24 Season 3 Bad Bad Bad (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by nospam@nospam.com, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Just finished watching S3 on DVDs and how this series has gone down
    south after S1. The primary reason that makes S1 a success is that
    the writers can intertwin two main plots, David Palmer's presidential
    campagin (the attemp on his life) and Jack Bauer's attemp to protect
    David seamlessly. S2 takes a big step backward in this regard but at
    least the palace coup is somewhat interesting.

    The David Palmer plot has been reduced to a side show of a side show
    in S3 which makes S3 just a show about a bunch of guys with guns and
    cell phones chasing another bunch of guys with guns and cell phones.

    At least the reappearance of Sherry Palmer allows the David Palmer
    plot to develop somewhat but the writers underuse her role. She is
    one of the major reasons why 24 S1 is success.

    I shouted contrive, contrive and contrive when I saw Nina Myers
    reappear in S3. Thank god Jack finally kills her and I hope they
    don't bring her back again in S4 with some biogenic technique.

    It seems to me the script was rewritten about 1/4 of the way. At
    first it was about the CTU mole Guy-ale and the Salasa brothers. Then
    S3 does a double switch so Guy-ale and Jack all become triple agents.

    The writers never explain why the Salasa brothers need to monitor the
    kid if the kid doesn't have the virus with him. One might allow for
    inconsistency in plot for a show like this but this plot hole is too
    big to let go.

    The ease that all these CTU tech guys can access any bank accounts on
    earth or shut down a subway train in split second is devoid of any
    realism. When you strip off the layer of vulnerability from the
    characters, you stop caring for them because you know in the end this
    is just a show and nothing will happen to the likes of Jack Bauer or
    James Bond. In fact, S3 makes James Bond look real in comparison.
    , Feb 19, 2005

  2. Scooby Guest

    It was bad yes, that is if you don't enjoy good television.
    Scooby, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Mark Spatny Guest

    , says...
    > Just finished watching S3 on DVDs and how this series has gone down
    > south after S1.

    I mostly agree. I thought season 2 was as good as season 1, but after
    about 6 episodes I gave up on season 3.

    > I shouted contrive, contrive and contrive when I saw Nina Myers
    > reappear in S3.

    Agreed.

    > The ease that all these CTU tech guys can access any bank accounts on
    > earth or shut down a subway train in split second is devoid of any
    > realism.

    And yet, when the head guy says "get my daughter in a car and get her
    out of town", they bumble about like the Keystone Kops, and suddenly
    said daughter is fleeing from mountain lions and creeps in bomb
    shelters.
    Mark Spatny, Feb 19, 2005
  4. Ed Guest

    I thought season 3 really picked up steam towards the end, when the
    virus was released in the hotel. That was at about hour 16. From then
    to the end of the season it was as good as ever, in my opinion.

    Ed
    Ed, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > I mostly agree. I thought season 2 was as good as season 1, but after
    > about 6 episodes I gave up on season 3.

    You missed all the good stuff, then. The season turns completely around
    by the midpoint.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 19, 2005
  6. Mark Spatny Guest

    Ed, says...
    > I thought season 3 really picked up steam towards the end, when the
    > virus was released in the hotel. That was at about hour 16.

    Well, I have to tell you, you shouldn't have to watch 15 hours of a show
    before it gets good. That's kind of like saying Micheal Bay's Pearl
    Harbor relly picked up steam when the Japanese attack. Sure, it's true,
    but the rest of the movie sucked out loud and was unwatchable.

    I don't have a spare 15 hours in my life to throw away waiting for a TV
    show to "pick up steam".
    Mark Spatny, Feb 19, 2005
  7. Mark Spatny Guest

    Joshua Zyber, says...
    > "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > > I mostly agree. I thought season 2 was as good as season 1, but after
    > > about 6 episodes I gave up on season 3.

    > You missed all the good stuff, then.

    Maybe, but why should I have to sit through all the bad stuff first?
    They should write the good stuff starting in episode 1. Not make you
    watch hours of confused drivel and contrived characters while they
    figure out where the series is going.

