20D: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    I'm bored this afternoon so I go over to the dam to try to get some
    pics of the herons flying (they were very uncooperative). I'm also
    shooting a few ducks, some cardinals, and the lone falcon that lives
    there. The light is terrible, it's about to rain, but hey ... I love
    a challenge.
    Anyway, I'm minding my own business when I notice there's some rookie
    cop standing there beside me asking me what I was shooting. "Birds,"
    I told him without even looking up from my 20D and the Forgotten 400 f/
    5.6L.

    "Show me," he demands. So he makes me scroll through the entire CF
    card showing him the photos to make sure I'm not shooting a picture of
    little kids or the bridge ... you know, like terrorists always do. So
    I'm narrating the pics as I scroll, "Great Blue Heron, duck, falcon,
    duck, Presidential Motorcade, me flipping off the Pres, another duck,
    me and the old lady doing it ..... "
    You know, the usual stuff.

    Just kidding about the Presidential pics. Thankfully, I deleted them
    from the card before today's shoot. Otherwise, I might be typing this
    from Guantanimo.

    I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.) I
    know Bush (and his gang of crooks) wipes his ass with the
    Constitution, but I must've missed it when photography became a crime.

    I'm just glad my pal, Kamran, wasnt with me. He's from Pakistan and
    he's got a quick tongue. Can you say, "Taser?"

    This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
    the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
    things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
    list I shall politely ask him to go piss up a rope.

    Anyway, here's a crappy pic from today's crappy shoot.
    http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772

    Annika1980, Feb 25, 2007

  2. Annika1980

    micky311 Guest

    Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > I'm bored this afternoon so I go over to the dam to try to get some
    > pics of the herons flying (they were very uncooperative). I'm also
    > shooting a few ducks, some cardinals, and the lone falcon that lives
    > there. The light is terrible, it's about to rain, but hey ... I love
    > a challenge.
    > Anyway, I'm minding my own business when I notice there's some rookie
    > cop standing there beside me asking me what I was shooting. "Birds,"
    > I told him without even looking up from my 20D and the Forgotten 400 f/
    > 5.6L.
    >
    > "Show me," he demands. So he makes me scroll through the entire CF
    > card showing him the photos to make sure I'm not shooting a picture of
    > little kids or the bridge ... you know, like terrorists always do. So
    > I'm narrating the pics as I scroll, "Great Blue Heron, duck, falcon,
    > duck, Presidential Motorcade, me flipping off the Pres, another duck,
    > me and the old lady doing it ..... "
    > You know, the usual stuff.
    >
    > Just kidding about the Presidential pics. Thankfully, I deleted them
    > from the card before today's shoot. Otherwise, I might be typing this
    > from Guantanimo.
    >
    > I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    > but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    > what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    > When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.) I
    > know Bush (and his gang of crooks) wipes his ass with the
    > Constitution, but I must've missed it when photography became a crime.
    >
    > I'm just glad my pal, Kamran, wasnt with me. He's from Pakistan and
    > he's got a quick tongue. Can you say, "Taser?"
    >
    > This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
    > the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
    > things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
    > list I shall politely ask him to go piss up a rope.
    >
    > Anyway, here's a crappy pic from today's crappy shoot.
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772

    Have you ever been told to leave or not take pictures of an object?

    micky311, Feb 25, 2007

  3. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    On Feb 24, 8:50 pm, "micky311" <> wrote:

    > Have you ever been told to leave or not take pictures of an object?

    Do cheerleaders count?

    Annika1980, Feb 25, 2007
  4. Annika1980

    John Loomis Guest

    Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    Hello Annika,
    What dam were you photographing? I live in Northern Calif. and we fish
    @ Lake Shasta, and now you cannot even get near the dam in a fishing boat.
    They will broadcast a loud "clear the dam" and if you don't
    they do have automatic weapons......
    This all happened as a result of the craziness in this world.
    Hey, good photo shooting.
    John

    John Loomis, Feb 25, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    "Annika1980" <> wrote:

    > I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    > but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    > what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    > When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.)

