24 Season 1 & 2 comparison

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goldfinger, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Goldfinger

    Goldfinger Guest

    Just finished watching Season 2 this weekend and I just want to say I'm
    disappointed. And I'm not talking about how Bauer can sustain a wooden
    stake wound without limping for 2 seconds or a torture that's easily the
    most intense in TV history to date and be shooting at the "bad guys" minutes
    after being resuscitated back to life. Let's just compare season 1 & 2.

    Main plot: Assassination of the first black presidency candidate vs.
    terrorists planted a nuke in LA

    Comparing to the assassination plot, the terrorists plot clearly lacks
    ingenuity. You cannot throw a rock into a Blockbuster without hitting a
    video on terrorists targeting the good old America. Do we need more?

    In fact, we have seen so many terrorist movies that a man with half a brain
    will know that the bomb will not go off in LA in the end. There's no
    feeling of imminent danger unlike that in Season 1, which is what makes this
    series good. I don't have the same urge to watch season 2 episode after
    episode like I did with season 1.

    Subplot 1: Kim and Terrie are kidnapped vs. Kim wanders around stupid in LA

    What has Kim got to do with the plot in Season 2? In Season 1, at least you
    know getting the kidnappers of Kim and Terrie will lead you to the people
    who planned the assassination.

    LA and America are in danger and we are supposed to care about Kim and
    little Megan! Give me a break, Mr. Screen writer. Kim is a looker who has
    a nice rack but if I want more of that, I would just tune into the playboy
    channel instead.

    Subplot 2: The Mole vs. The Palace Coup

    I like the mole plot better even thought the palace coup plot is not too
    bad. But I just feel that the palace coup plot a little clichéd and
    contrived.

    Main Characters:

    The conflicts among various characters in season 1, Jack dating Nina, Tony
    vs. Jack, Tony vs. George Mason, Tony, Jack and Nina vs. Alberta Green,
    Sherry vs. David etc are realistic and believable.

    The season 2 conflict setup doesn't exhibit the same degree of fineness. It
    seems like season 2 just created an omnipotent higher power and everything
    just stems from there, like how Chappral orders Tony to focus on war plans
    instead of the audio tape.

    How to keep the series going:

    Only one suggestion - anything less than performing the first ever strip
    tease on network TVs, Kim has to go!

    Goldfinger, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Goldfinger

    rjacobs Guest

    x-no-archive: yes
    Goldfinger news:NEYdb.307640$

    > Just finished watching Season 2 this weekend and I just want to say I'm
    > disappointed.

    You have *very* high standards.

    rjacobs, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Goldfinger

    Bil Gonzalez Guest

    Re: 24 Season 1 & 2 comparison ******SPOILER ALERT **********

    ********SPOILER ALERT *******************

    "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    > How to keep the series going:
    >
    > Only one suggestion - anything less than performing the first ever strip
    > tease on network TVs, Kim has to go!

    I whole-heartedly agree. I found her subplot painful to watch in the first
    season, and even more so in the second. What they really need to do, now
    that she has killed someone, is have her train to become an agent.

    BTW, anyone else have the feeling that the writers wimped out on a lesbian
    subplot with Michelle/Carrie?

    -BG

    Bil Gonzalez, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Goldfinger

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Bil Gonzalez" <> wrote in message

    > I whole-heartedly agree. I found her subplot painful to watch in the

    first
    > season, and even more so in the second. What they really need to do, now
    > that she has killed someone, is have her train to become an agent.

    The 1st season subplot involving Kim and Terrie is part of the main plot.
    The 2nd season subplot has nothing to do with the show whatsoever. Still,
    we have been treated to the obligatory phone call from Kim to Jack, who's
    either shooting at someone, being shot by someone, piloting a plane in a
    suicide mission or stripped naked being tortured. Among all these, we are
    still supposed to care about Kim and her little Megan?

    > BTW, anyone else have the feeling that the writers wimped out on a lesbian
    > subplot with Michelle/Carrie?

    I don't sense any lesbian thing going on between Michelle and Carrie. It'll
    be interesting to see Michelle and Carrier play a power game in Season 3,
    though.

    Goldfinger, Sep 30, 2003
  5. Goldfinger

    jayembee Guest

    "Goldfinger" <> wrote:

    >"Bil Gonzalez" <> wrote:

    >> BTW, anyone else have the feeling that the writers wimped out on a lesbian
    >> subplot with Michelle/Carrie?

    >I don't sense any lesbian thing going on between Michelle and Carrie. It'll
    >be interesting to see Michelle and Carrier play a power game in Season 3,
    >though.

