    regards

    --
    Don From Down Under
    Don, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Don

    Ryadia Guest

    Don wrote:

    > Folks
    >
    > about to plonk down my money for a 20D but was hoping that those that have
    > upgraded from a 10D can advise as to whether the new 9 point autofocus
    > (assume use with an L series lens) is faster/better than the 10D's 7 point.
    > Look forward to advice from those who know.
    >
    > regards

    Almost everyone I know uses single point so they know what the hell it's
    focusing on. The neat part of the 20D is the joystick think which lets
    you move around the points. The 20D is still no better at anything to
    do with tracking (servo) focus.
    Ryadia, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Don

    GT40 Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:57:28 GMT, "Don" <>
    wrote:

    >Folks
    >
    >about to plonk down my money for a 20D but was hoping that those that have
    >upgraded from a 10D can advise as to whether the new 9 point autofocus
    >(assume use with an L series lens) is faster/better than the 10D's 7 point.
    >Look forward to advice from those who know.

    According to professionals who have updraded, well they are thrilled
    with the AF on the 20D over the 10D.
    GT40, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Don

    Skip M Guest

    "GT40" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:57:28 GMT, "Don" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Folks
    >>
    >>about to plonk down my money for a 20D but was hoping that those that have
    >>upgraded from a 10D can advise as to whether the new 9 point autofocus
    >>(assume use with an L series lens) is faster/better than the 10D's 7
    >>point.
    >>Look forward to advice from those who know.

    > According to professionals who have updraded, well they are thrilled
    > with the AF on the 20D over the 10D.

    I know I am, the speed at which the 20D acquired focus the other day
    shooting vintage race cars was pretty amazing. I can't compare it to the
    10D, though, because I didn't use it for the same purpose. There seems to
    be less hunting, and low light focus is much better on the 20D, however.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004
  5. Bart van der Wolf, Oct 12, 2004
  6. Don

    You know who Guest

    "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message

    > "Ryadia" <> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    > > The 20D is still no better at anything to do with tracking (servo)

    > focus.
    >
    > Seems to work for some:
    > http://www.pbase.com/sardian/image/34942891

    I'd be surprised if this was taken with AI servo unless it was a pace lap.
    The odds are very much against you getting a good shot of a speeding race
    car at close to head-on angle with AI servo
    You know who, Oct 12, 2004
  7. "Don" <> wrote in message news:<I7Mad.23096$>...

    > about to plonk down my money for a 20D but was hoping that those that have
    > upgraded from a 10D can advise as to whether the new 9 point autofocus
    > (assume use with an L series lens) is faster/better than the 10D's 7 point.
    > Look forward to advice from those who know.

    yes, plus lower light...

    in real life, hardly noticable... IMHO
    Bernhard Mayer, Oct 12, 2004
  8. Don

    Chip Gallo Guest

    Bernhard Mayer wrote:
    > "Don" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> about to plonk down my money for a 20D but was hoping that those
    >> that have
    >> upgraded from a 10D can advise as to whether the new 9 point
    >> autofocus (assume use with an L series lens) is faster/better than
    >> the 10D's 7 point.
    >> Look forward to advice from those who know.

    > yes, plus lower light...
    >
    > in real life, hardly noticable... IMHO

    I'm replacing a Sony 717 with the 20D, for shooting ice skating (figure and
    synchro). They aren't moving as fast as race cars (unless something has gone
    awry), but knowing what is being focused on is important.

    Wondering which glass to buy. I'm leaning toward the USM kit.

    Chip Gallo
    www.chipster.biz
    Chip Gallo, Oct 12, 2004
  9. Don

    Skip M Guest

    "You know who" <> wrote in message

    > "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ryadia" <> wrote in message
    >> SNIP
    >> > The 20D is still no better at anything to do with tracking (servo)

    >> focus.
    >>
    >> Seems to work for some:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/sardian/image/34942891
    >>

    > I'd be surprised if this was taken with AI servo unless it was a pace lap.
    > The odds are very much against you getting a good shot of a speeding race
    > car at close to head-on angle with AI servo

    Seemed to work ok for me:

    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-...lery=My 20D images/Day at the Races&picture=9

    The caveat, here, is that both my image and the one of the Daytona Prototype
    were taken as the car(s) accelerated out of a turn, and weren't up to full
    speed.
    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004
  10. Don

    You know who Guest

    "Chip Gallo" <> wrote in message
    > Bernhard Mayer wrote:
    > > "Don" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> about to plonk down my money for a 20D but was hoping that those
    > >> that have
    > >> upgraded from a 10D can advise as to whether the new 9 point
    > >> autofocus (assume use with an L series lens) is faster/better than
    > >> the 10D's 7 point.
    > >> Look forward to advice from those who know.