    Wrong, perhaps the last 6 years has only become a greater excuse.
    During the Clinton administration I was in a DC National Park with a
    group of other LF Photographers. Being the defacto leader at the time I
    was approached by a Park Police officer and informed I was breaking a
    Federal Law by having my camera on a tripod without a permit. After
    getting highly pissed off, and journeying to the administrative
    headquarters there (where I was "Informed " the officer was correct-but
    they couldn't produce the exact legislative quote for the law) I later
    saw this officer speeding without sirens or lights through a non park
    intersection (I remembered the squad car, #) I reported this whole,
    incident to office of the Interior that runs park services. I got around
    about apology.

    Furthermore, at the time other photographers were being hassled,
    eventually the Park service issued a statement which was published that
    the average photographer in the park did not need a permit, but the law
    very from place to place according to types of Park one visited.

    As much as we wish to perhaps Demonize this Presidential admin
    the problem of local authority taking liberties goes a bit beyond my
    lifespan- I think.

    --
    George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.

    Gregory Blank, Feb 25, 2007
  6. Annika1980

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:07:57 -0500, Gregory Blank <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    >> but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    >> what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    >> When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.)

    > Wrong, perhaps the last 6 years has only become a greater excuse.
    >During the Clinton administration I was in a DC National Park with a
    >group of other LF Photographers. Being the defacto leader at the time I
    >was approached by a Park Police officer and informed I was breaking a
    >Federal Law by having my camera on a tripod without a permit.

    The tripod thing is a piece of stupidity based on government officials
    getting their information about weapons from watching movies rather
    than talking to someone who actually knows something or actually
    conducting tests.

    The notion is that one can mount a firearm on a photographic tripod
    for purposes of sniping. Never mind that it doesn't work.

    J. Clarke, Feb 25, 2007
  7. Annika1980

    Bob Williams Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > I'm bored this afternoon so I go over to the dam to try to get some
    > pics of the herons flying (they were very uncooperative). I'm also
    > shooting a few ducks, some cardinals, and the lone falcon that lives
    > there. The light is terrible, it's about to rain, but hey ... I love
    > a challenge.
    > Anyway, I'm minding my own business when I notice there's some rookie
    > cop standing there beside me asking me what I was shooting. "Birds,"
    > I told him without even looking up from my 20D and the Forgotten 400 f/
    > 5.6L.
    >
    > "Show me," he demands. So he makes me scroll through the entire CF
    > card showing him the photos to make sure I'm not shooting a picture of
    > little kids or the bridge ... you know, like terrorists always do. So
    > I'm narrating the pics as I scroll, "Great Blue Heron, duck, falcon,
    > duck, Presidential Motorcade, me flipping off the Pres, another duck,
    > me and the old lady doing it ..... "
    > You know, the usual stuff.
    >
    > Just kidding about the Presidential pics. Thankfully, I deleted them
    > from the card before today's shoot. Otherwise, I might be typing this
    > from Guantanimo.
    >
    > I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    > but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    > what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    > When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.) I
    > know Bush (and his gang of crooks) wipes his ass with the
    > Constitution, but I must've missed it when photography became a crime.
    >
    > I'm just glad my pal, Kamran, wasnt with me. He's from Pakistan and
    > he's got a quick tongue. Can you say, "Taser?"
    >
    > This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
    > the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
    > things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
    > list I shall politely ask him to go piss up a rope.
    >
    > Anyway, here's a crappy pic from today's crappy shoot.
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772

    BTW, Have you seen Spike lately?
    I'm wondering if he ever worked that nail out of his neck or did the
    nail eventually do him in?
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Feb 25, 2007
  8. Annika1980