    Oh, I have to agree with Bill. Until the truth was revealed, I was
    absolutely convinced that the bad blood between them had to do with
    them having been ex-lovers, and that being why they didn't want to
    tell Tony.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Goldfinger

    Guest

    I only started to watch the show in the middle of the 2nd season. Was
    not impressed at all by a single plot (nuke) dragging on for the whole
    season. Only towards the last several episodes did the show really
    pick up a proper pace. Then came the impossible stamina and
    incredible bad luck of Jack....yet that still didn't compare with the
    excessive and tiresome use of the (supposedly heart-)pounding sound
    that brackets commerical breaks, as if they never have anything that's
    actually thrilling enough.

    I like the palace coup though. Too bad (according to spoliers) that
    the "toxic handshake" apparently was not toxic after all....

    Rick

    , Oct 1, 2003
  7. "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    > Just finished watching Season 2 this weekend and I just want to say I'm
    > disappointed. And I'm not talking about how Bauer can sustain a wooden
    > stake wound without limping for 2 seconds or a torture that's easily the
    > most intense in TV history to date and be shooting at the "bad guys"

    minutes
    > after being resuscitated back to life. Let's just compare season 1 & 2.
    >
    > Main plot: Assassination of the first black presidency candidate vs.
    > terrorists planted a nuke in LA
    >
    > Comparing to the assassination plot, the terrorists plot clearly lacks
    > ingenuity. You cannot throw a rock into a Blockbuster without hitting a
    > video on terrorists targeting the good old America. Do we need more?
    >
    > In fact, we have seen so many terrorist movies that a man with half a

    brain
    > will know that the bomb will not go off in LA in the end. There's no
    > feeling of imminent danger unlike that in Season 1, which is what makes

    this
    > series good. I don't have the same urge to watch season 2 episode after
    > episode like I did with season 1.
    >
    > Subplot 1: Kim and Terrie are kidnapped vs. Kim wanders around stupid in

    LA

    > What has Kim got to do with the plot in Season 2? In Season 1, at least

    you
    > know getting the kidnappers of Kim and Terrie will lead you to the people
    > who planned the assassination.
    >
    > LA and America are in danger and we are supposed to care about Kim and
    > little Megan! Give me a break, Mr. Screen writer. Kim is a looker who

    has
    > a nice rack but if I want more of that, I would just tune into the playboy
    > channel instead.
    >
    > Subplot 2: The Mole vs. The Palace Coup
    >
    > I like the mole plot better even thought the palace coup plot is not too
    > bad. But I just feel that the palace coup plot a little clichéd and
    > contrived.
    >
    > Main Characters:
    >
    > The conflicts among various characters in season 1, Jack dating Nina, Tony
    > vs. Jack, Tony vs. George Mason, Tony, Jack and Nina vs. Alberta Green,
    > Sherry vs. David etc are realistic and believable.
    >
    > The season 2 conflict setup doesn't exhibit the same degree of fineness.

    It
    > seems like season 2 just created an omnipotent higher power and everything
    > just stems from there, like how Chappral orders Tony to focus on war plans
    > instead of the audio tape.
    >
    > How to keep the series going:
    >
    > Only one suggestion - anything less than performing the first ever strip
    > tease on network TVs, Kim has to go!

    I actually liked the second season, but I think that it did suffer because
    it had to measure up to the first one. I thought the casting was excellent
    (Reiko Aylesworth and Michelle Forbes were my faves, and Franceso Quinn was
    great), but I think the story line really did stretch the limits of
    believability.

    I can't help wondering if the absence of Stephen Hopkins might've had
    something to do with it. The episodes he directed are the best of the
    series--taut, exciting and believable, certainly more so than some of this
    season's.

    All I can say, is that I hope they explain the entire bit with Mandy. I'd
    almost forgot about her, and it'll be interesting to hear what they have to
    say about her. Also, let's hope that now that Kim is working for CTU, there
    won't be anymore of the typical Kim storylines.

    Finally, I can't wait to see what they have Andrea Thompson doing this year.
    I've been missing her since she left "NYPD Blue."

    Lawrence Wilson, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Goldfinger

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Goldfinger, says...
    > Just finished watching Season 2 this weekend and I just want to say I'm
    > disappointed.