    > > yes, plus lower light...
    > >
    > > in real life, hardly noticable... IMHO

    > I'm replacing a Sony 717 with the 20D, for shooting ice skating (figure

    and
    > synchro). They aren't moving as fast as race cars (unless something has

    gone
    > awry), but knowing what is being focused on is important.

    Actually, you might need a faster shutter for ice skating and other sports
    like football or basketball than auto racing where you don't want too high a
    shutter speed or the car will look like it is parked, i.e., you want a
    little blur on the wheels so it looks like it's moving. Unless the car is
    coming straight at me I don't shoot higher than 1/400 of a second.

    Do you want a sharp 'freeze' shot or a a little blur?

    For pan shots (depending on the speed of the vehicle) I'll shoot anywhere
    from 1/60to 1/200.

    I've got very crips pictures of marathorn runners coming right at me
    outdoors and I used a shutter speed of 1/2000. Good luck getting 1/500 at
    night with anything less than ISO 1600 and a f/2.8 lens.

    > Wondering which glass to buy. I'm leaning toward the USM kit.

    You'll want nothing slower than f/2.8. Go 2.0 if you can.
    You know who, Oct 12, 2004
  11. Don

    Guest

    "Chip Gallo" <> writes:

    > I'm replacing a Sony 717 with the 20D, for shooting ice skating
    > (figure and synchro). They aren't moving as fast as race cars
    > (unless something has gone awry), but knowing what is being focused
    > on is important.

    But much closer, so they are probably harder to get right then a race
    car. Also anyone looking at the skater will very quickly react to
    errors in the face that would be totally missed in the car shot.

    > Wondering which glass to buy. I'm leaning toward the USM kit.

    Definatly! Work out your distances and get some one to pose for you
    so you can figure out what focal lengths you want before you start
    plonking $$$ on the counter.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
  12. Don

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > "Chip Gallo" <> writes:
    >
    > > I'm replacing a Sony 717 with the 20D, for shooting ice skating
    > > (figure and synchro). They aren't moving as fast as race cars
    > > (unless something has gone awry), but knowing what is being focused
    > > on is important.

    > But much closer, so they are probably harder to get right then a race
    > car. Also anyone looking at the skater will very quickly react to
    > errors in the face that would be totally missed in the car shot.
    >
    > > Wondering which glass to buy. I'm leaning toward the USM kit.

    > Definatly! Work out your distances and get some one to pose for you
    > so you can figure out what focal lengths you want before you start
    > plonking $$$ on the counter.

    just guessing, but this may be like gymnastics. There is a web site with
    lens tests for that, as I recall he loved the 135 f2 and the 85 f1.4
    Bruce Graham, Oct 13, 2004
  13. Don

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > "Chip Gallo" <> writes:
    > >
    > > > I'm replacing a Sony 717 with the 20D, for shooting ice skating
    > > > (figure and synchro). They aren't moving as fast as race cars
    > > > (unless something has gone awry), but knowing what is being focused
    > > > on is important.

    > > But much closer, so they are probably harder to get right then a race
    > > car. Also anyone looking at the skater will very quickly react to
    > > errors in the face that would be totally missed in the car shot.
    > >
    > > > Wondering which glass to buy. I'm leaning toward the USM kit.

