    Starkey Guest

    anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
    having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow
    Starkey, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Starkey

    steve Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
    > having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow

    Pages you usually go to?

    Is your IP address 222.*

    I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
    Real.com node)...at all.
    steve, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:20:52 +1200, steve
    <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:

    >Starkey wrote:
    >> anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
    >> having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow

    >Pages you usually go to?
    >
    >Is your IP address 222.*
    >
    >I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
    >Real.com node)...at all.

    ya the ip 222 but i have been to these webpages before and they
    worked fine, just last few days net seems to be crawling
    internatioanl and national
    Starkey, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Starkey

    John B Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:20:52 +1200, steve
    > <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:
    >
    >> Starkey wrote:
    >>> anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
    >>> having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow

    >> Pages you usually go to?
    >>
    >> Is your IP address 222.*
    >>
    >> I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
    >> Real.com node)...at all.

    > ya the ip 222 but i have been to these webpages before and they
    > worked fine, just last few days net seems to be crawling
    > internatioanl and national

    Same here on 256.
    Have to keep resetting my modem too to get a connection - couple of times a day.
    And if I leave computer on line and come back a couple of hours later and try to
    access newsgroups or the net, it don't work. Have to disconnect, then disconnect
    modem, (usb device) and start all over again. Pain in the butt.

    --
    John B
    John B, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Starkey

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <tIgvc.462$>,
    "John B" <> wrote:

    > Starkey wrote:
    > > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:20:52 +1200, steve
    > > <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:

    > >> Pages you usually go to?
    > >>
    > >> Is your IP address 222.*
    > >>
    > >> I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
    > >> Real.com node)...at all.

    > > ya the ip 222 but i have been to these webpages before and they
    > > worked fine, just last few days net seems to be crawling
    > > internatioanl and national

    > Same here on 256.
    > Have to keep resetting my modem too to get a connection - couple of times a
    > day.
    > And if I leave computer on line and come back a couple of hours later and try
    > access newsgroups or the net, it don't work. Have to disconnect, then
    > disconnect
    > modem, (usb device) and start all over again. Pain in the butt.

    I am with Xtra nd I am finding DNS requests are taking an age
    whoisthis, Jun 2, 2004
  6. On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:02:03 GMT, "John B" <>
    proffered, in : news:tIgvc.462$:

    > Same here on 256.
    > Have to keep resetting my modem too to get a connection - couple
    > of times a day. And if I leave computer on line and come back a
    > couple of hours later and try to access newsgroups or the net, it
    > don't work

    No such problems for my 256, happily.
    Max Quordlepleen, Jun 2, 2004
  7. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:41:07 +1200, whoisthis <>
    wrote:

    >In article <tIgvc.462$>,
    > "John B" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Starkey wrote:

    >> > ya the ip 222 but i have been to these webpages before and they
    >> > worked fine, just last few days net seems to be crawling
    >> > internatioanl and national

    >> Same here on 256.
    >> Have to keep resetting my modem too to get a connection - couple of times a
    >> day.
    >> And if I leave computer on line and come back a couple of hours later and try
    >> access newsgroups or the net, it don't work. Have to disconnect, then
    >> disconnect
    >> modem, (usb device) and start all over again. Pain in the butt.

    >I am with Xtra nd I am finding DNS requests are taking an age

    only started happening since monday for me, maybe telecom are testing
    there speed limiting software maybe ?
    Starkey, Jun 2, 2004
  8. On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 10:24:56 GMT, Starkey <>
    proffered, in : news::

    > only started happening since monday for me, maybe telecom are testing
    > there speed limiting software maybe ?

    I’m with Maxnet, and I haven’t had any of these issues. Curious.
    Max Quordlepleen, Jun 2, 2004
  9. Starkey

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Starkey <> wrote:

    > >I am with Xtra nd I am finding DNS requests are taking an age

    > only started happening since monday for me, maybe telecom are testing
    > there speed limiting software maybe ?

    Don't think so, the biggest pain is durign 4pm-9pm, ie when all the
    little kiddies are on line. I suspect they do not have enough horsepower
    to cope. I am now looking at setting up my own chaching DNS to see if
    that helps any.

    Anyone got a good "recipie" for BIND8 for a caching DNS ?
    whoisthis, Jun 2, 2004
  10. Starkey

    brundlefly Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Starkey <> wrote:
    >

    >>> I am with Xtra nd I am finding DNS requests are taking an age

    >> only started happening since monday for me, maybe telecom are testing
    >> there speed limiting software maybe ?

    > Don't think so, the biggest pain is durign 4pm-9pm, ie when all the
    > little kiddies are on line. I suspect they do not have enough
    > horsepower to cope. I am now looking at setting up my own chaching
    > DNS to see if that helps any.
    >
    > Anyone got a good "recipie" for BIND8 for a caching DNS ?

    Here's one
    http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch6/index.html#caching

    You could just add the paradise DNS servers
    203.96.152.4
    203.96.152.12
    The Bering router distro has caching DNS
    http://leaf.sourceforge.net
    Use it or copy its named.conf etc
    brundlefly, Jun 3, 2004
  11. Starkey

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <8ltvc.546$>,
    "brundlefly" <> wrote:

    > > Anyone got a good "recipie" for BIND8 for a caching DNS ?

    > Here's one
    > http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch6/index.html#caching
    >
    > You could just add the paradise DNS servers
    > 203.96.152.4
    > 203.96.152.12
    > The Bering router distro has caching DNS
    > http://leaf.sourceforge.net
    > Use it or copy its named.conf etc

    Thanks that save a lot of wading through all sorts of info.
    whoisthis, Jun 3, 2004
  12. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:20:52 +1200, steve
    <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:

    >Starkey wrote:
    >> anything lately been getting timed out webpages i know orcon are
    >> having trouble with email atm but webpages too been very slow

    >Pages you usually go to?
    >
    >Is your IP address 222.*
    >
    >I can't get to several servers in Singapore (Straits Times and the
    >Real.com node)...at all.

    got this from orcon support.

    Telecom have confirmed that 256k Surf customers are experiencing
    problems, especially those that connect through POP_RAN_11 (exchange).

    Please send us a tracert to some of your destinations so that we can
    pass that on to Telecom to investigate.
    Starkey, Jun 4, 2004