    I have to agree. Season 1 was phenomenal. I watched season 2 mostly on
    momentum, hoping it would get back to the quality of the first one. The
    entire Kim sub-plot was so annoying, I was sure the writers would
    eventually kill her off due to complaints from viewers. The first season
    was riveting. I couldn't take my eyes off it. Season 2, I flipped the
    channel every time Kim came on screen. Yeah, she's gorgeous, but every
    time she's on screen the story comes to a screeching halt.

    Season 3, if the rumors are true, will likely suck.

    Mark Spatny, Oct 4, 2003
  9. "Lawrence Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > I actually liked the second season, but I think that it did suffer because
    > it had to measure up to the first one. I thought the casting was excellent
    > (Reiko Aylesworth and Michelle Forbes were my faves, and Franceso Quinn

    was
    > great), but I think the story line really did stretch the limits of
    > believability.

    More than having a woman take a plane on the night before a major
    assassination attempt, so that she could shag a photographer, and snatch his
    ID without him noticing and then parachute out of the plane with no risk of
    anyone trying to stop her, or incurring an injury as the plane exploded, and
    then landing within a few hundred yards of her intended rendezvous?
    --
    Slartibartfast
    To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

    Slartibartfast, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Goldfinger

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Slartibartfast" <> wrote in message

    > More than having a woman take a plane on the night before a major
    > assassination attempt, so that she could shag a photographer, and snatch

    his
    > ID without him noticing and then parachute out of the plane with no risk

    of
    > anyone trying to stop her, or incurring an injury as the plane exploded,

    and
    > then landing within a few hundred yards of her intended rendezvous?

    TV shows are tv shows. Both plots of S1 and S2 are not believable but at
    least I am excited by the S1 plot.

    S2 plot just feels trite and old because we've seen it one thousand and one
    times before. There's no suspension in S2as you know the Reza/Warner family
    is involved somehow, and you know (who else?) a middle East terrorist group
    is involved. You know the bomb is in LA and you knwo LA will not be bombed.
    The only surpise left is how will it end.

    In S1, you don't know who plots the assissination, you don't know when and
    you don't know how. You don't even know how Kim and Terrie are involved.

    Goldfinger, Oct 6, 2003
  11. "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message

    > "Slartibartfast" <> wrote in

    message

    > > More than having a woman take a plane on the night before a major
    > > assassination attempt, so that she could shag a photographer, and

    snatch
    > his
    > > ID without him noticing and then parachute out of the plane with

    no risk
    > of
    > > anyone trying to stop her, or incurring an injury as the plane

    exploded,
    > and
    > > then landing within a few hundred yards of her intended

    rendezvous?

    > TV shows are tv shows. Both plots of S1 and S2 are not believable

    but at
    > least I am excited by the S1 plot.
    >
    > S2 plot just feels trite and old because we've seen it one thousand

    and one
    > times before. There's no suspension in S2as you know the

    Reza/Warner family
    > is involved somehow, and you know (who else?) a middle East

    terrorist group
    > is involved. You know the bomb is in LA and you knwo LA will not be

    bombed.
    > The only surpise left is how will it end.
    >
    > In S1, you don't know who plots the assissination, you don't know

    when and
    > you don't know how. You don't even know how Kim and Terrie are

    involved.

    I knew Drazen was alive 1 or 2hrs before we were told he was 'the
    prisoner'. But I do see your point that we knew LA was not going to be
    bombed 15hrs before it went off.

    Will Bradshaw, Oct 6, 2003
  12. Goldfinger

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Will Bradshaw" <> wrote in message

    > I knew Drazen was alive 1 or 2hrs before we were told he was 'the
    > prisoner'. But I do see your point that we knew LA was not going to be
    > bombed 15hrs before it went off.

    That's right. There's a lot of you-don't-know in S1 which is what kept me
    watching. In S2, much is known except how super agent Jack Bauer turned
    Superman is going to save the day.

    Goldfinger, Oct 6, 2003
  13. "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message

    > "Will Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I knew Drazen was alive 1 or 2hrs before we were told he was 'the
    > > prisoner'. But I do see your point that we knew LA was not going to be
    > > bombed 15hrs before it went off.

    > That's right. There's a lot of you-don't-know in S1 which is what kept me
    > watching. In S2, much is known except how super agent Jack Bauer turned
    > Superman is going to save the day.

    Very true. The main points in S2 were obvious even before they were
    revealed. However, the watching to see how everything was going to tie
    together made it worthwhile. What annoyed the hell out of me was how S2's
    "Kimplot" had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the show. It would
    have made a quaint movie-of-the-week, but it had no place in "24."