    > > Definatly! Work out your distances and get some one to pose for you
    > > so you can figure out what focal lengths you want before you start
    > > plonking $$$ on the counter.
    > >

    > just guessing, but this may be like gymnastics. There is a web site with
    > lens tests for that, as I recall he loved the 135 f2 and the 85 f1.4

    to be specific:

    http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/index.htm

    and it is of course the 85mm pair f1.8 and f1.2 - he likes both as well
    as the 135 f2 and other canon primes and fast zooms. Apologies for being
    vague in the 1st post.
    Bruce Graham, Oct 13, 2004
  14. Don

    Summitar Guest

    Has anybody else had trouble using the Canon 20D`s joystick to select
    focus points? It`s easy to select the four corners or the center, but
    the in-between points keep getting jumped over. This isn`t a major
    issue -- I just use the dial instead -- but I`m wondering if mine is
    somehow flawed.

    Otherwise I love this camera. The autofocus is astonishingly quick.
    Summitar, Oct 15, 2004
  15. Don

    Skip M Guest

    "Summitar" <> wrote in message
    > Has anybody else had trouble using the Canon 20D`s joystick to select
    > focus points? It`s easy to select the four corners or the center, but
    > the in-between points keep getting jumped over. This isn`t a major
    > issue -- I just use the dial instead -- but I`m wondering if mine is
    > somehow flawed.
    >
    > Otherwise I love this camera. The autofocus is astonishingly quick.

    It seems to take practice. I had little success at first, but I kept
    playing with it. If you kind of take a Zen approach to it, (feel the
    joystick, be the joystick...<G>) you get to the point where you can feel the
    detent for the intermediate focus point selections. After that, you wonder
    why you ever had a problem with it.

    Skip M, Oct 15, 2004
  16. "Don" <> wrote in message news:<I7Mad.23096$>...
    > Folks
    >
    > about to plonk down my money for a 20D but was hoping that those that have
    > upgraded from a 10D can advise as to whether the new 9 point autofocus
    > (assume use with an L series lens) is faster/better than the 10D's 7 point.
    > Look forward to advice from those who know.

    Unfortunately neither the 10D or 20D's autofocus works properly. The
    10D is unacceptable, the 20D is possibly slightly improved but I've
    found it still misses too often. Continuous focus is unusable on
    both. The 1D bodies are somewhat better.
    Georgette Preddy, Oct 15, 2004
  17. In article <>, Georgette
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately neither the 10D or 20D's autofocus works properly. The
    > 10D is unacceptable, the 20D is possibly slightly improved but I've
    > found it still misses too often. Continuous focus is unusable on
    > both. The 1D bodies are somewhat better.

    Shut up and go away, liar.
    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 15, 2004
  18. Don

    Skip M Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Georgette
    > Preddy <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately neither the 10D or 20D's autofocus works properly. The
    >> 10D is unacceptable, the 20D is possibly slightly improved but I've
    >> found it still misses too often. Continuous focus is unusable on
    >> both. The 1D bodies are somewhat better.

    > Shut up and go away, liar.

    Preddy's comments might have some validity if he ever picked up one of the
    cameras he talks about...

    Skip M, Oct 15, 2004
  19. Don

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:57:52 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Georgette
    >Preddy <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately neither the 10D or 20D's autofocus works properly. The
    >> 10D is unacceptable, the 20D is possibly slightly improved but I've
    >> found it still misses too often. Continuous focus is unusable on
    >> both. The 1D bodies are somewhat better.

    >Shut up and go away, liar.

    It's interesting that preddy won't use cameras such as the Canons
    (he's said so many times), yet he somehow finds that the focus still
    misses. I wonder how he manages that?

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Oct 15, 2004
  20. Don

    ZONED! Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:09:00 -0700, Big Bill <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:57:52 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Georgette
    >>Preddy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unfortunately neither the 10D or 20D's autofocus works properly. The
    >>> 10D is unacceptable, the 20D is possibly slightly improved but I've
    >>> found it still misses too often. Continuous focus is unusable on
    >>> both. The 1D bodies are somewhat better.

    >>Shut up and go away, liar.

    >It's interesting that preddy won't use cameras such as the Canons
    >(he's said so many times), yet he somehow finds that the focus still
    >misses. I wonder how he manages that?
    >
    >Bill Funk
    >Change "g" to "a"

    Not commenting on anyone I do not know but....
    reminds me of how the moral majority can decide which business is
    offering lewd and obsene goings-on...
    ZONED!, Oct 15, 2004