    regards

    --
    Don From Down Under

    Don, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Don

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Don writes ...
    >
    >Currently shooting the odd wedding with a 28 - 135 IS
    >canon lens on a 1D mk11n along with a 70 - 200 F4 L
    >and a 17 - 40 F4 L. Not happy with the 28 in comparison
    >to the other two lenses used for weddings so am pondering
    >on the 24 - 70 2.8 L (non IS) or the 24 - 105 IS L F4. Can
    >only afford one of the two and am leaning to the 24 - 70 for
    >the bokeh and ability to narrow the DOF.

    I have the older 28-70 f/2.8 L (not 24-70 but close) and a few months
    ago I bought the 24-105 f/4 L IS, mainly to take on a safari to Africa
    where I thought the greater focal range and IS would be very useful ...
    all I can say is that I like the 24-105 much better and am selling off
    the 28-70 soon. I like it better because of the extra focal length and
    because IS is so handy, even in a relatively short lens. Both are fine
    optically.

    >I like external portraits that show
    >good bokeh and blurred background etc.

    Ah, so it boils down to the extra f/stop ... I'm not so sure that at
    105 mm f/4 you wouldn't get about the same blur as you would at 70 mm
    f/2.8 ... I would personally use an 85 mm f/1.8 for the blurred
    background, I don't think at 70 mm and f/2.8 you'll get enough of a
    blur unless the background is well back from the main subject, though I
    could be wrong. You lose the zoom but the 85 f/1.8 is a relatively
    inexpensive lens with good optics. We've done entire trips to Mexico
    where all we took was this and a 35 mm f/2, where we had to travel
    light and be inconspicuous.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Don

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > I have both these lenses and they are both excellent. There appear to be
    > only two reasons for needing f2.8, to get less DOF and to use a higher
    > shutter speed on moving objects. I assume the second rarely applies at
    > weddings. I used to have a book givinf table s of DOF at various focal
    > lengths and apetures - I no longer have it but I bet there's a chart on
    > the net somewhere.

    There's one here http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

    It suggests that the DOF of a 70mm at f2.8 is very similar to an 85mm at
    f4. The 24 - 105 can do the DOF job you probably need for weddings.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Don

    Don Guest