    Still 256+256=512

    ?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?

    Thanks, gurus

    Ike, May 25, 2006

  2. Ike wrote:
    > Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
    > came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
    > said 256MB.
    >
    > I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
    > I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
    >
    > Still 256+256=512
    >
    > ?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?

    Does anything point to the fact that you've got 128MB of shit committed
    to video?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 25, 2006

  3. Ike

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Rôgêr <> said in

    > Ike wrote:
    >> Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
    >> came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My
    >> computer" said 256MB.
    >>
    >> I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says
    >> 384MB. I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly
    >> inserted, etc.
    >>
    >> Still 256+256=512
    >>
    >> ?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?

    > Does anything point to the fact that you've got 128MB of shit
    > committed to video?

    More likely it could be the computer only being able to recognize only
    half of the DIMM due to some high density issue. High Density PC133 RAM
    would only have half of it recognized in older machines that took the
    older lower Density stuff.

    Jerry Attic, May 25, 2006
  4. Ike

    Joel Guest

    ok seriously your bois is set up to allocate 128 megs of ram for video, its
    on board and they don't install the ram extra... so 256 + 256 - (128 for
    video) = 384... if you don't beileve it take out one stick of 256 and boot
    up it will show 128 megs of ram...

    Joel, May 25, 2006
  5. Ike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Joel spewed forth:
    > ok seriously your bois is set up to allocate 128 megs of ram for
    > video, its on board and they don't install the ram extra... so 256 +
    > 256 - (128 for video) = 384... if you don't beileve it take out one
    > stick of 256 and boot up it will show 128 megs of ram...

    Reading Comprehension 101: he said in his original post (which you stupidly
    failed to include) that the original 256 showed 256 in "My Computer".

    Toolman Tim, May 25, 2006
  6. Ike

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "Joel" <> said in

    > ok seriously your bois is set up to allocate 128 megs of ram for
    > video, its on board and they don't install the ram extra... so 256 +
    > 256 - (128 for video) = 384... if you don't beileve it take out one
    > stick of 256 and boot up it will show 128 megs of ram...

    If you read the post correctly, he said before he put the new stick in,
    when it booted up it showed 256 megs of RAM. Unless he went into the BIOS
    and allocated more memory to be shared, I doubt it would automatically do
    so by itself. Further more, if this laptop had been sharing memory with the
    graphics adapter, when you booted it up, it would've shown a deficit in a
    multiple of 4,8,16,32,etc.

    Neener

    Jerry Attic, May 25, 2006
  7. Ike

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> said in

    > In news:,
    > Joel spewed forth:
    >> ok seriously your bois is set up to allocate 128 megs of ram for
    >> video, its on board and they don't install the ram extra... so 256 +
    >> 256 - (128 for video) = 384... if you don't beileve it take out one
    >> stick of 256 and boot up it will show 128 megs of ram...

    > Reading Comprehension 101: he said in his original post (which you
    > stupidly failed to include) that the original 256 showed 256 in "My
    > Computer".

    You tell him, Toolbelt.... Snippy little twat that he is.

    Jerry Attic, May 25, 2006
  8. Ike

    Ike Guest

    It's a quite new notebook, so perhaps it's a smart and opportunistic
    BIOS that saw the extra memory and grabbed what it could. But it will
    never be used for gaming or other functions where a lot of video memory
    is needed. Will someone really smart tell me how to get into it and
    limit the video allocation to something reasonable, like 32 or 64MB?

    Thanks!

    Ike, May 25, 2006
  9. Ike

    Ron Martell Guest

    Ike <> wrote:

    >Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
    >came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
    >said 256MB.
    >
    >I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
    >I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
    >
    >Still 256+256=512
    >
    >?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?
    >
    >Thanks, gurus

    Is the original memory removable? If so then take it out and try the
    computer with just your "new" 256 mb module installed. What does it
    show for memory in Windows?

    If it shows only 128 mb then the problem is with your "new" memory
    stick.

    If it shows 256 mb then put the original 256 mb back in and see what
    happens.

