20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Throw Icebreaker From The Train, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
    Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
    Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
    anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
    announces that they're coming out with a newer version.

    When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
    dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
    film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
    That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the January
    release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th Century Fox
    announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with versions already
    released earlier in the year. This comes on the heels of double-dipping with
    Day After Tomorrow, Dodgeball, and I Robot.

    This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case. I can
    see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to release two
    completely different versions of a movie in the same year? I can't even get
    Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son of the Beach onto dvd,
    and Volume One came out 2 years ago.

    I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy this
    new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because I am now too
    savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap. I'm willing to be a little
    more patient and bet on Warners issuing a ultra-brand-new box set in Fall of
    2006 when Superman Returns in released on dvd. Same with Mr.and Mrs. Smith.
    Since FOX is double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll just wait for
    May of 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest version of 'Smith'.
    I've been burned by FOX too many times now.

    --

    -------------------------------------
    Icebreaker

    Throw Icebreaker From The Train, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    kaydigi Guest

    "Throw Icebreaker From The Train" <> wrote in message
    > You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
    > Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
    > Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
    > anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
    > announces that they're coming out with a newer version.
    >
    > When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
    > dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
    > film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
    > That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the
    > January release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th
    > Century Fox announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with
    > versions already released earlier in the year. This comes on the heels of
    > double-dipping with Day After Tomorrow, Dodgeball, and I Robot.
    >
    > This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case. I
    > can see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to release
    > two completely different versions of a movie in the same year? I can't
    > even get Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son of the Beach
    > onto dvd, and Volume One came out 2 years ago.
    >
    > I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
    > this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because I am now
    > too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap. I'm willing to be a
    > little more patient and bet on Warners issuing a ultra-brand-new box set
    > in Fall of 2006 when Superman Returns in released on dvd. Same with Mr.and
    > Mrs. Smith. Since FOX is double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll
    > just wait for May of 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest
    > version of 'Smith'. I've been burned by FOX too many times now.
    >
    > --

    What were the new changes in I Robot? You should have known there was a
    double dip for AvP coming, that movie just screams 3 time release.

    kaydigi, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    Goro Guest

    Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

    Throw Icebreaker From The Train wrote:
    > You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
    > Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
    > Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
    > anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
    > announces that they're coming out with a newer version.
    >
    > When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
    > dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
    > film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
    > That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the January
    > release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th Century Fox
    > announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with versions already
    > released earlier in the year. This comes on the heels of double-dipping with
    > Day After Tomorrow, Dodgeball, and I Robot.
    >
    > This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case. I can
    > see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to release two
    > completely different versions of a movie in the same year? I can't even get
    > Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son of the Beach onto dvd,
    > and Volume One came out 2 years ago.
    >
    > I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy this
    > new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because I am now too
    > savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap. I'm willing to be a little
    > more patient and bet on Warners issuing a ultra-brand-new box set in Fall of
    > 2006 when Superman Returns in released on dvd. Same with Mr.and Mrs. Smith.
    > Since FOX is double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll just wait for
    > May of 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest version of 'Smith'.
    > I've been burned by FOX too many times now.

    and they wonder why Customers download/ripp DVDs.

    -goro-

    Goro, Aug 6, 2005
  4. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    manitou Guest

    Throw Icebreaker From The Train wrote:

    > You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
    > Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
    > Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
    > anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
    > announces that they're coming out with a newer version.
    >
    > When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
    > dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
    > film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
    > That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the January
    > release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th Century Fox
    > announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with versions already
    > released earlier in the year. This comes on the heels of double-dipping with
    > Day After Tomorrow, Dodgeball, and I Robot.
    >
    > This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case. I can
    > see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to release two
    > completely different versions of a movie in the same year? I can't even get
    > Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son of the Beach onto dvd,
    > and Volume One came out 2 years ago.
    >
    > I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy this
    > new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because I am now too
    > savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap. I'm willing to be a little
    > more patient and bet on Warners issuing a ultra-brand-new box set in Fall of
    > 2006 when Superman Returns in released on dvd. Same with Mr.and Mrs. Smith.
    > Since FOX is double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll just wait for
    > May of 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest version of 'Smith'.
    > I've been burned by FOX too many times now.

    Don't forget they'll be rereleasing everything in Blu-Ray by this time
    next year.

