25 new Brooklyn camera dealer pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Wiss, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    I just put on the web an additional 25 pictures of Brooklyn store fronts.
    These were taken over several bicycle trips over the past few weeks. The
    new ones are mixed in, but can be found by looking for numbers greater than
    138. See: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

    Most of the new pictures also have the larger original size picture
    available if you click on the VGA sized one. To know if this is the case
    hover your cursor over the picture and it will note so.

    The pictures are in alphabetical order by assumed business name. I have
    moved the ones now out-of-business to a section at the end. Former
    locations are still mixed in with current locations. I could put them into
    their own section. What do you think?

    The new pictures include a few businesses that do not sell digital cameras.
    There are more such dealers, like ones selling appliances only, that I
    could add. This, of course, takes me away from the site's original purpose.
    Should I include them?

    There is an awful lot of time spent in researching and trying to figure out
    the relationships and where they really are. Taking the pictures is the
    easy and fun part. I may have some relationships wrong. Then for some I
    simply don't know the true location where business is conducted from. Then
    there is the contradictory information. For example, on this page:
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t109127.html it has all the Inoax and
    butterflyphoto businesses as one. With some of the J&K and Big on Digital
    web sites included for good measure. It is possible, but I doubt it.

    Another question. Should I make the domain names I list hot links to their
    sites?

    Anyway, I have more pictures to take. And a few to upgrade. My goal is to
    get all caught up before winter sets in.

    This is the only announcement I am posting on these new pictures. Feel free
    to forward this on to appropriate forums.

    Don Wiss, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Don Wiss

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:46:42 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

    > The new pictures include a few businesses that do not sell digital cameras.
    > There are more such dealers, like ones selling appliances only, that I
    > could add. This, of course, takes me away from the site's original purpose.
    > Should I include them?

    If they're affiliated in any way with any of the camera shops,
    definitely. And if not, why not? :)

    > Another question. Should I make the domain names I list hot links
    > to their sites?

    It wouldn't make any difference to me. Hot or not, it's almost
    trivially easy to use the links. If they're hot, I suppose you
    might be able to collect some data showing something about either
    the popularity of the storefronts or the organization of your
    website.

    ASAAR, Sep 4, 2005

  3. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:41:33 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:46:42 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
    >
    >> The new pictures include a few businesses that do not sell digital cameras.
    >> There are more such dealers, like ones selling appliances only, that I
    >> could add. This, of course, takes me away from the site's original purpose.
    >> Should I include them?

    > If they're affiliated in any way with any of the camera shops,
    >definitely. And if not, why not? :)

    No affiliation. Just when searching on Brooklyn on places like pricescan
    they come up. The downside is more work for me to maintain the entire
    thing.

    Don Wiss, Sep 4, 2005
  4. "Don Wiss" wrote
    > No affiliation. Just when searching on Brooklyn on places like pricescan
    > they come up. The downside is more work for me to maintain the entire
    > thing.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    I don't have a preference either way, but did want to say I think the work
    you already is really valuable. I hope you get emails from people who
    appreciate the work you put into the site, and trying to prevent the scam
    artists from winning the war. I also hope that on ocassion you get an email
    telling you how you saved someone who was just about to order from one the
    less than desirable sites. It is always good to know the work we do has a
    positive impact on others and you deserve lots of feedback.

    Take care,
    Linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Don Wiss

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 21:18:12 -0300, "Linda Nieuwenstein"
    <> wrote:

    >"Don Wiss" wrote
    >> No affiliation. Just when searching on Brooklyn on places like pricescan
    >> they come up. The downside is more work for me to maintain the entire
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
    >>

    >I don't have a preference either way, but did want to say I think the work
    >you already is really valuable. I hope you get emails from people who
    >appreciate the work you put into the site, and trying to prevent the scam
    >artists from winning the war. I also hope that on ocassion you get an email
    >telling you how you saved someone who was just about to order from one the
    >less than desirable sites. It is always good to know the work we do has a
    >positive impact on others and you deserve lots of feedback.
    >
    >Take care,
    >Linda

    I will second that.
    Thanks, Don! I offer your pics as a part of a Digital Photo Sig info
    package.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    Linda Nieuwenstein <> wrote:

    > but did want to say I think the work
    >you already is really valuable. I hope you get emails from people who
    >appreciate the work you put into the site, and trying to prevent the scam
    >artists from winning the war. I also hope that on ocassion you get an email
    >telling you how you saved someone who was just about to order from one the
    >less than desirable sites. It is always good to know the work we do has a
    >positive impact on others and you deserve lots of feedback.