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> I'm bored this afternoon so I go over to the dam to try to get some
    >> pics of the herons flying (they were very uncooperative). I'm also
    >> shooting a few ducks, some cardinals, and the lone falcon that lives
    >> there. The light is terrible, it's about to rain, but hey ... I love
    >> a challenge.
    >> Anyway, I'm minding my own business when I notice there's some rookie
    >> cop standing there beside me asking me what I was shooting. "Birds,"
    >> I told him without even looking up from my 20D and the Forgotten 400 f/
    >> 5.6L.
    >>
    >> "Show me," he demands. So he makes me scroll through the entire CF
    >> card showing him the photos to make sure I'm not shooting a picture of
    >> little kids or the bridge ... you know, like terrorists always do. So
    >> I'm narrating the pics as I scroll, "Great Blue Heron, duck, falcon,
    >> duck, Presidential Motorcade, me flipping off the Pres, another duck,
    >> me and the old lady doing it ..... "
    >> You know, the usual stuff.
    >>
    >> Just kidding about the Presidential pics. Thankfully, I deleted them
    >> from the card before today's shoot. Otherwise, I might be typing this
    >> from Guantanimo.
    >>
    >> I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    >> but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    >> what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    >> When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.) I
    >> know Bush (and his gang of crooks) wipes his ass with the
    >> Constitution, but I must've missed it when photography became a crime.
    >>
    >> I'm just glad my pal, Kamran, wasnt with me. He's from Pakistan and
    >> he's got a quick tongue. Can you say, "Taser?"
    >>
    >> This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
    >> the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
    >> things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
    >> list I shall politely ask him to go piss up a rope.
    >>
    >> Anyway, here's a crappy pic from today's crappy shoot.
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772
    >>

    > BTW, Have you seen Spike lately?
    > I'm wondering if he ever worked that nail out of his neck or did the nail
    > eventually do him in?
    > Bob Williams

    How is ol' Spike?

    Oh yeah, When shooting around a bridge, leave the turbin at home. : )
    John

    JohnR66, Feb 25, 2007
  9. Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    Annika1980 wrote:

    > Anyway, here's a crappy pic from today's crappy shoot.
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772

    Damnit! I want Spike! You should have told Officer Hormel that you were
    looking for our mascot Spike.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Feb 25, 2007
  10. Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    > I'm bored this afternoon so I go over to the dam to try to get some
    > pics of the herons flying (they were very uncooperative). I'm also
    > shooting a few ducks, some cardinals, and the lone falcon that lives
    > there. The light is terrible, it's about to rain, but hey ... I love
    > a challenge.
    > Anyway, I'm minding my own business when I notice there's some rookie
    > cop standing there beside me asking me what I was shooting. "Birds,"
    > I told him without even looking up from my 20D and the Forgotten 400 f/
    > 5.6L.
    >
    > "Show me," he demands. So he makes me scroll through the entire CF
    > card showing him the photos to make sure I'm not shooting a picture of
    > little kids or the bridge ... you know, like terrorists always do. So
    > I'm narrating the pics as I scroll, "Great Blue Heron, duck, falcon,
    > duck, Presidential Motorcade, me flipping off the Pres, another duck,
    > me and the old lady doing it ..... "
    > You know, the usual stuff.
    >
    > Just kidding about the Presidential pics. Thankfully, I deleted them
    > from the card before today's shoot. Otherwise, I might be typing this
    > from Guantanimo.
    >
    > I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    > but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    > what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    > When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.) I
    > know Bush (and his gang of crooks) wipes his ass with the
    > Constitution, but I must've missed it when photography became a crime.
    >
    > I'm just glad my pal, Kamran, wasnt with me. He's from Pakistan and
    > he's got a quick tongue. Can you say, "Taser?"
    >
    > This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
    > the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
    > things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
    > list I shall politely ask him to go piss up a rope.
    >
    > Anyway, here's a crappy pic from today's crappy shoot.
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772