    C.

    manitou, Aug 6, 2005
  5. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    BTR1701 Guest

    In article <kdWIe.2446$>, "Throw Icebreaker From The
    Train" <> wrote:

    > I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
    > this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
    > I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

    Congratulations. You just grew up and realized that you don't have to
    buy everything they put on the shelves.

    They offer it for sale. You can always say no.

    BTR1701, Aug 6, 2005
  6. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    jmc Guest

    > You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
    > Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
    > Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
    > anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
    > announces that they're coming out with a newer version.

    If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and are
    only there to make rich cunts richer, you get everything you deserve with
    nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I fucking Robot, why don't
    you get some taste?

    jmc, Aug 6, 2005
  7. "jmc" <> wrote in message

    > "Throw Icebreaker From The Train" <> wrote in

    message
    > > You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
    > > Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
    > > Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
    > > anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it,

    FOX
    > > announces that they're coming out with a newer version.
    > >

    > If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

    are
    > only there to make rich c___s richer, you get everything you deserve with
    > nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I fucking Robot, why don't
    > you get some taste?

    His taste is a little lacking, but that doesn't change the validity of his
    point.

    What's that old saying? First they came for the homosexuals, but I didn't
    object because I wasn't a homosexual. Then they came for the Jews, but I
    didn't object, because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the tasteless
    consumers, but I didn't object, because I wasn't a tasteless consumer. Then
    they came for me, and there was nobody left to object.

    The Man With No Name, Aug 6, 2005
  8. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    Guest

    Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

    They have simply learned from George Lucas that you can double your
    profits by getting people to buy the DVD when it is first released,
    then after everybody has purchased it, getting them to buy a "Special
    Edition" a year or two later. Think about it, the real hardcore Star
    Wars fans have purchased the original three films on VHS when they came
    out (many of them already had them on bootleg videos or taped from
    cable), then bought them again when the Special Editions came out in
    1997, and again when they come out on DVD.

    , Aug 6, 2005
  9. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    Mark Jones Guest

    "jmc" <> wrote in message
    > If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

    are
    > only there to make rich cunts richer, you get everything you deserve with
    > nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I fucking Robot, why don't
    > you get some taste?

    I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
    that would cure insomnia.

    Mark Jones, Aug 6, 2005
  10. Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

    <> wrote in message
    > They have simply learned from George Lucas that you can double your
    > profits by getting people to buy the DVD when it is first released,
    > then after everybody has purchased it, getting them to buy a "Special
    > Edition" a year or two later. Think about it, the real hardcore Star
    > Wars fans have purchased the original three films on VHS when they came
    > out (many of them already had them on bootleg videos or taped from
    > cable), then bought them again when the Special Editions came out in
    > 1997, and again when they come out on DVD.

    A couple of slight differences, though. Since VHS can't compare to DVD, i'm
    not faulting 20thCentury for releasing the films on dvd. But I look at it
    like this: in the "early days" of the format, studios just dumped a movie
    onto a disc and released it, without anything special for the movie fan,
    because the market was untested. I get it. Fast forward from 1996 to 2005.
    Some of those dumped titles, such as Batman Returns, are getting the full
    treatment in an upcoming Batman Anthology box set (October 18th). *THAT* I
    can live with because a) the span of time has been great and b) there is no
    comparison between Warner's first release of Batman onto dvd and what they
    are now releasing. The markup in quality is tremendous. What has annoyed me,
    but ultimately educated me, are the extreme practices of 20th Century Fox.
    You've got at least four Fox films from 2004 that have been re-released on
    dvd in less than 6 months from their initial dvd release. At least with New
    Line (?), they let their LOTR fans know when each film made its first dvd
    premiere that an even better and longer version of each film would be
    released a few months later. In other words, they INFORMED their clients.

    A few weeks ago an article began circulating (maybe from the WSJ or NYT)
    that commented on how dvd sales have "supposedly" slipped (in other words,
    Shrek 2 and The Incredibles only sold 50 million copies instead of 60
    million). Assuming that article is true, I think we've found at least one
    legitimate reason why. Maybe two. Consumers have been burned, a few are
    starting to anticipate such double-dipping policies, or tie-ins with
    upcoming releases.

    When I saw the Batman Legacy box set on sale for 29.99, I knew Warner
    Brothers was coming out with a new box set for Batman very soon. I see
    Warners is also re-releasing the Superman Collection at a discounted price.
    What that tells me is that they're going to do something next year to tie
    into the release of Superman Returns (hopefully they'll do an honesty
    commentary on Superman III and Superman IV and get the producers, director,
    or guest commentators to mention how utterly worthless and cheap the film
    is). So even though I need a fresh copy of Superman, i'm waiting until Fall
    2006.