    I get all types of e-mails. People from before the sale, and they then find
    a mention to reselleratings.com which settles it for them. But more after
    e-mails, and I hear about all sorts of sorry tales. The latest is a fellow
    in Sweden that returned something. He has the documentation showing the
    owner of the mailbox store that he sent it to signed for it. But he gets
    the runaround. The number he is supposed to call is not answering. He
    finally got an e-mail with "We are sorry that the number is not working,
    our office is currently moving due to the Katarina [sic] situation, we can
    call you." Now we didn't even get any rain here from Katrina.

    But maybe they are moving for some other reason. Let me add their real
    address to my list of ones to check.

    Don Wiss, Sep 5, 2005
  7. Don Wiss

    Jer Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:41:33 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:46:42 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
    >>

    >>>The new pictures include a few businesses that do not sell digital cameras.
    >>>There are more such dealers, like ones selling appliances only, that I
    >>>could add. This, of course, takes me away from the site's original purpose.
    >>>Should I include them?

    >> If they're affiliated in any way with any of the camera shops,
    >>definitely. And if not, why not? :)

    > No affiliation. Just when searching on Brooklyn on places like pricescan
    > they come up. The downside is more work for me to maintain the entire
    > thing.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    Just remember... any webmonkey can analyse inbound referrer data to
    learn where their hits are coming from. For them to know your hot links
    are the source may or may not matter to you.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Sep 5, 2005
  8. Don Wiss

    Jer Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:41:33 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:46:42 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
    >>

    >>>The new pictures include a few businesses that do not sell digital cameras.
    >>>There are more such dealers, like ones selling appliances only, that I
    >>>could add. This, of course, takes me away from the site's original purpose.
    >>>Should I include them?

    >> If they're affiliated in any way with any of the camera shops,
    >>definitely. And if not, why not? :)

    > No affiliation. Just when searching on Brooklyn on places like pricescan
    > they come up. The downside is more work for me to maintain the entire
    > thing.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    Oh, I'm such a flub... keep on keeping on.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Sep 5, 2005
  9. Don Wiss

    salgud Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > I just put on the web an additional 25 pictures of Brooklyn store fronts.
    > These were taken over several bicycle trips over the past few weeks. The
    > new ones are mixed in, but can be found by looking for numbers greater than
    > 138. See: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/
    >
    > Most of the new pictures also have the larger original size picture
    > available if you click on the VGA sized one. To know if this is the case
    > hover your cursor over the picture and it will note so.
    >
    > The pictures are in alphabetical order by assumed business name. I have
    > moved the ones now out-of-business to a section at the end. Former
    > locations are still mixed in with current locations. I could put them into
    > their own section. What do you think?
    >
    > The new pictures include a few businesses that do not sell digital cameras.
    > There are more such dealers, like ones selling appliances only, that I
    > could add. This, of course, takes me away from the site's original purpose.
    > Should I include them?
    >
    > There is an awful lot of time spent in researching and trying to figure out
    > the relationships and where they really are. Taking the pictures is the
    > easy and fun part. I may have some relationships wrong. Then for some I
    > simply don't know the true location where business is conducted from. Then
    > there is the contradictory information. For example, on this page:
    > http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t109127.html it has all the Inoax and
    > butterflyphoto businesses as one. With some of the J&K and Big on Digital
    > web sites included for good measure. It is possible, but I doubt it.
    >
    > Another question. Should I make the domain names I list hot links to their
    > sites?
    >
    > Anyway, I have more pictures to take. And a few to upgrade. My goal is to
    > get all caught up before winter sets in.
    >
    > This is the only announcement I am posting on these new pictures. Feel free
    > to forward this on to appropriate forums.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    Maybe I'm naive, but does a business neccessarily have to have a nice
    store front to be reputable? In this day and age, don't some honest
    businesses eschew the fancy facilities to keep costs down and still
    deliver to their customers? Or is there a direct correlation between
    the cost of the store front and the quality of the business?

    salgud, Sep 5, 2005
  10. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 4 Sep 2005 23:31:07 -0700, salgud <> wrote:

    >Maybe I'm naive, but does a business neccessarily have to have a nice
    >store front to be reputable? In this day and age, don't some honest
    >businesses eschew the fancy facilities to keep costs down and still
    >deliver to their customers? Or is there a direct correlation between
    >the cost of the store front and the quality of the business?

