    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    Aaron Lawrence, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Aaron Lawrence

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:20:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > So these new Xtra plans seem like a step sideways and/or down...
    >
    > I'm on starter because it's the only way to get a decent cap at a
    > reasonable price, but then it's so slow that I don't make much use of it
    > anyway... less than 1GB last month.
    >
    > So Telecom's idea of a better deal is twice the speed... but with 1/5th
    > the MB... at the same price??
    >
    > I would have thought the obvious would be a 256k, 5GB plan for say
    > another $10 or $20. That would be useful.

    Just hang on, Telecom has heaps of interia and once this is overcome they
    will promote this idea.

    If we are to have caps then why go as fast as you can? Okay, lets have the
    up to flat out in there. ;-)

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

    Gordon, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Aaron Lawrence

    max Guest

    <> wrote:

    >So these new Xtra plans seem like a step sideways and/or down...
    >
    >I'm on starter because it's the only way to get a decent cap at a
    >reasonable price, but then it's so slow that I don't make much use of it
    >anyway... less than 1GB last month.
    >
    >So Telecom's idea of a better deal is twice the speed... but with 1/5th
    >the MB... at the same price??
    >
    >I would have thought the obvious would be a 256k, 5GB plan for say
    >another $10 or $20. That would be useful.
    >
    >I'd be laughing if it wasn't so insulting...

    As thy are still a monopoly, Telecoms has no incentive to produce
    better plan . Once there is real competition the deals well get
    better, but without competition there is no other choice . The new
    Jetsons ads annoy me, why they didn't put money this into lowering the
    prices I don't know. I am sure that lower prices would get more
    customers, than the ads will. Peop[le are more motivated on price than
    anything else. Eventually when the network is unbundled Telecom will
    have to reduce their prices, but until then they will try to make as
    much profit as they can.

    max, Sep 27, 2003
  4. In article <>, "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:35:26 +1200, max wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >The costs of providing emergency services need to be broken out and put up
    >for tender. This is done in most countries where there is competitive
    >service.

    *SNIP*

    I have serious concerns about this. The 111 system is one of the most
    effective in the world in relation to number of calls that fail to get
    through, system availability, etc. While people can say that by making
    it competitive you can always change provider if they're hopeless, 111
    is something that must be got right first time, every time.
    Telecom might be a monopoly, but the 111 service is something they do
    well despite the total lack of any kind of conceivable competition.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Aaron Lawrence

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:34:28 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > Telecom might be
    > a monopoly, but the 111 service is something they do well despite the
    > total lack of any kind of conceivable competition.

    That is because if Telecom didn't do it well, ordinary NZers would have
    it's guts for garters.

    The emergency contact system is something which must remain a Rolls-Royce
    kind of a system.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Aaron Lawrence

    ardz Guest

    "max" <> wrote in message

    > As thy are still a monopoly, Telecoms has no incentive to produce
    > better plan . Once there is real competition the deals well get
    > better, but without competition there is no other choice . The new
    > Jetsons ads annoy me, why they didn't put money this into lowering the
    > prices I don't know. I am sure that lower prices would get more
    > customers, than the ads will. Peop[le are more motivated on price than
    > anything else. Eventually when the network is unbundled Telecom will
    > have to reduce their prices, but until then they will try to make as
    > much profit as they can.

    Mister Xtra himself, Chris Thompson has said that they are aiming for the
    Mums and Dads market which is who these new 256K plans were designed to
    interest. The more Savvy Computer users "the minority" will have to do the
    wait and see thing.

    Ardz

    ardz, Sep 29, 2003