2500 ROUTER IOS UPGRADE BUFFER OVERFLOW ERROR MESSAGE

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by vreyesii, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. vreyesii

    vreyesii Guest

    I am trying to install an IOS into a 2502 Router. However, when the
    TFTP server reaches 50 % I get an error message which is "Buffer
    overflow - 4193792 / 4193728". Why am I getting this message? When I do
    a sh version I get this output. I believe I have enough memory. The
    image which I am trying to load is c2500-i-l.121-25.bin.

    Thank You,
    vreyesii

    3000 Software (IGS-RXBOOT Bootstrap), Version 9.14(4) fc3, RELEASE
    SOFTWARE
    Compiled Mon 13-Dec-93 15:53 by chansen

    System Bootstrap, Version (3.3), SOFTWARE

    enyrouter uptime is 15 minutes
    System restarted by power-on
    Running default software

    cisco 3000 (68030) processor (revision B) with 16384K/2048K bytes of
    memory.
    Processor board serial number 01226532
    DDN X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2 and BFE compliant.
    1 Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 interface.
    2 Serial network interfaces.
    4096K bytes of Flash address space sized on CPU board.
    Configuration register is 0x2101
    vreyesii, Sep 9, 2006

  2. vreyesii

    Peter Guest

    Hi Vreyesii,

    > I am trying to install an IOS into a 2502 Router. However, when the
    > TFTP server reaches 50 % I get an error message which is "Buffer
    > overflow - 4193792 / 4193728".

    It sounds like you have reached a SIZE limit of the TFTP Server S/W
    you are using,, however that is noramy around the 16MB size, not 4MB.
    One frequent failure that has been identfied is that some TFTP Server
    S/W doesnt correctly handle the large File sizes used these days. You
    need to use an updated TFTP Server. I use 3cdaemon and that handles
    large files fine.

    Cheers.............pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.
    Peter, Sep 9, 2006

  3. vreyesii

    vreyesii Guest

    Hi Peter,

    I tried updating the TFTP Server and I still have the same problem. Do
    you think its the amount of Flash memory that the router has is not
    enough?

    Thanks,

    Vreyesii

    vreyesii, Sep 10, 2006
  4. vreyesii

    Guest

    vreyesii wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > I tried updating the TFTP Server and I still have the same problem. Do
    > you think its the amount of Flash memory that the router has is not
    > enough?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Vreyesii
    >

    > Peter wrote:
    > > Hi Vreyesii,
    > >
    > > > I am trying to install an IOS into a 2502 Router. However, when the
    > > > TFTP server reaches 50 % I get an error message which is "Buffer
    > > > overflow - 4193792 / 4193728".

    > > It sounds like you have reached a SIZE limit of the TFTP Server S/W
    > > you are using,, however that is noramy around the 16MB size, not 4MB.
    > > One frequent failure that has been identfied is that some TFTP Server
    > > S/W doesnt correctly handle the large File sizes used these days. You
    > > need to use an updated TFTP Server. I use 3cdaemon and that handles
    > > large files fine.

    "4096K bytes of Flash address space sized on CPU board. "

    You appear to have 4M of flash.

    The tftp issue by the way is that there is a max file size of
    32M 64k x 512

    Some implementations of tftp used signed numbers for
    the block counter and went wrong at 16M file size.

    I like tftpd32.exe
    http://perso.orange.fr/philippe.jounin/tftpd32.html

    no install, small just run it.

    It is though getting more and more features
    but old versions are still on the web site.

    I use 2.2 which does /not/ have a dhcp server.
    , Sep 10, 2006
  5. vreyesii

    vreyesii Guest

    Thanks for the help looks like I am going to have to get more Flash
    memory.

    vreyesii

    vreyesii, Sep 10, 2006