    I know of at least one blog that mentions my site and argues that the low
    cost look means they can pass the savings on to their customers. This is
    fine by me, as I don't want to pass judgement at my site on the places I
    picture. I impartially picture everybody I can find.

    Don Wiss, Sep 5, 2005
  11. On Sun, 04 Sep 2005, at 16:46:42 [GMT -0400] (06:46:42 Monday, 5 September
    2005 where I live) "Don Wiss" wrote:

    > I just put on the web an additional 25 pictures of Brooklyn store fronts.
    > These were taken over several bicycle trips over the past few weeks. The
    > new ones are mixed in, but can be found by looking for numbers greater than
    > 138. See: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

    Thanks for putting these up. Pity they are allowed to remain in business!

    --
    Remember: You're unique, just like everybody else

    John Phillips, Sep 5, 2005
  12. Don Wiss

    Patrick Kane Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:01:25 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
    wrote:

    >No affiliation. Just when searching on Brooklyn on places like pricescan
    >they come up. The downside is more work for me to maintain the entire
    >thing.

    Don, I've made several referrals to your site, so I definitely
    appreciate the hard work you've done.

    I'd say to keep it focused on cameras only. The extra work might get
    you to a point where you just don't want to maintain the site anymore.

    Patrick Kane, Sep 5, 2005
  13. Don Wiss

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 4 Sep 2005 23:31:07 -0700, "salgud" <> wrote:

    >Maybe I'm naive, but does a business neccessarily have to have a nice
    >store front to be reputable? In this day and age, don't some honest
    >businesses eschew the fancy facilities to keep costs down and still
    >deliver to their customers? Or is there a direct correlation between
    >the cost of the store front and the quality of the business?

    No, the lack of a stocked store, or nice showroom, doesn't mean a
    company is bad. Lot's of places are drop-ship orghanizations, and
    completely honest.
    Unfortunately, when an item is 'hot', as computers and digital cameras
    (and roofing work after a storm :)), for example, there will always
    people who will take the easy way out for making money.
    Taking orders and credit card numbers is such a way to make money
    easily. Luring customers into the operation with low prices and
    promises of great service will always bring in orders from those less
    willing or able to check on the sellers. Digital camera shops seem to
    be one such fertile ground for such scams.
    As always, places like resellerratings.com should be consulted when
    you're thinking of dealing with a shop you're not familiar with.
    After reading here for a while, you'll see that, in NY, places like
    B&H and Adorama and a few others are very honest and reliable, with
    prices that are a little higher than average. If yiou see porices that
    are *very much* lower than theirs, alarms should go off. Competition
    is tight, lower prices must be padded somehow to pay the employees and
    overhead, as well as the rent. Even drop-shipping can't get the price
    of, for example, a Digital Rebel XT/350D kit down to $750US. Yet.
    Caveat emptor.

    Bill Funk, Sep 5, 2005
  14. Don Wiss

    Tony Guest

    And the constant stream of new names means they don't wish to rest on
    their laurels. The constant stream of complaints to the bbb probably refers
    to thier continuing committment to experimenting with new forms of
    integrity.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Sep 5, 2005
  15. Don Wiss

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:54:38 GMT, "Tony" <> wrote:

    > And the constant stream of new names means they don't wish to rest on
    >their laurels. The constant stream of complaints to the bbb probably refers
    >to thier continuing committment to experimenting with new forms of
    >integrity.

    Ah! Of course! That's it, I'm, sure! :-/

    Bill Funk, Sep 6, 2005
  16. Don Wiss

    salgud Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On 4 Sep 2005 23:31:07 -0700, "salgud" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Maybe I'm naive, but does a business neccessarily have to have a nice
    > >store front to be reputable? In this day and age, don't some honest
    > >businesses eschew the fancy facilities to keep costs down and still
    > >deliver to their customers? Or is there a direct correlation between
    > >the cost of the store front and the quality of the business?

