240 Pin 5300 not backwards compatible to 4200?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ng_reader, Feb 28, 2009.

  1. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    I got this kit of DDR2 PC2 5300 speed memory thinking it would work in my 2
    year old HP desktop.

    The machine calls for 4200 speed memory.

    Putting the new chips in, the machine does not start up.

    Adding one new and one old, only the old chip shows up.

    I guess the memory might be bad, but, is there any chance that a machine
    that takes this 4200 speed memory *won't* work with 5300 speed memory
    modules?

    FWIW I am trying to go from 512MB to 2GB. I only have two DIMM slots to play
    with.

    I will tell you this, also, booting up with 128MB of RAM was incredibly
    painfully slow.

    Thanks in advance,

    Mr. Curious
    ng_reader, Feb 28, 2009

  2. ng_reader

    Mike Easter Guest

    ng_reader wrote:
    > I got this kit of DDR2 PC2 5300 speed memory thinking it would work in
    > my 2 year old HP desktop.
    >
    > The machine calls for 4200 speed memory.

    Generally higher rated speed works OK, just at the lower speed which the
    mobo was designed for.

    > Putting the new chips in, the machine does not start up.
    >
    > Adding one new and one old, only the old chip shows up.
    >
    > I guess the memory might be bad, but, is there any chance that a machine
    > that takes this 4200 speed memory *won't* work with 5300 speed memory
    > modules?

    I wouldn't think so. What is the mobo?

    > FWIW I am trying to go from 512MB to 2GB. I only have two DIMM slots to
    > play with.

    So... that means that you have 2 1G 5300 DDR2 sticks? Or what? How much
    ram is the mobo rated per slot?

    > I will tell you this, also, booting up with 128MB of RAM was incredibly
    > painfully slow.

    Where does 128 come from? If you had 512 it seems you might've had either
    1 512 or 2 256s.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 28, 2009

  3. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > ng_reader wrote:
    >> I got this kit of DDR2 PC2 5300 speed memory thinking it would work in
    >> my 2 year old HP desktop.
    >>
    >> The machine calls for 4200 speed memory.

    > Generally higher rated speed works OK, just at the lower speed which the
    > mobo was designed for.
    >
    >> Putting the new chips in, the machine does not start up.
    >>
    >> Adding one new and one old, only the old chip shows up.
    >>
    >> I guess the memory might be bad, but, is there any chance that a machine
    >> that takes this 4200 speed memory *won't* work with 5300 speed memory
    >> modules?

    > I wouldn't think so. What is the mobo?

    It's a CTO model from HP. I'm not sure who built the MB, but the
    information can be found on the HP website easily enough. The system is a
    1410y

    >> FWIW I am trying to go from 512MB to 2GB. I only have two DIMM slots to
    >> play with.

    > So... that means that you have 2 1G 5300 DDR2 sticks? Or what? How much
    > ram is the mobo rated per slot?

    According to Ben at HP chat support the computer will not boot if I use
    faster RAM. He was right, of course. When I asked about flashing the BIOS,
    he said that would not help. Odd, the BIOS was a company I had never heard
    of before, CVS or something. A three letter acronym or TLA.

    >> I will tell you this, also, booting up with 128MB of RAM was incredibly
    >> painfully slow.

    > Where does 128 come from? If you had 512 it seems you might've had either
    > 1 512 or 2 256s.

    Yep that's a typo. 256 is painfully slow. Lord knows what 128 would have
    been like.

    On a side note, I ordered from newegg PC4200 RAM and will get rid of the
    other stuff on ebay for a small loss (I assume).

    The machine is running XP, the thing has two applications running ---
    LimeWire and ITunes --- and the pagefile is over 600MB. With on board
    512MB, I'm hoping the memory upgrade helps.

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks Mike.

    ng_reader, Feb 28, 2009
  4. ng_reader

    Buffalo Guest

    ng_reader wrote:
    > I got this kit of DDR2 PC2 5300 speed memory thinking it would work
    > in my 2 year old HP desktop.
    >
    > The machine calls for 4200 speed memory.
    >
    > Putting the new chips in, the machine does not start up.
    >
    > Adding one new and one old, only the old chip shows up.
    >
    > I guess the memory might be bad, but, is there any chance that a
    > machine that takes this 4200 speed memory *won't* work with 5300
    > speed memory modules?
    >
    > FWIW I am trying to go from 512MB to 2GB. I only have two DIMM slots
    > to play with.
    >
    > I will tell you this, also, booting up with 128MB of RAM was
    > incredibly painfully slow.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Mr. Curious

    The speed shouldn't of made a difference, but the density (high or low) can
    make a big difference.
    Cheaper high density ram doesn't work on many machines, regardless of speed.
    Usually if you want to see what your machine requires, you just go to
    Crucial.com and see what it recommends.
    Hope the new ram you ordered from NewEgg is the right stuff.
    Buffalo, Mar 1, 2009
  5. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    > Hope the new ram you ordered from NewEgg is the right stuff.

    yeah. me too.
    ng_reader, Mar 1, 2009
  6. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    Just as an update, the 4200 speed RAM worked, however, only one of the two
    banks on the MOBO seems to recognize any memory. So, I am maxxed out at 1GB.
    But it works.

    Odd that the MOBO has a faulty bank number 2, isn't it?

