    angle capability?

    Thank you for any assistance.

    Robert

    Robert, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Robert

    PhotoMan Guest

    Robert wrote:
    > I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
    > about to buy a 20D.
    >
    > I understand that the wide angle capacity on a 20D will be 45+mm for
    > the 28-85mm lens.
    >
    > Are these lenses optically worth keeping?
    >
    > If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
    > angle capability?
    >
    > Thank you for any assistance.
    >
    > Robert

    If you buy the 20D with the 18-55mm kit lens, it will give you the
    equivalent of 29-88mm, very close to what you get with the 28-85mm on film.
    The 18-55 kit lens adds only $100 to the body-only cost and does a pretty
    decent job, especially considering the price.

    PhotoMan, Nov 19, 2004

  3. I have a 20D and the 28-85 Canon lens as well as the kit lens. The FE
    lens produces a little sharper result than the kit lens, but the kit lens
    covers a more usable range for most of the work I do. I am keeping all
    three FE lenses I have. I have also ordered the 10-22 super wide. I find
    wide angle a very interesting tool. The sharpest results I am getting are
    form the 50mm macro Canon I have.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 19, 2004
  4. Robert

    Robertwgross Guest

    Joseph wrote:
    > I have a 20D and the 28-85 Canon lens as well as the kit lens. The FE
    >lens produces a little sharper result than the kit lens, but the kit lens
    >covers a more usable range for most of the work I do. I am keeping all
    >three FE lenses I have. I have also ordered the 10-22 super wide. I find
    >wide angle a very interesting tool. The sharpest results I am getting are
    >form the 50mm macro Canon I have.
    >--
    >Joseph E. Meehan

    What in the hell is an FE lens?

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Robert

    Wright Guest

    On 11/18/04 6:04 PM, in article ,
    "Robert" <> wrote:

    > I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
    > about to buy a 20D.
    >
    > I understand that the wide angle capacity on a 20D will be 45+mm for
    > the 28-85mm lens.
    >
    > Are these lenses optically worth keeping?
    >
    > If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
    > angle capability?
    >
    > Thank you for any assistance.
    >
    > Robert

    I understand the frustrating decisions that you are going through in trying
    to find a true wide angle lens for this camera! I purchased the EF-S 17-85
    lens with my 20D which gives me the 35mm equivalent of about a 28-135. An
    additional advantage of the new 17-85 is that it adds the image
    stabilization function. Optically, if you are now satisfied with the results
    you are getting with your existing lenses you should be satisfied with them
    on the 20D as well. Although, if you went the same direction that I did,
    your existing 28-85mm would not be needed. If you are strictly looking for
    a wide angle the EF-S 10-22 is awfully tempting. Be aware that, if you are
    keeping your current Canon body, the EF-S lenses will not work on it.
    Chuck

    Wright, Nov 19, 2004
  6. Robert

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:07:25 GMT, Wright
    <nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

    >On 11/18/04 6:04 PM, in article ,
    >"Robert" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
    >> about to buy a 20D.
    >>
    >> I understand that the wide angle capacity on a 20D will be 45+mm for
    >> the 28-85mm lens.
    >>
    >> Are these lenses optically worth keeping?
    >>
    >> If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
    >> angle capability?
    >>
    >> Thank you for any assistance.
    >>
    >> Robert

    >I understand the frustrating decisions that you are going through in trying
    >to find a true wide angle lens for this camera! I purchased the EF-S 17-85
    >lens with my 20D which gives me the 35mm equivalent of about a 28-135. An
    >additional advantage of the new 17-85 is that it adds the image
    >stabilization function. Optically, if you are now satisfied with the results
    >you are getting with your existing lenses you should be satisfied with them
    >on the 20D as well. Although, if you went the same direction that I did,
    >your existing 28-85mm would not be needed. If you are strictly looking for
    >a wide angle the EF-S 10-22 is awfully tempting. Be aware that, if you are
    >keeping your current Canon body, the EF-S lenses will not work on it.
    >Chuck

    If you have the money you can buy a 14mm EF lens

    YAG-ART, Nov 19, 2004
  7. "Robertwgross" <> wrote in message
    > Joseph wrote:
    >> I have a 20D and the 28-85 Canon lens as well as the kit lens. The FE
    >>lens produces a little sharper result than the kit lens, but the kit lens
    >>covers a more usable range for most of the work I do. I am keeping all
    >>three FE lenses I have. I have also ordered the 10-22 super wide. I find
    >>wide angle a very interesting tool. The sharpest results I am getting are
    >>form the 50mm macro Canon I have.
    >>--
    >>Joseph E. Meehan

    > What in the hell is an FE lens?
    >
    > ---Bob Gross---

    Would you buy EF? ;-)

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 19, 2004
  8. Robert

    PhotoMan Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > "Robertwgross" <> wrote in message
    >> What in the hell is an FE lens?
    >>
    >> ---Bob Gross---

    Would you buy EF? ;-)

    No thanks, 11 is enough! :)

    PhotoMan, Nov 19, 2004
  9. Robert

    Robertwgross Guest

    Joseph wrote:
    > Would you buy EF? ;-)

    I have eight or nine already. Why not?

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Nov 19, 2004
  10. "Robertwgross" <> wrote in message
    > Joseph wrote:
    > > Would you buy EF? ;-)

    > I have eight or nine already. Why not?