    > No, the lack of a stocked store, or nice showroom, doesn't mean a
    > company is bad. Lot's of places are drop-ship orghanizations, and
    > completely honest.
    > Unfortunately, when an item is 'hot', as computers and digital cameras
    > (and roofing work after a storm :)), for example, there will always
    > people who will take the easy way out for making money.
    > Taking orders and credit card numbers is such a way to make money
    > easily. Luring customers into the operation with low prices and
    > promises of great service will always bring in orders from those less
    > willing or able to check on the sellers. Digital camera shops seem to
    > be one such fertile ground for such scams.
    > As always, places like resellerratings.com should be consulted when
    > you're thinking of dealing with a shop you're not familiar with.
    > After reading here for a while, you'll see that, in NY, places like
    > B&H and Adorama and a few others are very honest and reliable, with
    > prices that are a little higher than average. If yiou see porices that
    > are *very much* lower than theirs, alarms should go off. Competition
    > is tight, lower prices must be padded somehow to pay the employees and
    > overhead, as well as the rent. Even drop-shipping can't get the price
    > of, for example, a Digital Rebel XT/350D kit down to $750US. Yet.
    > Caveat emptor.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > Replace "g" with "a"
    > funktionality.blogspot.com

    I agree with everything you've said. I've been shopping for my first
    digital camera and am thinking about buying it online. I've been
    checking out the online prices and have found the incredibly low priced
    vendors and finding out what you usually do in those circumstances. The
    prices are indeed in-credible. IOW, not credible. The places have
    terrible ratings and reviews. I've learned over the years that buying
    online means doing as much research into the sellers as the product
    itself.
    Actually, I guess it's not that different. I haven't shopped in Sears
    in almost 30 years, when I came the the conclusion that their basic
    philosophy of business is to treat all cumtomers like marks, stupid
    people to be fleeced at every opportunity. I won't shop somewhere where
    I believe they're out to take me for every cent they can get from the
    second I walk in the door! They've always been around, but the internet
    gives them even better ways to hide and take advantage of the unwary.
    I'm just not convinced that a lousy store front is indicative of
    anything. I certainly wouldn't let it discourage me from buying from
    someone who has a 99+% rating. Not would a fancy store front, i.e.
    Sears, convince me they're legit. Appearances can be misleading both
    ways. Caveat emptor, as always.

    salgud, Sep 6, 2005
  17. Don Wiss

    David Harmon Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:46:42 -0400 in rec.photo.digital, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote,
    >Another question. Should I make the domain names I list hot links to their
    >sites?

    Linking to them would raise their Google ratings.
    You decide if that is good or bad.

    David Harmon, Sep 7, 2005
  18. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:53:19 GMT, David Harmon <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:46:42 -0400 in rec.photo.digital, Don Wiss wrote,
    >>Another question. Should I make the domain names I list hot links to their
    >>sites?

    >Linking to them would raise their Google ratings.
    >You decide if that is good or bad.

    I doubt that would matter. They get their business from having low prices
    on the price search sites. I decided not to, as I don't want them to
    analyze their statistics and find traffic coming from my site.

    I've got my next tour all mapped out. I need to get caught up before I can
    resume looking for more. I need all of them on one page, so I can easily
    reference it to find out if I already have them.

    Don Wiss, Sep 7, 2005
  19. Don Wiss

    salgud Guest

    John Phillips wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005, at 16:46:42 [GMT -0400] (06:46:42 Monday, 5 September
    > 2005 where I live) "Don Wiss" wrote:
    >
    > > I just put on the web an additional 25 pictures of Brooklyn store fronts.
    > > These were taken over several bicycle trips over the past few weeks. The
    > > new ones are mixed in, but can be found by looking for numbers greater than
    > > 138. See: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

    > Thanks for putting these up. Pity they are allowed to remain in business!
    >
    > --
    > Remember: You're unique, just like everybody else

    Obviously, there are 2 schools of thought in this thread. Above, I
    suggested that the bricks part of an internect business is probably not
    indicative of whether or not they're honest or shady, and got some
    agreement. In this part of the thread, it's a given that anyone with a
    shabby store front is a crook. Very interesting!

    salgud, Sep 7, 2005
  20. Don Wiss

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:53:19 GMT, David Harmon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:46:42 -0400 in rec.photo.digital, Don Wiss wrote,
    >>>Another question. Should I make the domain names I list hot links to their
    >>>sites?

    >>Linking to them would raise their Google ratings.
    >>You decide if that is good or bad.

    >I doubt that would matter. They get their business from having low prices
    >on the price search sites. I decided not to, as I don't want them to
    >analyze their statistics and find traffic coming from my site.
    >
    >I've got my next tour all mapped out. I need to get caught up before I can
    >resume looking for more. I need all of them on one page, so I can easily
    >reference it to find out if I already have them.
    >
    >Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    You can put the URL on you web page as plain text and people
    can cot and paste instead of clicking. Explain why and they'll
    understand.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.