256GB usb flash drive

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JFWilson, May 8, 2012.

  1. JFWilson

    JFWilson Guest

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468455522#qna

    A 256GB usb flash drive for $35 does sound too good to be true but

    I bought one anyway. My computer recognised the drive and did indeed

    report a capacity of 256GB. Files and folders loaded ok but attempting to

    read the drive got the error message:

    "The specified I/O operation on \ device \ hard disk 7 \ dr19 was not
    completed before the time out period expired"

    then crash. I tried it on several different computers with the same result while

    other usb drives worked ok. Returned it to the seller who responded that the

    drive is working ok. Any comments would be appreciated.

    John

    JFWilson, May 8, 2012

  2. In article <jo9kih$4tr$>, "JFWilson" <> wrote:
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468455522#qna
    >A 256GB usb flash drive for $35 does sound too good to be true but
    >I bought one anyway. My computer recognised the drive and did indeed
    >report a capacity of 256GB. Files and folders loaded ok but attempting to
    >read the drive got the error message:
    >"The specified I/O operation on \ device \ hard disk 7 \ dr19 was not
    >completed before the time out period expired"
    >then crash. I tried it on several different computers with the same result
    > while
    >other usb drives worked ok. Returned it to the seller who responded that the
    >drive is working ok. Any comments would be appreciated.

    Make them show you that it's working OK on one of their machines would seem
    to be the obvious thing to do here. Unfortunately, it's trademe, so
    your best option is probably to say "CGA" now and get your money back,
    avoiding further aggravation. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 8, 2012

  3. JFWilson

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 8 May 2012 11:07:01 +1200, "JFWilson" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468455522#qna
    >
    >A 256GB usb flash drive for $35 does sound too good to be true but
    >
    >I bought one anyway. My computer recognised the drive and did indeed
    >
    >report a capacity of 256GB. Files and folders loaded ok but attempting to
    >
    >read the drive got the error message:
    >
    >"The specified I/O operation on \ device \ hard disk 7 \ dr19 was not
    >completed before the time out period expired"
    >
    >then crash. I tried it on several different computers with the same result while
    >
    >other usb drives worked ok. Returned it to the seller who responded that the
    >
    >drive is working ok. Any comments would be appreciated.

    Did you get a full refund?

    Donchano, May 8, 2012
  4. JFWilson

    Seagull Guest

    "JFWilson" wrote in message news:jo9kih$4tr$...

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468455522#qna

    A 256GB usb flash drive for $35 does sound too good to be true but

    I bought one anyway. My computer recognised the drive and did indeed

    report a capacity of 256GB. Files and folders loaded ok but attempting to

    read the drive got the error message:

    "The specified I/O operation on \ device \ hard disk 7 \ dr19 was not
    completed before the time out period expired"

    then crash. I tried it on several different computers with the same result
    while

    other usb drives worked ok. Returned it to the seller who responded that
    the

    drive is working ok. Any comments would be appreciated.

    John

    John It sounds very likely you have one of these:
    http://fakeflashnews.wordpress.com/...usb-flash-drives-flooding-ebay-fraud-warning/

    The fact that the seller was not allowed to list them on Trademe in their
    original form indicates they had a fake brand, most likely Kingston on
    them. It is likely the seller has already run foul of Trademe for him to
    acknowledge he could not list them as they were originally packaged.
    Threaten to Contact Trademe re the auction and he might just return your
    money.

    Seagull, May 8, 2012
  5. JFWilson

    JohnO Guest

    On May 8, 11:07 am, "JFWilson" <> wrote:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468455522#qna
    >
    > A 256GB usb flash drive for $35 does sound too good to be true but

    Yep - that's all there is to it I'm afraid. The market at that price
    for that capacity simply doesn't exist as far as I can tell. The
    Chinese web sites are full of fakes.

    That said, does anyone have a recommendation for a *genuine* 64Gb USB
    flash stick at a good price? Doesn't need to get written a lot - will
    be mostly in read-only mode. Doesn't need to be super fast but should
    be at least as fast as conventional rotating disk.

    Cheers
    JohnO

    <snip>

    JohnO, May 8, 2012
  6. JFWilson

    JFWilson Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > On Tue, 8 May 2012 11:07:01 +1200, "JFWilson" <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468455522#qna
    >>
    >>A 256GB usb flash drive for $35 does sound too good to be true but
    >>
    >>I bought one anyway. My computer recognised the drive and did indeed
    >>
    >>report a capacity of 256GB. Files and folders loaded ok but attempting to
    >>
    >>read the drive got the error message:
    >>
    >>"The specified I/O operation on \ device \ hard disk 7 \ dr19 was not
    >>completed before the time out period expired"
    >>
    >>then crash. I tried it on several different computers with the same result while
    >>
    >>other usb drives worked ok. Returned it to the seller who responded that the
    >>
    >>drive is working ok. Any comments would be appreciated.

    > Did you get a full refund?

    Not yet. We'll see.

    JFWilson, May 8, 2012
  7. JFWilson

    JFWilson Guest

    "Seagull" <rsymmans@remove_vodafone.co.nz> wrote in message

    > "JFWilson" wrote in message news:jo9kih$4tr$...
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468455522#qna
    >
    > A 256GB usb flash drive for $35 does sound too good to be true but
    >
    > I bought one anyway. My computer recognised the drive and did indeed
    >
    > report a capacity of 256GB. Files and folders loaded ok but attempting to
    >
    > read the drive got the error message:
    >
    > "The specified I/O operation on \ device \ hard disk 7 \ dr19 was not
    > completed before the time out period expired"
    >
    > then crash. I tried it on several different computers with the same result while
    >
    > other usb drives worked ok. Returned it to the seller who responded that the
    >
    > drive is working ok. Any comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > John
    >
    > John It sounds very likely you have one of these:
    > http://fakeflashnews.wordpress.com/...usb-flash-drives-flooding-ebay-fraud-warning/
    >
    > The fact that the seller was not allowed to list them on Trademe in their original form
    > indicates they had a fake brand, most likely Kingston on them. It is likely the seller
    > has already run foul of Trademe for him to acknowledge he could not list them as they
    > were originally packaged.
    > Threaten to Contact Trademe re the auction and he might just return your money.

    Thanks for the link. Interesting
    He has 100% feed back which is worth protecting so I'm not concerned.

    JFWilson, May 8, 2012