    24 pin connector? What is the difference between the two connectors ( 24 -
    20 ) ?
    Many thanks
    Molecule, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Molecule

    Vanguard Guest

    "Molecule" <> wrote in message news:vM7Md.266$...
    > Got a new motherboard with 24 pin socket, do I definitely need a psu with
    > 24 pin connector? What is the difference between the two connectors ( 24 -
    > 20 ) ?

    When you buy an extension cord, it is rated for a maximum current flow (amps). Same for the foils on the motherboard, so the 4-pin connector provides additional current.

    http://www.formfactors.org/FFDetail.asp?FFID=1&CatID=2

    If instead of the 20-pin + 4-pin ATX connector setup you are instead asking why the 20-pin connector changed to 24 pins, see section 1.2.3 of the first document listed at the above link.

    Yes, you will need a PSU with a 24-pin connector. The 20-pin PSU connector mignt not even slide onto the 24-pin mobo connector. So, do you have a PCI-Express motherboard?

    Vanguard, Feb 2, 2005