    239 is a lot more than 8 or 9...

    David J. Littleboy

    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 19, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    Robert <> wrote:

    > I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
    > about to buy a 20D.

    Dumb newbie question: how do I tell what sort of lenses I have? I have
    an old AE-1 with three lovely lenses, but I don't know what sort they
    are.

    ----j7y

    --
    jere7my tho?rpe "Clever stratagems are quite beyond my
    440-775-1522 powers, but if it is rank foolishness

    jere7my tho?rpe, Nov 19, 2004
  12. Robert

    Canongirly Guest

    "jere7my tho?rpe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Robert <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
    > > about to buy a 20D.

    > Dumb newbie question: how do I tell what sort of lenses I have? I have
    > an old AE-1 with three lovely lenses, but I don't know what sort they
    > are.

    Canon A series cameras such as yours took the "FD" mount lenses. These will
    not work with EOS cameras (except via an adaptor and even then in a very
    limited capacity as they aren't autofocus).

    Canon EF/EF-S lenses are autofocus, have a different mount, and a whole
    bunch of electro contacts on the back that allow them to "talk" with the
    body about apertures and focal length.

    The trade in value of FD lenses and A series cameras is very low to low.
    However film is likely to be around a bit longer so you don't have to junk
    em just yet.

    Any EF series lens will work on the current canon digital eos cameras, ie.
    D-30, D-60, 300D, 10D, 20D, 1D, 1Ds, and canon mount versions of the DCS
    cameras from Kodak.

    Canongirly, Nov 19, 2004
  13. "David J. Littleboy" <> writes:
    > "Robertwgross" <> wrote:
    >> Joseph wrote:

    >>> Would you buy EF? ;-)

    >> I have eight or nine already. Why not?

    > 239 is a lot more than 8 or 9...

    The hex of compulsive lens-buying ...
    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?

    Gisle Hannemyr, Nov 19, 2004
  14. Robert

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:48:57 -0500, "jere7my tho?rpe"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Robert <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
    >> about to buy a 20D.

    >Dumb newbie question: how do I tell what sort of lenses I have? I have
    >an old AE-1 with three lovely lenses, but I don't know what sort they
    >are.

    If it doesn't have an MF/AF switch its not and EF lens, and can't be
    used on the EOS cameras.

    YAG-ART, Nov 19, 2004
  15. Robert

    Eric Gill Guest

    Robert <> wrote in

    > If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
    > angle capability?

    Two real options:

    1) Canon EF-S 10-22. Big disadvantage is that the EF-S will not work with
    cameras without the small, 1.6x crop factor sensors/mirrors, so you will
    probably run into the same problem of lens antiquation in the future.

    2) Sigma 12-24mm, aka "Popeye". Full sensor size. Due to the big, round
    front element, requires a filter mount.

    Both seem to the of decent quality and yield good results. The Canon is
    about $100US more (high 700's).

    Eric Gill, Nov 19, 2004
  16. Robert

    Rob Davison Guest

    YAG-ART wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:48:57 -0500, "jere7my tho?rpe"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >>Robert <> wrote:

    >>Dumb newbie question: how do I tell what sort of lenses I have? I have
    >>an old AE-1 with three lovely lenses, but I don't know what sort they
    >>are.

    > If it doesn't have an MF/AF switch its not and EF lens, and can't be
    > used on the EOS cameras.

    A bit sweeping. There are EF lenses that don't have auto-focus.

    Rob.

    Rob Davison, Nov 19, 2004
  17. Robert

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:46:07 +1300, Rob Davison
    <> wrote:

    >YAG-ART wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:48:57 -0500, "jere7my tho?rpe"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <>,
    >>>Robert <> wrote:

    >>>Dumb newbie question: how do I tell what sort of lenses I have? I have
    >>>an old AE-1 with three lovely lenses, but I don't know what sort they
    >>>are.

    >> If it doesn't have an MF/AF switch its not and EF lens, and can't be
    >> used on the EOS cameras.

    >A bit sweeping. There are EF lenses that don't have auto-focus.

    Yes, a bit sweeping.

    YAG-ART, Nov 19, 2004
  18. Robert

    Guest

    In message <Xns95A654FBAAC1Cericvgillyahoocom@63.223.5.246>,
    Eric Gill <> wrote:

    >Robert <> wrote in
    >
    >> If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
    >> angle capability?

    >Two real options:
    >
    >1) Canon EF-S 10-22. Big disadvantage is that the EF-S will not work with
    >cameras without the small, 1.6x crop factor sensors/mirrors, so you will
    >probably run into the same problem of lens antiquation in the future.

    The possibilities are smaller than that. Only 1.6x-crop cameras that
    have the EF-S mount can use them; this only includes the 20D and the
    Digital Rebel (300D) at this point in time.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Nov 19, 2004
  19. Robert

    Eric Gill Guest

    wrote in news::

    > The possibilities are smaller than that.

    No. The lenses CAN be modified to fit the older 1.6 crop factor cameras.
    Some people don't mind using a hack saw on $770+ lenses, at any rate.

    However, he specifically asked about the 20D, and I was commenting on that
    and the future, not older models.

    Eric Gill, Nov 19, 2004