    Any other advice on travelling with DSLRs appreciated...

    Thanks,
    irax.
    Iraxl Enb, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Iraxl Enb wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I will be going to India in the early part of next
    > year, and hope to buy one of the Canon DSLRs before
    > that. The chargers for the batteries in the kits are
    > all 110V, anyone know if those can be used at 220V with
    > a plug adapter? Or do I need a different charger, and
    > are those available in the US?
    >
    > Any other advice on travelling with DSLRs appreciated...

    Strange. My charger (DS8101) supplied with the 20D says 100-240 V, 50-60Hz

    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Iraxl Enb

    Celcius Guest

    Are you sure?
    All the Canon cameras I had (3 of them in fact), with proprietary batteries
    were good for 110 /220. See the reverse side of your charger. I would be
    surprised if it weren't..
    Marcel

    Celcius, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Iraxl Enb

    GOPISH TOO Guest

    Read the back of your charger

    Mine says input 100v - 240v AC 50/60 hz

    USA and Canada are 110v 60 hz

    Most European countries are 220v 50 hz

    All you need is an adapter for the plug (from flat to probably pin) and
    away you go the charger will work

    GOPISH TOO, Oct 20, 2005
  5. Iraxl Enb

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <dj8ehf$>,
    Iraxl Enb <> wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >I will be going to India in the early part of next
    >year, and hope to buy one of the Canon DSLRs before
    >that. The chargers for the batteries in the kits are
    >all 110V, anyone know if those can be used at 220V with
    >a plug adapter? Or do I need a different charger, and
    >are those available in the US?

    As others have said, your charger should be multi-voltage anyway. When I was
    in India, BTW, they supposedly conformed to the British 240V standard, not
    220, but in reality the voltage seemed to fluctuate all over the place.
    Chris Brown, Oct 20, 2005
  6. In article <>, Chris Brown
    <_uce_please.com> writes
    >In article <dj8ehf$>,
    >Iraxl Enb <> wrote:
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>I will be going to India in the early part of next
    >>year, and hope to buy one of the Canon DSLRs before
    >>that. The chargers for the batteries in the kits are
    >>all 110V, anyone know if those can be used at 220V with
    >>a plug adapter? Or do I need a different charger, and
    >>are those available in the US?

    >As others have said, your charger should be multi-voltage anyway. When I was
    >in India, BTW, they supposedly conformed to the British 240V standard, not
    >220, but in reality the voltage seemed to fluctuate all over the place.

    Actually the UK standard was IIRC reduced to 230V a few years ago as
    part of an EU standardisation process. This had no detectable effect for
    most things.

    David
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Oct 20, 2005
  7. Iraxl Enb

    Iraxl Enb Guest

    Thanks for the responses! I dont actually have the
    camera yet, I was trying to find out before I bought
    one that used a proprietary battery...

    Irax.

    Iraxl Enb, Oct 20, 2005
  8. Jørn Dahl-Stamnes <> writes:

    > Iraxl Enb wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I will be going to India in the early part of next
    >> year, and hope to buy one of the Canon DSLRs before
    >> that. The chargers for the batteries in the kits are
    >> all 110V, anyone know if those can be used at 220V with
    >> a plug adapter? Or do I need a different charger, and
    >> are those available in the US?
    >>
    >> Any other advice on travelling with DSLRs appreciated...

    > Strange. My charger (DS8101) supplied with the 20D says 100-240 V, 50-60Hz

    I got a CB-2LTE charger with my 350D. It is also rated 100-240 V. It
    also came with both British and Euro-style power cords.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Oct 20, 2005
  9. Iraxl Enb

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    David Littlewood <> wrote:
    >In article <>, Chris Brown
    ><_uce_please.com> writes
    >>In article <dj8ehf$>,
    >>Iraxl Enb <> wrote:
    >>>Hi All,
    >>>
    >>>I will be going to India in the early part of next
    >>>year, and hope to buy one of the Canon DSLRs before
    >>>that. The chargers for the batteries in the kits are
    >>>all 110V, anyone know if those can be used at 220V with
    >>>a plug adapter? Or do I need a different charger, and
    >>>are those available in the US?

    >>As others have said, your charger should be multi-voltage anyway. When I was
    >>in India, BTW, they supposedly conformed to the British 240V standard, not
    >>220, but in reality the voltage seemed to fluctuate all over the place.

    >Actually the UK standard was IIRC reduced to 230V a few years ago as
    >part of an EU standardisation process. This had no detectable effect for
    >most things.

    All they did was change the permitted range to allow 240 volts to fall
    within the allowed tolerance. There wasn't an actual change to the voltage.
    Chris Brown, Oct 20, 2005
  10. Chris Brown <_uce_please.com> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > David Littlewood <> wrote:
    >>In article <>, Chris Brown
    >><_uce_please.com> writes

    >>>As others have said, your charger should be multi-voltage
    >>>anyway. When I was in India, BTW, they supposedly conformed to the
    >>>British 240V standard, not 220, but in reality the voltage seemed
    >>>to fluctuate all over the place.

    >>Actually the UK standard was IIRC reduced to 230V a few years ago as
    >>part of an EU standardisation process. This had no detectable effect
    >>for most things.

    > All they did was change the permitted range to allow 240 volts to
    > fall within the allowed tolerance. There wasn't an actual change to
    > the voltage.

    Probably at about the same time, Sweden changed from a nominal 220V to
    230V, with an allowed range of 215-245V. The increased voltage made
    light bulbs burn out somewhat quicker than they used to.

    In case anyone wonders, the mains voltage does vary quite a bit. The
    frequency has much tighter tolerances.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Oct 20, 2005
  11. Iraxl Enb

    Guest Guest

    Iraxl> Hi All,
    Iraxl> I will be going to India in the early part of next year, and hope to
    Iraxl> buy one of the Canon DSLRs before that. The chargers for the
    Iraxl> batteries in the kits are all 110V, anyone know if those can be used
    Iraxl> at 220V with a plug adapter? Or do I need a different charger, and
    Iraxl> are those available in the US?

    All you need is a plug adaptor, at least with
    the two Canon chargers I have. Read the fine
    print on the charger, should say 100-220.

    Just charges faster...

    Iraxl> Any other advice on travelling with DSLRs appreciated...

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in rec.photo.digital...)
    Guest, Oct 20, 2005
  12. Iraxl Enb

    Anabella M. Guest

    hmmm, let's see...

    Don't forget it at home before you leave for the airport. (Don't laugh,
    it happened to me.)
    Don't lose sight of it at the airport security check.
    Don't leave it in the taxi.(It also happened to me, I was lucky that the
    tuk-tuk driver was honest!)
    Plan for plenty of storage media and backup.

    just my 2 cents..... {{{{{peace}}}}} ... Anabella :)

    Anabella M., Oct 21, 2005