    -------------------------------------

    Throw Icebreaker From The Train, Aug 6, 2005
  11. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    Tarkus Guest

    On 8/6/2005 12:33:17 AM, BTR1701 wrote:

    > In article <kdWIe.2446$>, "Throw Icebreaker From The
    > Train" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
    >> this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
    >> I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

    > Congratulations. You just grew up and realized that you don't have to
    > buy everything they put on the shelves.
    >
    > They offer it for sale. You can always say no.

    Thank you.
    --
    "The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other
    people feel WORSE, and making a few bucks while you're at it."

    Now playing: "King's X - Burning Down"

    Tarkus, Aug 6, 2005
  12. Throw Icebreaker From The Train wrote:
    > You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
    > Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want

    No, I just blame you for having such bad taste in movies.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 6, 2005
  13. jmc wrote:

    > If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and are
    > only there to make rich cunts richer, you get everything you deserve with
    > nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I fucking Robot, why don't
    > you get some taste?

    Could have said it better m'self.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 6, 2005
  14. Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

    Throw Icebreaker From The Train wrote:

    > You've got at least four Fox films from 2004 that have been re-released on
    > dvd in less than 6 months from their initial dvd release.

    They're anxious to pump up sagging revenues (or at least revenues they
    view as sagging; if they're not making truckloads of money with each and
    every release they get all panicky). Cable and overseas and everything
    else is saturated. Most people who are expected to buy DVD players have
    already bought DVD players, so they can't count on new people buying
    DVDs; therefore, the only trick left is to sell to the existing
    customers over and over.

    You have a weapon to combat them. It's called patience. As you say,
    these releases come on the heels of each other. So wait three to six
    months before you run out and buy the DVD. Problem solved. In the
    meantime, you could go rent some DVDs made before there were digital
    special effects, when screenwriters had to write dialogue and create
    things called characters. You'd discover a whole new world, one that
    offers more thrills than an XBox game. As for the greedy studios, they
    only do crap like this because people like you make it profitable.

    Remember, you're not a helpless consumer. You can persuade or dissuade
    with your wallet and your feet.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 6, 2005
  15. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    Justin Guest

    Mark Jones wrote on [Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:16:02 GMT]:
    > "jmc" <> wrote in message
    >> If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

    > are
    >> only there to make rich cunts richer, you get everything you deserve with
    >> nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I fucking Robot, why don't
    >> you get some taste?

    > I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
    > that would cure insomnia.

    Like iRobot

    Justin, Aug 6, 2005
  16. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Jones wrote on [Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:16:02 GMT]:
    > > "jmc" <> wrote in message
    > >> If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

    > > are
    > >> only there to make rich cunts richer, you get everything you deserve

    with
    > >> nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I fucking Robot, why

    don't
    > >> you get some taste?

    > > I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
    > > that would cure insomnia.

    > Like iRobot

    Not even close. I just watched it again this morning, after reading
    this thread, and it wasn't too bad.

    Mark Jones, Aug 6, 2005
  17. "Mark Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "jmc" <> wrote in message
    > > If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

    > are
    > > only there to make rich cunts richer, you get everything you deserve

    with
    > > nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I fucking Robot, why

    don't
    > > you get some taste?

    > I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
    > that would cure insomnia.

    Now that sounds genuinely tasteless.
    Of course the great movies are going to be boring, if you haven't the
    intellect to appreciate them.
    I don't speak Spanish, so I'm sure that if I read an untranslated copy of
    Don Quixote, I'd probably find it boring. That doesn't mean it's a bad book.

    Similarly, you probably can't appreciate anything more than action-scenes,
    and the lowest forms of humor. So, if you were to watch something as
    thematically rich and mesmerising as 'Solaris,' you'd completely miss
    everything that makes the film great.

    The Man With No Name, Aug 6, 2005
  18. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    Invid Fan Guest

    Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

    In article <>, The Man Behind The
    Curtain <> wrote:

    > You have a weapon to combat them. It's called patience. As you say,
    > these releases come on the heels of each other. So wait three to six
    > months before you run out and buy the DVD. Problem solved. In the
    > meantime, you could go rent some DVDs made before there were digital
    > special effects, when screenwriters had to write dialogue and create
    > things called characters. You'd discover a whole new world, one that
    > offers more thrills than an XBox game. As for the greedy studios, they
    > only do crap like this because people like you make it profitable.
    >
    > Remember, you're not a helpless consumer. You can persuade or dissuade
    > with your wallet and your feet.