    If that results in the 384 mb memory being reported again then use
    Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the BOOT.INI tab. Click on the
    Advanced Options button. Make sure that the checkbox for the
    "/MAXMEM=" line is clear and that there is no value in the data box
    for this line.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 25, 2006
  10. Ron Martell wrote:
    > Ike <> wrote:
    >

    >>Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
    >>came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
    >>said 256MB.
    >>
    >>I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
    >>I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
    >>
    >>Still 256+256=512
    >>
    >>?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?
    >>
    >>Thanks, gurus

    > Is the original memory removable? If so then take it out and try the
    > computer with just your "new" 256 mb module installed. What does it
    > show for memory in Windows?
    >
    > If it shows only 128 mb then the problem is with your "new" memory
    > stick.
    >
    > If it shows 256 mb then put the original 256 mb back in and see what
    > happens.
    >
    > If that results in the 384 mb memory being reported again then use
    > Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the BOOT.INI tab. Click on the
    > Advanced Options button. Make sure that the checkbox for the
    > "/MAXMEM=" line is clear and that there is no value in the data box
    > for this line.

    Is it true what gangle says about you?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 25, 2006
  11. Ike

    Ike Guest

    MAXMEM is unchecked.

    The computer "sees" 224MB with either stick in place, but 386 with both
    of them.

    Ike, May 25, 2006
  12. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Ike wrote:
    > MAXMEM is unchecked.
    >
    > The computer "sees" 224MB with either stick in place, but 386 with both
    > of them.

    <sigh> It's late here.
    that's 256 and 384

    Ike, May 25, 2006
  13. Ike

    gangle Guest

    "Rôgêr" wrote
    > Ron Martell wrote:
    > > Ike wrote:
    > >

    > >>Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
    > >>came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
    > >>said 256MB.
    > >>
    > >>I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
    > >>I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
    > >>
    > >>Still 256+256=512
    > >>
    > >>?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks, gurus

    > > Is the original memory removable? If so then take it out and try the
    > > computer with just your "new" 256 mb module installed. What does it
    > > show for memory in Windows?
    > >
    > > If it shows only 128 mb then the problem is with your "new" memory
    > > stick.
    > >
    > > If it shows 256 mb then put the original 256 mb back in and see what
    > > happens.
    > >
    > > If that results in the 384 mb memory being reported again then use
    > > Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the BOOT.INI tab. Click on the
    > > Advanced Options button. Make sure that the checkbox for the
    > > "/MAXMEM=" line is clear and that there is no value in the data box
    > > for this line.

    > Is it true what gangle says about you?

    You mean that "he" is a 13-15 year old girl? I think that has been proven
    beyond a shadow of a doubt, depite "his" denials. In addition, "he/she"
    never seems to age, so I now suggest that "he/she/it" is an android,
    a non-aging mutant, a glurd wearing a girl-human disguise, or an alien
    posing as a human. So, it is unlikely that "he/she/it" will answer your question
    honestly, if at all.

    gangle, May 25, 2006
  14. Ike

    Plato Guest

    Ike wrote:

    > Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
    > came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
    > said 256MB.
    >
    > I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
    > I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
    >
    > Still 256+256=512
    >
    > ?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?

    You have shared ram with your onboard video chip. Tho 164 may be a lot
    for a laptop video chip it's possible.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 25, 2006
  15. Ike

    Jim Guest

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > Ike <> wrote:
    >
    >> Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
    >> came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
    >> said 256MB.
    >>
    >> I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
    >> I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
    >>
    >> Still 256+256=512
    >>
    >> ?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?
    >>
    >> Thanks, gurus

    Does your video card in the laptop use shared video?

    Jim, May 25, 2006
  16. Ike

    Ron Martell Guest

    Ike <> wrote:

    >Ike wrote:
    >> MAXMEM is unchecked.
    >>
    >> The computer "sees" 224MB with either stick in place, but 386 with both
    >> of them.

    ><sigh> It's late here.
    >that's 256 and 384

    Yuk!!!!

    What is the actual Presario model number?

    Check out the memory specs for that model at www.crucial.com

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, May 25, 2006
  17. Ike

    TIETEKE Guest

    TIETEKE, May 25, 2006
  18. Ike

    Plato Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > >> I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
    > >> I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
    > >>
    > >> Still 256+256=512
    > >>
    > >> ?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?

    > Does your video card in the laptop use shared video?

    Eh? It's a laptop. Take a wild guess.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 25, 2006
  19. Ike

    Ike Guest

    So, shared video. Why, then, would it display "256" with one stick? And
    how can I force a small allocation to video?

    Ike, May 26, 2006
  20. Ike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:VNtdg.25131$,
    Ike spewed forth:
    > So, shared video. Why, then, would it display "256" with one stick?
    > And how can I force a small allocation to video?

    If it originally said 256, it is NOT shared video.

    Toolman Tim, May 26, 2006