    You seem to know about partition magic, help me.
    I can see an extended partion on my hdd. how do i make it have a drive
    letter? or just get the data back?
    David, Apr 8, 2004

  2. David

    Guest

    if you just partition your harddisk, the drive letter will not appear. you
    have to format it next.

    "David" <> дÈëÓʼþ
    > You seem to know about partition magic, help me.
    > I can see an extended partion on my hdd. how do i make it have a drive
    > letter? or just get the data back?

    , Apr 8, 2004

  3. David

    Guest

    format the partition.

    "David" <> дÈëÓʼþ
    > You seem to know about partition magic, help me.
    > I can see an extended partion on my hdd. how do i make it have a drive
    > letter? or just get the data back?

    , Apr 8, 2004
  4. David

    JabberSmith Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > You seem to know about partition magic, help me.
    > I can see an extended partion on my hdd. how do i make it have a drive
    > letter? or just get the data back?

    Partition magic will indeed allow you to see an extended partition.

    It shouldn't, under normal circomstances damage any data. (Unless you delete
    partitions.)

    Though, the "get the data back" phrase there hints you have other issues.
    You should post more detail.

    Also note, this is a worldwide newsgroup, similar to a big wall of grafitti
    in real life. Nobody runs it, "you" is a whole lot of people here.
    JabberSmith, Apr 8, 2004
  5. David

    David Guest

    More on my problem

    My computer was running fine. Win 98, c drive = 60Gig , d drive = 30 Gig
    hdd, both Western Digital.
    After a recent startup, d drive was no longer visible.
    I can see an "extended partition" using fdisk; fdisk says there are no
    drives assigned..
    The drive passes all of the "Data LifeGard" tests.
    I just want some of the data back.

    David, Apr 8, 2004
  6. David wrote:

    > You seem to know about partition magic, help me.
    > I can see an extended partion on my hdd. how do i make it have a drive
    > letter? or just get the data back?

    While you may get the answers you need, here, you'll generally do
    better by putting the subject of your inquiry in the...well, you know,
    in the Subject field.

    No real need to put the group name in there -- that's not exactly
    unknown, here.

    Click me: http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/index.html

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Re: More on my problem

    David wrote:

    > My computer was running fine. Win 98, c drive = 60Gig , d drive = 30 Gig
    > hdd, both Western Digital.
    > After a recent startup, d drive was no longer visible.
    > I can see an "extended partition" using fdisk; fdisk says there are no
    > drives assigned..
    > The drive passes all of the "Data LifeGard" tests.
    > I just want some of the data back.

    While you may get the answers you need, here, you'll generally do
    better by putting the subject of your inquiry in the...well, you know,
    in the Subject field.

    And "More on my Problem" is no more specific. This has been mentioned before.
    Have you a reading comprehension problem?

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2004
  8. David

    Plato Guest

    Re: More on my problem

    David wrote:

    > I just want some of the data back.

    Then use the backup you made. All PC users know that they have to backup
    their data eh?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 8, 2004
  9. David

    moses Guest

    Re: More on my problem

    Plato:
    A few years ago you would have ripped this poster to bits.
    I guess you have mellowed a bit. Sarcasm is easier eh?

    moses, Apr 8, 2004
  10. David

    PuddleNuts Guest

    Re: More on my problem

    David wrote:

    > My computer was running fine. Win 98, c drive = 60Gig , d drive = 30 Gig
    > hdd, both Western Digital.
    > After a recent startup, d drive was no longer visible.
    > I can see an "extended partition" using fdisk; fdisk says there are no
    > drives assigned..
    > The drive passes all of the "Data LifeGard" tests.
    > I just want some of the data back.

    Why didn't you assign it a drive letter while you were in Fdisk?

    --
    Your proctologist called, they found your head.
    PuddleNuts, Apr 8, 2004
  11. David

    Palindrome Guest

    <piggyback>
    wrote:

    > if you just partition your harddisk, the drive letter will not appear. you
    > have to format it next.
    >
    > "David" <> дÈëÓʼþ
    >
    >>You seem to know about partition magic, help me.
    >>I can see an extended partion on my hdd. how do i make it have a drive
    >>letter? or just get the data back?

    If you HAD a formatted volume in your extended partition and it has now
    disappeared, you need to either use a tool like ptedit to recreate the
    partition table or for the less expert, use a utility like "lost&found"
    to recover the original volume. If you create a new volume in the
    extended partition there is a high risk that you will make it harder to
    recover the original volume.
    Palindrome, Apr 8, 2004
  12. David

    Boomer Guest

    What if it's the recovery partition for his OS, ****-knuckle?
    Boomer, Apr 9, 2004
  13. David

    M Guest

    If you set the partition as 'Active' see under Operations menu, then
    Advanced. When you reboot the partition should become visible and have a
    drive letter allocated.

    M, Apr 9, 2004
  14. David

    fuctifino Guest

    try a recovery disk that recovers partitions ? I thought if they whernt
    wrote over it was possible to recover stuff,
    .. maybe im wrong but its worth checking out before checking out as it were.

    fuctifino, Apr 11, 2004