a28.html

    "Web surfers in Wellington and Christchurch will be able to experience some
    of the fastest Internet connections speeds in the world later this year.
    TelstraClear is promising to raise the speed of its rejuvenated cable
    networks in the two cities by 150 per cent, offering customers lightening-
    fast top download speeds of 25 megabits per second."

    [...]

    "Mr Jackson says top download speeds will be upped from 10 megabits per
    second to 25 megabits per second within six months, and the older Wellington
    network is being upgraded to handle the expected extra traffic. It is not
    yet known if upstream speeds, currently 2 megabits per second, will rise at
    the same time."

    The network in some areas of Christchurch could do with an upgrade, too.
    It's been difficult to utilize >75% bandwidth on a 10Mb cable connection
    irrespective of the number of simutaneous connections used to download stuff
    and irrespective of the time of day and night.

    FierceGuppy

    --
    (fierce,guppy@paradise,net,nz)
    Fierce Guppy, Jun 22, 2007

  2. Fierce Guppy

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:59:32 +1200, Fierce Guppy wrote:

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4043167a28.html
    >
    > "Web surfers in Wellington and Christchurch will be able to experience
    > some of the fastest Internet connections speeds in the world later this
    > year. TelstraClear is promising to raise the speed of its rejuvenated
    > cable networks in the two cities by 150 per cent, offering customers
    > lightening- fast top download speeds of 25 megabits per second."

    good. Now from where, may I ask?
    Gordon, Jun 23, 2007

  3. Fierce Guppy

    Paul Guest

    I would be happy if they could just keep it online most of the time so I can
    actually use the speeds they currently offer!!!!

    I only hope that all the disconects laterly are due to the fact that they
    wroking on the new cableing?

    Paul, Jun 23, 2007
  4. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Fierce Guppy exclaimed:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4043167a28.html
    >
    > "Web surfers in Wellington and Christchurch will be able to experience some
    > of the fastest Internet connections speeds in the world later this year.
    > TelstraClear is promising to raise the speed of its rejuvenated cable
    > networks in the two cities by 150 per cent, offering customers lightening-
    > fast top download speeds of 25 megabits per second."

    Naturally they will upgrade their backhaul by the same
    factor in order that the customers actually see a
    difference ....

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and