    Sorry to hear about your Barney Fife encounter Bret. I often think this is
    more a disconnect within the police department or more likely the officer
    then actual enforcement of any real laws. Living right here at Ground Zero
    I can tell you I've shot all over the city and surrounding parks and I've
    never been stopped. I'm not saying that we don't have our share of Barney
    Fifes but I find it interesting that I've been out and about around all
    sorts of federal buildings at all sorts of time w/ and w/o my tripod and
    I've never been asked "Hey you potential terrorist what are you doing?"
    Most times when I'm on the Mall shooting the Park Police smile and walk on
    by. I have pics of just about every bridge across the Potomac, pics of the
    capital, white house, I've been all over the National parks and no one has
    thought twice about it. Maybe I'm just lucky but it makes me curious if
    incidents like yours aren't just individual police departments or officer
    run-a-muck.

    Regardless you managed yet another good pic in rather poor conditions.

    --

    Rob
    "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Feb 25, 2007
  11. Annika1980

    timeOday Guest

    It is a shame. If we really ran the country according to the laws on
    the books, you could probably just ignore the cop completely or tell him
    to buzz off. But we all know that probably wouldn't turn out so well.

    timeOday, Feb 25, 2007
  12. Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    I'm from Canada and I find what is happening with our friend down south is
    sad, we can't go and visit you guys now without passports even my kids needs
    them, what happen to the Berlin wall coming down and how good that was. What
    happen to you guys happen to all of us and I find it sad that you are
    putting barrier and building wall around. Sorry here I don't want to start a
    debate, just my 2 cents.

    Alain

    Alain's Studio, Feb 25, 2007
  13. Annika1980

    ASAAR Guest

    On 24 Feb 2007 16:58:58 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

    > I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    > but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    > what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    > When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.) I
    > know Bush (and his gang of crooks) wipes his ass with the
    > Constitution, but I must've missed it when photography became a crime.

    Heh heh. That was no cop. It was a Rent-a-Nikonian all uniformed
    up. Next time you're out birding do it in disguise. The
    Rent-a-Nikes have been given your mug shot and would like to ask you
    some more questions. <g>

    ASAAR, Feb 25, 2007
  14. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > I'm bored this afternoon so I go over to the dam to try to get some
    > pics of the herons flying (they were very uncooperative). I'm also
    > shooting a few ducks, some cardinals, and the lone falcon that lives
    > there. The light is terrible, it's about to rain, but hey ... I love
    > a challenge.
    > Anyway, I'm minding my own business when I notice there's some rookie
    > cop standing there beside me asking me what I was shooting. "Birds,"
    > I told him without even looking up from my 20D and the Forgotten 400
    > f/
    > 5.6L.
    >
    > "Show me," he demands. So he makes me scroll through the entire CF
    > card showing him the photos to make sure I'm not shooting a picture of
    > little kids or the bridge ... you know, like terrorists always do. So
    > I'm narrating the pics as I scroll, "Great Blue Heron, duck, falcon,
    > duck, Presidential Motorcade, me flipping off the Pres, another duck,
    > me and the old lady doing it ..... "
    > You know, the usual stuff.
    >
    > Just kidding about the Presidential pics. Thankfully, I deleted them
    > from the card before today's shoot. Otherwise, I might be typing this
    > from Guantanimo.
    >
    > I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
    > but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
    > what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
    > When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.) I
    > know Bush (and his gang of crooks) wipes his ass with the
    > Constitution, but I must've missed it when photography became a crime.
    >
    > I'm just glad my pal, Kamran, wasnt with me. He's from Pakistan and
    > he's got a quick tongue. Can you say, "Taser?"
    >
    > This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
    > the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
    > things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
    > list I shall politely ask him to go piss up a rope.
    >
    > Anyway, here's a crappy pic from today's crappy shoot.
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772

    I think it has less to do with Bush, and mostly to do with human nature.
    Cops are no different than some other folks in other professions.
    If you're a football player, you dream of making the big play in the last
    three seconds of the Super Bowl. -If you're a cop, you dream of busting the
    guy that would have killed thousands of imagined folk...and see your face on
    CNN...where you'd get to say something stupid like, "I'm not a hero...I was
    just doing my job" -all the while, fancying yourself not only a hero, but
    becoming the manifestation of your life-long-dreams of being admired as one
    by the entire country. It's pretty pathetic in one way, but completely
    understandable too.

