256MB vs 512MB SD memory card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stdenis@aei.ca, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I just bought a Panasonic FZ15 digital camera. I'm debating whether to
    buy 256MB or 512MB SD memory card, either a Lexar or a Sandisk. It's a
    4 megapixel camera, but I bought it for the Leica Lens, not the size of
    the CCD. Since most of my photos will only be viewed on a PC, I plan
    to only use the medium rec.

    Normally 256MB would be way more than I need, except that I'M going to
    Australia for 4 weeks in a month, where it is very,very hot especially
    in the North.

    If I but the 256MB card, I'll have to pay to get it downloaded to a CD.
    Other considerations are how hard it would be to find a place to do it
    and how long it would take. I only plan to be in any one place for a
    few days at the most.

    My main concern about buying a 512MB card is that I'll be putting all
    my eggs in one basket. If the card malfunctions or is lost, all those
    once-in-a-lifetime pictures would be lost and I'll return home with
    just memories.

    Someone mentionned it's possible to do a backup instead of a download.
    Not sure how this would work especially when using public computers.
    Any insights?

    I also heard that SD cards are on their way out. How true is that?
    This is a fairly expensive camera for me. In 2-3 years when the memory
    card dies, will I have to toss my camera out with it?
    Much appreciated.
    , Dec 18, 2004

  2. Spack Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My main concern about buying a 512MB card is that I'll be putting all
    > my eggs in one basket. If the card malfunctions or is lost, all those
    > once-in-a-lifetime pictures would be lost and I'll return home with
    > just memories.

    How about getting 2 x 256MB cards - if you need more space than 256MB can
    provide you just pop in the other card. It also means that if you spread
    your pics between the 2 cards, having one fail or get lost means you don't
    lose all your photos. And if you find you don't need more than 256MB, you
    can use a public computer (if you can find one) to copy all your photos to,
    and copy them back to the other card.

    As to the risk of malfunction, it's always a worry but these things seem
    pretty robust. I took my old camera (Samsung 350SE) with me snowboarding and
    had no problems with the Sandisk and Crucial CF cards I use, even up on the
    mountains at temps lower than -15C (it was -15C at the base of the mountain
    on one of the days we went, I have no idea what is was at the top but it was
    much colder).

    Dan
    Spack, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Ron Guest

    I worry more about losing the extra card (filled or unfilled) when I
    travel so I rely generally on the largest card I can put in my camera
    (right now I have a 512, with 256 and 128 as backup. When out and around
    I just keep the 512 in the camera. If you don't have to remove the card
    very often and use a USB connection you can really forget about it.
    Mistakes can be made when removing cards (I caused some real trouble for
    myself by removing a card while my camera's power was on). As for off
    allowing you to offload and get a cd. Maybe Kinkos does or will do. On a
    long trip I carry a cd with essential connection software so when
    visiting friends I can off load and either make a cd or just put them on
    my MP3 player's hard drive or keychain USB drive. So many options there
    if you think about it. My camera holds two cards and so I sometimes just
    backup pictures I am most interested in onto the second card.

    Ron, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Guest

    >As for off

    of
    ..>allowing you to offload and get a cd. Maybe Kinkos <does or will do.

    a Lot of Kinkos have the sony pictuire maker
    which you take a Memory card/SD and either
    print the photos out or burn them to a CD
    the sony also accpects Memory sticks/SD and MMC
    and floppy (3.5) disks
    I know thats the case in the US I'm not sure about overseas Kinkos
    (althought there are Kinkos in Austraila)
    , Dec 26, 2004
  5. Mike Henley Guest

    Mike Henley, Dec 26, 2004