    ports to the lan (with a converter), or are they just for router to
    router connections?

    Looking for someone to help clear this up for me. Thanks in advance!

    chusome, Mar 27, 2006

  2. chusome wrote:

    > Hi folks
    >
    > Cisco IOS newbie here:
    > I have a 2500 series that I currently toy with by connecting to using
    > the console port. What I would like to do is add the router as a
    > network appliance to my home network so that I can telnet into it. (as
    > well as have it interface with the network to create a real world
    > environment)
    >
    > I'm a little confused about the ports on this one. I have one aux, two
    > serial and a console.

    You can find an AUI Port, too.

    > I have an RJ-45 to aux converter but my
    > understanding is this is for dial-in access? Do you connect the serial
    > ports to the lan (with a converter), or are they just for router to
    > router connections?

    Use a Transceiver (AUI to RJ45 Converter) to connect your router to
    your LAN. On your router you have to configure your ethernet interface
    with an IP address and at least password and login method on vty.

    On console try this

    Router>enable
    Router#configure terminal
    Router(conf)#int ethernet 0
    Router(...)#ip address www.xxx.yyy.zzz 255.255.255.0
    Router(...)#no shutdown
    Router(...)#line vty 0 4
    Router(...)#password xxxxxxxx
    Router(...)#login
    Router(...)#end
    Router#write

    Andre Wisniewski, Mar 28, 2006

  3. chusome

    chusome Guest

    sorry, i meant to say aui in the first place (not aux).

    So you can use aui for broadband?. ie. its not only for dial-in?

    chusome, Mar 28, 2006
  4. chusome

    chusome Guest

    oh, never mind
    aux is for dial-in and aui is for ethernet... duh

    chusome, Mar 29, 2006