    That's like season 1, where Jack's wife started having amnesia. At least
    then the writers figured out is was a B story going nowhere, and dropped
    it quick.
    Mark Spatny, Feb 19, 2005
  8. Nonymous Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just finished watching S3 on DVDs and how this series has gone down
    > south after S1.

    I also didn't like S3 as well. (But as others have said, the season really
    picked up steam once Jack got out of Mexico.)

    But I'm finding the new S4 to be really good. Almost as good as (if not
    *as* good as S1).
    Nonymous, Feb 20, 2005
  9. Guest

    I guess I had more faith that the writers WOULD eventually get back on
    track, and that when they did, it would be all worth while.

    In my opinion, in the end my faith was well founded.

    Anyway, to me, even bad episodes of "24" are better than almost any
    other TV show. I hardly watch any other shows.

    Ed
    , Feb 22, 2005
  10. Jeff Rife Guest

    Mark Spatny () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > That's like season 1, where Jack's wife started having amnesia. At least
    > then the writers figured out is was a B story going nowhere, and dropped
    > it quick.

    Not having watched a single episode of "24", this sure doesn't make me
    want to watch it now.

    A show about the happenings of a single day isn't plotted out before any
    words are written? That's just insane. I know, that's Hollywood.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Feb 22, 2005
  11. Nick Guest

    100% with you there. Nearly all tv series bore me to death. 24 doesn't - ok
    its not the most realistic show ever but who cares! Great escapist fun...in
    fact I can't think of any tv series that I do watch right now. There's
    certainly no other tv series' that I would buy on dvd.

    Nick, Feb 22, 2005
  12. jayembee Guest

    Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >Mark Spatny () wrote:
    >>
    >> That's like season 1, where Jack's wife started having amnesia. At least
    >> then the writers figured out is was a B story going nowhere, and dropped
    >> it quick.

    > Not having watched a single episode of "24", this sure doesn't make me
    > want to watch it now.

    I watched "24" for the first time on DVD (the first two seasons, just
    before S3 started on TV). In my opinion, it's the closest that anyone
    in the last 50 years has come to emulating the classic movie serial,
    warts and all. If you like serials, as silly as they can be, you'll
    probably like "24".

    > A show about the happenings of a single day isn't plotted out before any
    > words are written? That's just insane. I know, that's Hollywood.

    It's not quite *that* bad. They generally plot out half-a-dozen eps
    ahead. I seem to be in the minority, but I rather like it, as it keeps
    things as unpredictable as real life is.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 23, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    jayembee <> wrote:
    >Jeff Rife <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Spatny () wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's like season 1, where Jack's wife started having amnesia. At least
    >>> then the writers figured out is was a B story going nowhere, and dropped
    >>> it quick.

    >> Not having watched a single episode of "24", this sure doesn't make me
    >> want to watch it now.

    >I watched "24" for the first time on DVD (the first two seasons, just
    >before S3 started on TV). In my opinion, it's the closest that anyone
    >in the last 50 years has come to emulating the classic movie serial,
    >warts and all. If you like serials, as silly as they can be, you'll
    >probably like "24".
    >
    >> A show about the happenings of a single day isn't plotted out before any
    >> words are written? That's just insane. I know, that's Hollywood.

    >It's not quite *that* bad. They generally plot out half-a-dozen eps
    >ahead. I seem to be in the minority, but I rather like it, as it keeps
    >things as unpredictable as real life is.

    Well, I like it too, but it can have drawbacks. For instance, last season
    there was utterly no reason for Jack to call the President before breaking
    the drug guy out of jail if he knew he was on a deep cover assignment to
    do that exact thing anyway. Or in the first season, why did the terrorists
    have Jack shoot Nina Meyers if they knew they were going to need her
    later?
    --

    The All-New, All-Different Howling Curmudgeons!
    http://www.whiterose.org/howlingcurmudgeons
    Michael Alan Chary, Feb 23, 2005