    Oh, and the BIOS? It was AMI, or American Megatrends. An oldie but goodie.
    ng_reader, Mar 5, 2009
  7. ng_reader

    Buffalo Guest

    ng_reader wrote:
    > Just as an update, the 4200 speed RAM worked, however, only one of
    > the two banks on the MOBO seems to recognize any memory. So, I am
    > maxxed out at 1GB. But it works.
    >
    > Odd that the MOBO has a faulty bank number 2, isn't it?
    >
    > Oh, and the BIOS? It was AMI, or American Megatrends. An oldie but
    > goodie.

    Happy to hear that you got up to a least 1GB.
    Have you tried just using one stick of ram?
    Some mbs will only recognize one 'side' of the ram stick (if you have the
    wrong type of ram) so I am just curious if one slot is really bad or if you
    mb is only detecting one side of each ram stick.
    ie: 1/2 of a 1GB stick would be 512MB x 2 (sticks) would read out as 1GB
    total.
    Buffalo, Mar 5, 2009
  8. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in message

    > ng_reader wrote:
    >> Just as an update, the 4200 speed RAM worked, however, only one of
    >> the two banks on the MOBO seems to recognize any memory. So, I am
    >> maxxed out at 1GB. But it works.
    >>
    >> Odd that the MOBO has a faulty bank number 2, isn't it?
    >>
    >> Oh, and the BIOS? It was AMI, or American Megatrends. An oldie but
    >> goodie.

    > Happy to hear that you got up to a least 1GB.
    > Have you tried just using one stick of ram?
    > Some mbs will only recognize one 'side' of the ram stick (if you have the
    > wrong type of ram) so I am just curious if one slot is really bad or if
    > you
    > mb is only detecting one side of each ram stick.
    > ie: 1/2 of a 1GB stick would be 512MB x 2 (sticks) would read out as 1GB
    > total.

    I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The "ECS" MOBO (never heard of them
    before) has a total of two slots. Only slot "0" will recognize any memory,
    now. Whether it is either of my non-matching 256MB sticks or my matching 1GB
    sticks. Now, 48-72 hours ago I'm *pretty* sure that both of those slots were
    working. In as much as the machine recognized about 512MB or RAM with two
    256MB sticks in it. But, I'm pretty sure slot "1" is either bad or at the
    very least malfunctioning. I've copied ECS on this memo, but, as the board
    is "out of warranty" may have little recourse.

    Really not too worried. I picked the machine up from Office Depot for what
    was supposed to be $100 after MIR. Who knows how much money I really did get
    back, but, this was not a high end "PC".

    But, to answer your question, the machine only has one stick of ram in it
    now, and it's running fine.
    ng_reader, Mar 6, 2009
  9. ng_reader

    Buffalo Guest

    ng_reader wrote:
    > "Buffalo" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> ng_reader wrote:
    >>> Just as an update, the 4200 speed RAM worked, however, only one of
    >>> the two banks on the MOBO seems to recognize any memory. So, I am
    >>> maxxed out at 1GB. But it works.
    >>>
    >>> Odd that the MOBO has a faulty bank number 2, isn't it?
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and the BIOS? It was AMI, or American Megatrends. An oldie but
    >>> goodie.

    >> Happy to hear that you got up to a least 1GB.
    >> Have you tried just using one stick of ram?
    >> Some mbs will only recognize one 'side' of the ram stick (if you
    >> have the wrong type of ram) so I am just curious if one slot is
    >> really bad or if you
    >> mb is only detecting one side of each ram stick.
    >> ie: 1/2 of a 1GB stick would be 512MB x 2 (sticks) would read out
    >> as 1GB total.
    >>

    > I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The "ECS" MOBO (never heard of
    > them before) has a total of two slots. Only slot "0" will recognize
    > any memory, now. Whether it is either of my non-matching 256MB sticks
    > or my matching 1GB sticks. Now, 48-72 hours ago I'm *pretty* sure
    > that both of those slots were working. In as much as the machine
    > recognized about 512MB or RAM with two 256MB sticks in it. But, I'm
    > pretty sure slot "1" is either bad or at the very least
    > malfunctioning. I've copied ECS on this memo, but, as the board is
    > "out of warranty" may have little recourse.
    >
    > Really not too worried. I picked the machine up from Office Depot for
    > what was supposed to be $100 after MIR. Who knows how much money I
    > really did get back, but, this was not a high end "PC".
    >
    > But, to answer your question, the machine only has one stick of ram
    > in it now, and it's running fine.

    If it is registering 1 GB with only one stick in it, then it is the correct
    ram.
    ECS is a brand of mb made by EliteGroup and their website is ecsusa,com,
    in case you're interested.
    Strange that slot 1 will not work now, when it did before.
    I suppose you could try to blow out any debris from that slot and use a
    magnifying glass and bright light to see if anything is amiss in that slot,
    such as shorted out pins (possible scorch marks) or something covering one
    or more of the pins.
    Did you notice any difference in performance with the doubling of ram?
    Buffalo, Mar 6, 2009
  10. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    <snip>
    > If it is registering 1 GB with only one stick in it, then it is the
    > correct
    > ram.
    > ECS is a brand of mb made by EliteGroup and their website is
    > ecsusa,com,
    > in case you're interested.
    > Strange that slot 1 will not work now, when it did before.
    > I suppose you could try to blow out any debris from that slot and use a
    > magnifying glass and bright light to see if anything is amiss in that
    > slot,
    > such as shorted out pins (possible scorch marks) or something covering one
    > or more of the pins.
    > Did you notice any difference in performance with the doubling of ram?

    Performance increase, yes. Could check close-up as you suggested. On the
    back burner for now. But, thanx for your interest.

    And yes, it is a bit odd when things suddenly stop functioning for no
    apparent reason.
    ng_reader, Mar 7, 2009