    -- Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 5, 2006

  2. Southern Kiwi

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:13:30 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> exclaimed:

    >I have 3 sticks of ddr, 1 @ 333 & 2 @ 266
    >
    >Laptop, AMD Sempron, XP home
    >
    >I'm leaning towards 512 @ 266, also considering 1 stick of 333 & 1 of 266
    >but think it drops to the slowest anyhow (??)

    Really depends on what you are doing, but in most circumstances, 512MB
    @ 266.

    >As an aside, when I mixed them it reports (under my computer/properties)
    >384mb (where is the rest?)

    I'm guessing it's an HP/Compaq?

    Fred Dagg, Mar 5, 2006

  3. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:13:30 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    > <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> exclaimed:
    >
    >>I have 3 sticks of ddr, 1 @ 333 & 2 @ 266
    >>Laptop, AMD Sempron, XP home
    >>I'm leaning towards 512 @ 266, also considering 1 stick of 333 & 1 of 266
    >>but think it drops to the slowest anyhow (??)
    >>

    > Really depends on what you are doing, but in most circumstances, 512MB
    > @ 266.
    >>
    >>As an aside, when I mixed them it reports (under my computer/properties)
    >>384mb (where is the rest?)

    > I'm guessing it's an HP/Compaq?

    Yeap, Presario V2000, and that means........................??

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 5, 2006
  4. Southern Kiwi

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:25:24 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:13:30 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    >> <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>I have 3 sticks of ddr, 1 @ 333 & 2 @ 266
    >>>Laptop, AMD Sempron, XP home
    >>>I'm leaning towards 512 @ 266, also considering 1 stick of 333 & 1 of 266
    >>>but think it drops to the slowest anyhow (??)
    >>>

    >> Really depends on what you are doing, but in most circumstances, 512MB
    >> @ 266.
    >>>
    >>>As an aside, when I mixed them it reports (under my computer/properties)
    >>>384mb (where is the rest?)

    >> I'm guessing it's an HP/Compaq?

    >Yeap, Presario V2000, and that means........................??

    Compaq's can be extremely picky with their RAM, moreso than any other
    brand (some others are bad, too).

    Unfortunately it's unlikely you'll be able to do anything about the
    compatibility issues with the two sticks. Sounds like it's only
    picking up 1 bank from each stick.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 5, 2006
  5. >I have 3 sticks of ddr, 1 @ 333 & 2 @ 266

    > Laptop, AMD Sempron, XP home
    >
    > I'm leaning towards 512 @ 266, also considering 1 stick of 333 & 1 of 266
    > but think it drops to the slowest anyhow (??)
    >
    > As an aside, when I mixed them it reports (under my computer/properties)
    > 384mb (where is the rest?)
    >

    > -- Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi

    512MB will cause your machine to access the hard drive less.

    With XP I'd be concerded about RAM quantity rather than RAM speed.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Mar 6, 2006
  6. Southern Kiwi

    tiddlywink Guest

    > As an aside, when I mixed them it reports (under my computer/properties)
    > 384mb (where is the rest?)

    Used by video/graphics?

    tiddlywink, Mar 8, 2006
  7. "tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote in message

    >> As an aside, when I mixed them it reports (under my computer/properties)
    >> 384mb (where is the rest?)

    > Used by video/graphics?

    I *think* your right, I tried a couple of different sticks and got the same
    message, under the bios settings it reported 512mb.

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 8, 2006
  8. Southern Kiwi

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    says...
    > "tiddlywink" <tbra at hyper dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    > > >
    > >> As an aside, when I mixed them it reports (under my computer/properties)
    > >> 384mb (where is the rest?)

    > > Used by video/graphics?
    > >

    > I *think* your right, I tried a couple of different sticks and got the same
    > message, under the bios settings it reported 512mb.

    You should be able to adjust the amount in Bios settings that onboard
    video uses.

    RJ, Mar 8, 2006
  9. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Taylor Guest

    RJ <> wrote in

    > You should be able to adjust the amount in Bios settings that onboard
    > video uses.

    And using 128 for video ram for an onboard chipset is silly. Set it to 32
    or 64. Your motherboard manual will tell you optimal settings. More is
    NOT better for onboard video chipset ram. Look into the docs at intel.com
    for the issues and optimizing the 845 chipset as an example.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 8, 2006