    Everyone has a fantasy related to their job. It just so happens that some
    of the idiots who are hired as law enforcement officers have a hard time
    separating fantasy from reality...and whimsical stabs at herodom from the
    law.

    Ya, it's a problem, and ya, we need to hold their feet to the fire. Trouble
    is, there are so many idiots with an overgrown sense of
    one-man-justice...too many Rambos and Eastwoods. There are plenty of guys
    who are drawn to law enforcement for no other reason than that they think it
    would be "cool" to get to carry a gun around... I know of one such cop
    friend of mine who admitted that this was very much in his mind when he
    started out down that path.

    I hope you'll take him to task next time.
    -Perhaps simply asking him why he's "searching" your camera, or "Have I
    violated some photography law that warrants your searching through my
    personal photos?"

    I'm stubborn enough that I'd likely do just that...but laik bilong yu...

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 25, 2007
  15. Annika1980

    Daryl Bryant Guest

    Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    <snip>
    > This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
    > the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
    > things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
    > list I shall politely ask him to go piss up a rope.

    LOL - Best thing to do is shoot the cop, and make sure they saw you shoot
    them..I never have issues..I have had a few officers approach me....
    however, they seem to always vanish..once I point my big fat lenz at them.
    <grin>

    <snip>

    Daryl Bryant, Feb 25, 2007
  16. "J. Clarke" <> wrote:

    > The notion is that one can mount a firearm on a photographic tripod
    > for purposes of sniping. Never mind that it doesn't work.

    I have a pro photographer friend who says that if a tripod isn't strong
    enough to hold a machine gun, it's not strong enough to hold a camera.

    So it does work with his tripods...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Feb 25, 2007
  17. Annika1980

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

    On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:07:59 -0800, "Daryl Bryant"
    <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >> This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
    >> the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
    >> things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
    >> list I shall politely ask him to go piss up a rope.

    >LOL - Best thing to do is shoot the cop, and make sure they saw you shoot
    >them..I never have issues..I have had a few officers approach me....
    >however, they seem to always vanish..once I point my big fat lenz at them.
    ><grin>

    That works better though if you've got an online linkage that they
    can't confiscate on the spot.

    Having himself doing something stupid and illegal popping up on
    Youtube has to be one of every cop's nightmares.

    J. Clarke, Feb 25, 2007
  18. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Feb 25, 2007
  19. Annika1980

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 15:43:20 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> The notion is that one can mount a firearm on a photographic tripod
    >> for purposes of sniping. Never mind that it doesn't work.

    >I have a pro photographer friend who says that if a tripod isn't strong
    >enough to hold a machine gun, it's not strong enough to hold a camera.
    >
    >So it does work with his tripods...

    So he normally uses a tripod that weighs 14 pounds and stands 9 inches
    high?

    J. Clarke, Feb 25, 2007
  20. "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The notion is that one can mount a firearm on a photographic tripod
    >>> for purposes of sniping. Never mind that it doesn't work.

    >>I have a pro photographer friend who says that if a tripod isn't strong
    >>enough to hold a machine gun, it's not strong enough to hold a camera.
    >>
    >>So it does work with his tripods...

    > So he normally uses a tripod that weighs 14 pounds and stands 9 inches
    > high?

    I don't know about his, but my tripod weights 3.3 kg and can be persuaded to
    stand 9 inches high. The pushy salesman at the camera store demo'd it by
    swinging his whole weight from it. He also stood on it with its legs spread
    for low angle work. So it would probably work fine for a light caliber
    machine gun.

    It's real nice having a tripod you don't have to worry about.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Feb 25, 2007