    appropriate cable to connect the two devices? Is there a way to connect
    the BRI to Ethernet?

    john

    John Smith, Nov 4, 2004

  2. John Smith <> writes:

    > In my little lab I have an e250 server and a cisco 2504 router. the
    > router has 2 d60 pin serial ports, an rj45 " BRI " port, a 9 pin token
    > ring port and of course a console and aux port. My problem is that I
    > need to connect to the router through some other port than the console
    > after I have done initial set up. Could I use serial ports with an
    > appropriate cable to connect the two devices? Is there a way to
    > connect the BRI to Ethernet?

    You could get a Token Ring to Ethernet bridge, or in a pinch, use PPP
    between your Unix host and the 2504 using the AUX port on the 2504.

    Any other way would get too esoteric (say, getting a v.35 card for
    your Unix host and connecting to one of the serial ports on the
    router, etc)

    -jav

    Javier Henderson, Nov 4, 2004

  3. John Smith

    bob Guest

    Javier Henderson wrote:
    > John Smith <> writes:
    >

    >>In my little lab I have an e250 server and a cisco 2504 router. the
    >>router has 2 d60 pin serial ports, an rj45 " BRI " port, a 9 pin token
    >>ring port and of course a console and aux port. My problem is that I
    >>need to connect to the router through some other port than the console
    >>after I have done initial set up. Could I use serial ports with an
    >>appropriate cable to connect the two devices? Is there a way to
    >>connect the BRI to Ethernet?

    > You could get a Token Ring to Ethernet bridge, or in a pinch, use PPP
    > between your Unix host and the 2504 using the AUX port on the 2504.
    >
    > Any other way would get too esoteric (say, getting a v.35 card for
    > your Unix host and connecting to one of the serial ports on the
    > router, etc)
    >
    > -jav

    Can I set up an IP address for the aux port with ppp?

    bob, Nov 5, 2004
  4. bob <> writes:

    > Javier Henderson wrote:
    > > John Smith <> writes:
    > >
    > >>In my little lab I have an e250 server and a cisco 2504 router. the
    > >>router has 2 d60 pin serial ports, an rj45 " BRI " port, a 9 pin token
    > >>ring port and of course a console and aux port. My problem is that I
    > >>need to connect to the router through some other port than the console
    > >>after I have done initial set up. Could I use serial ports with an
    > >>appropriate cable to connect the two devices? Is there a way to
    > >>connect the BRI to Ethernet?

    > > You could get a Token Ring to Ethernet bridge, or in a pinch, use PPP
    > > between your Unix host and the 2504 using the AUX port on the 2504.
    > > Any other way would get too esoteric (say, getting a v.35 card for
    > > your Unix host and connecting to one of the serial ports on the
    > > router, etc)

    > Can I set up an IP address for the aux port with ppp?

    You mean, could the 2504 get an address assigned by its ppp peer as opposed
    to a statically configured one?

    -jav

    Javier Henderson, Nov 5, 2004
  5. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Javier Henderson wrote:
    > bob <> writes:
    >

    >>Javier Henderson wrote:

    >>>You could get a Token Ring to Ethernet bridge, or in a pinch, use PPP
    >>>between your Unix host and the 2504 using the AUX port on the 2504.
    >>>Any other way would get too esoteric (say, getting a v.35 card for
    >>>your Unix host and connecting to one of the serial ports on the
    >>>router, etc)

    >>Can I set up an IP address for the aux port with ppp?

    > You mean, could the 2504 get an address assigned by its ppp peer as opposed
    > to a statically configured one?
    >
    > -jav

    Well , I would really like the 2504 to have a static IP address. I want
    to test the functionality of ACL s etc so I need to be able to "attack"
    a IP address with different probes

    John Smith, Nov 5, 2004
  6. John Smith <> writes:

    > Javier Henderson wrote:
    > > bob <> writes:

    > >>Can I set up an IP address for the aux port with ppp?

    > > You mean, could the 2504 get an address assigned by its ppp peer as
    > > opposed
    > > to a statically configured one?

    > Well , I would really like the 2504 to have a static IP address. I
    > want to test the functionality of ACL s etc so I need to be able to
    > "attack" a IP address with different probes

    Sure, just assign an IP address to Aysnc1, which will be the interface
    associated with the AUX port.

    -jav

    Javier Henderson, Nov 5, 2004