    Maybe Tony Wilson personally thinks highly of Ryder but I think the
    director has the responsibility to balance things out.
    , Feb 28, 2004

  2. Haans Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    < snip >
    > And to say Ryder is the best poet after Yeat is simply blasphemous.
    > Maybe Tony Wilson personally thinks highly of Ryder but I think the
    > director has the responsibility to balance things out.

    Why? I always thought that was Tony Wilson on the screen telling the story?
    Am I mistaken? I can not recall this being a film about Michael Winterbottom
    and his views on Yeats and Ryder. Besides, he may think Ryder is great
    himself.

    Thing is, the directors "responsibility" isn't to balance anything out.
    Especially not in a fairy-tale, which 24HPP essentially was. Based on true
    events, but not exactly a neutral history-lesson, do you think? ;)
    Haans, Feb 28, 2004

  3. Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:37:29 +0100, "Haans"
    <> wrote:

    >Why? I always thought that was Tony Wilson on the screen telling the story?
    >Am I mistaken? I can not recall this being a film about Michael Winterbottom
    >and his views on Yeats and Ryder. Besides, he may think Ryder is great
    >himself.
    >
    >Thing is, the directors "responsibility" isn't to balance anything out.
    >Especially not in a fairy-tale, which 24HPP essentially was. Based on true
    >events, but not exactly a neutral history-lesson, do you think? ;)

    I can see your point but if someone made a film about Gastapo telling
    people that Hilter is the kindest human being on earth, how relevant
    would that be?

    I can stand the any unreasonable glorification of Ian Curtis because
    he died young and is now almost a mythical figure in the circuit. But
    Ryder was essentially the class clown of the scene back then, capable
    of making the Liam brothers looking like model citizens.

    Maybe it's like Wilson said, he always wanted to discover his own band
    and the Mondays were his own band.
    , Feb 28, 2004
  4. Mike McGee Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Like a time travel machine that brings me back to my youth, I was
    > swept away by this film. However, I do have one big problem with the
    > film in that it unreasonably elevates Happy Mondays to the status of
    > Joy Division.
    >
    > I, personally, have bought only one Happy Mondays' albumn after
    > hearing them in a club. And in a club is where their music should be
    > played because albeit the catchy tunes and grooves, they are quite
    > repeatitive.
    >
    > And to say Ryder is the best poet after Yeat is simply blasphemous.
    > Maybe Tony Wilson personally thinks highly of Ryder but I think the
    > director has the responsibility to balance things out.

    I got two things out of this film:

    1. How Earth can you talk about the music scene in Manchester without
    mentioning anything about the only band that mattered - THE SMITHS. Ok,
    there's one very quick line at the end which has him saying hw should
    have signed the Smiths, but that was it. Weak.

    2. Tony Wilson is a spitting image of Jerry Springer. ;) He is, check
    the extras!

    --
    Mike McGee
    Mike McGee, Mar 1, 2004