    Stephen Darnell, Oct 6, 2003
  14. Goldfinger

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Stephen Darnell" <> wrote in message

    > Very true. The main points in S2 were obvious even before they were
    > revealed. However, the watching to see how everything was going to tie
    > together made it worthwhile. What annoyed the hell out of me was how S2's
    > "Kimplot" had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the show. It

    would
    > have made a quaint movie-of-the-week, but it had no place in "24."

    Like I said before, LA and America are under siege and we are still supposed
    to care about Kim and her little Megan. How intelligent is that? And how
    intelligent is her obligatory phone call to Jack every hour asking for
    assisstance, for rid when Jack is being stripped naked and electrocuted?

    Don't hold your breath. Rumor has it that Kim will return in S3 and play a
    bigger role by working at CTU! Now just imagine how many dump things she
    will do now that she's actually an agent.

    Goldfinger, Oct 6, 2003
  15. "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    > Don't hold your breath. Rumor has it that Kim will return in S3 and

    play a
    > bigger role by working at CTU! Now just imagine how many dump

    things she
    > will do now that she's actually an agent.

    Perfect time to misspell dumb.

    Will Bradshaw, Oct 6, 2003
  16. Goldfinger

    James Nicoll Guest

    In article <NEYdb.307640$>,
    Goldfinger <> wrote:
    >Just finished watching Season 2 this weekend and I just want to say I'm
    >disappointed. And I'm not talking about how Bauer can sustain a wooden
    >stake wound without limping for 2 seconds or a torture that's easily the
    >most intense in TV history to date and be shooting at the "bad guys" minutes
    >after being resuscitated back to life. Let's just compare season 1 & 2.
    >
    >Main plot: Assassination of the first black presidency candidate vs.
    >terrorists planted a nuke in LA
    >
    >Comparing to the assassination plot, the terrorists plot clearly lacks
    >ingenuity. You cannot throw a rock into a Blockbuster without hitting a
    >video on terrorists targeting the good old America. Do we need more?
    >
    >In fact, we have seen so many terrorist movies that a man with half a brain
    >will know that the bomb will not go off in LA in the end.

    You may enjoy the old TV special, "Special Bulletin".

    What struck about S2 was that while we were apparently supposed
    to think of the President as a good guy, he seemed to be of quite dubious
    merit as a POTUS. I mean, we never saw the other party gunning for him but
    it didn't matter because half of his own cabinet were apparently poised to
    turn on him as soon as a crisis hit.

    --
    It's amazing how the waterdrops form: a ball of water with an air bubble
    inside it and inside of that one more bubble of water. It looks so beautiful

    James Nicoll, Oct 6, 2003
  17. Goldfinger

    rjacobs Guest

    x-no-archive: yes
    Goldfinger news:Dhggb.5588365$

    > "Slartibartfast" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> More than having a woman take a plane on the night before a major
    >> assassination attempt, so that she could shag a photographer, and snatch his
    >> ID without him noticing and then parachute out of the plane with no risk of
    >> anyone trying to stop her, or incurring an injury as the plane exploded, and
    >> then landing within a few hundred yards of her intended rendezvous?

    > TV shows are tv shows. Both plots of S1 and S2 are not believable but at
    > least I am excited by the S1 plot.
    >
    > S2 plot just feels trite and old because we've seen it one thousand and one
    > times before. There's no suspension in S2as you know the Reza/Warner family
    > is involved somehow, and you know (who else?) a middle East terrorist group
    > is involved. You know the bomb is in LA and you knwo LA will not be bombed.
    > The only surpise left is how will it end.
    >
    > In S1, you don't know who plots the assissination, you don't know when and
    > you don't know how. You don't even know how Kim and Terrie are involved.

    It's not always better not to know, y'know.

    rjacobs, Oct 7, 2003
  18. Goldfinger

    Floodie Guest

    "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message news:<NEYdb.307640$>...
    > Just finished watching Season 2 this weekend and I just want to say I'm
    > disappointed.

    I'm 18 hours into the second season and am having a really hard time
    staying interested. I just want it to be over. I'm not connected to
    any of the characters. I could basically care less what happens to any
    of them. I have stayed away from spoilers but now I don't even care.
    As this season unfolds I can see where they're taking me, so it's too
    predictable. In S1 I had no idea how the day would unfold and I was
    truly champing at the bit to watch the next episode. Now it feels like
    a film strip I have to finish for a school project. I'll finish it
    only so I won't feel like I wasted 18 hours of my life, but I'm not
    really into it.
    Too bad. It had potential.
    S3 doesn't look much better.

    Floodie, Oct 9, 2003