    There are other factors here. As I understand it dvd sales are
    currently very front loaded: everyone buys a copy the first week, when
    stores have it on sale, then sales drop to almost nothing. This is
    causing stores to then stop stocking titles, particularly minor ones,
    as there's no point. The anime market is hurting due to this as many
    small titles need word of mouth to reach their market and profits from
    early volumes fund the later ones. Not buying when a show first comes
    out can cause the cancelation of the rest. When it comes to the major
    studios, re-releasing an "improved" version can be considered just a
    way to again get the title in Best Buy's ad and stocked in quanity.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Aug 6, 2005
  19. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    Mark Steese Guest

    > You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
    > Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
    > Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not
    > hearing anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of
    > buying it, FOX announces that they're coming out with a newer version.

    Perhaps you should've rented?

    > When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch
    > on dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the
    > complete film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it
    > into the movie. That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming
    > out after the January release. Yet that is exactly what we are
    > getting.

    According to the IMDb, the Extended Version "simply adds a 2 minute
    intro before the credits. It shows the whaling station in 1904, and a
    whaler is being chased. He enters a building and tries to hide, only for
    a Predator to de-cloak in front of him. As the camera cuts to the
    'Predator vision' though, it is clear that the hunter is chasing an
    Alien in the same room, which lunges at the camera. The movie then cuts
    to the opening titles and proceeds from there like the theatrical
    version." (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0370263/alternateversions)

    Since the scene evidently had the benefit of complete post-production
    work, it would surprise me if Fox cut it from the theatrical print
    without Anderson's knowledge so they could 'restore' it to the DVD.

    > This week 20th Century Fox announces another edition of AvP &
    > Elektra, to go with versions already released earlier in the year.

    It's hard to sympathize with anyone who got burned because they already
    bought a copy of either "Alien vs. Predator" or "Elektra."

    > This comes on the heels of double-dipping with Day After Tomorrow,
    > Dodgeball, and I Robot.
    >
    > This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case.
    > I can see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to
    > release two completely different versions of a movie in the same year?

    You realize that it's all the fault of "Lord of the Rings," right? New
    Line raked in a ton of cash by releasing the plain-vanilla theatrical
    versions on DVD and then the extended versions a few months later. Other
    studios began imitating the practice. Big shock. And instead of creating
    substantially different versions by adding in tons of extra footage that
    was deleted for time considerations (like the "Rings" movies), other
    studios tack on a few minutes of extra scenes that should've been left
    on the cutting room floor. Even bigger shock.

    > I can't even get Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son
    > of the Beach onto dvd, and Volume One came out 2 years ago.

    Well, you have to balance your need for more "Son of the Beach" DVDs
    against God's threatening everyone at Fox with eternal damnation just
    for releasing the first batch.

    > I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to
    > buy this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
    > I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

    Given that you've just stated your desire to get more "Son of the
    Beach" DVDs, you'll have to excuse a slight bit of skepticism with
    regard to the whole 'savvy consumer' business.

    > I'm willing to be a little more patient and bet on Warners issuing a
    > ultra-brand-new box set in Fall of 2006 when Superman Returns in
    > released on dvd. Same with Mr.and Mrs. Smith. Since FOX is
    > double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll just wait for May of
    > 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest version of 'Smith'.
    > I've been burned by FOX too many times now.

    Seriously, try renting. I hear Netflix is all the rage these days.
    --
    Mark Steese
    unscramble and underscore to email

    Mark Steese, Aug 6, 2005
  20. Throw Icebreaker From The Train

    timeOday Guest

    BTR1701 wrote:
    > In article <kdWIe.2446$>, "Throw Icebreaker From The
    > Train" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
    >>this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
    >>I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

    > Congratulations. You just grew up and realized that you don't have to
    > buy everything they put on the shelves.
    >
    > They offer it for sale. You can always say no.

    I think that's exactly what he's saying - people, DON'T indulge these
    companies by playing their stupid games. Since one consumer's buying
    habits can't change anything, spreading the word on Usenet is a good way
    to hopefully get things changed faster.

    timeOday, Aug 6, 2005