    The manual doesn't really explain this, nor could I find any explanation on the web.

    Thanks

    BW

    BWL, Nov 14, 2004

  2. BWL

    Mark² Guest

    "BWL" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    I've spent the last couple of days playing with (and being thrilled with) my
    new 20D. One thing that I don't quite understand is the "quick control dial
    lock" setting of the off/on switch. As far as I can tell, when you turn the
    camera to "on", you can't use the quick control dial to set shutter,
    aperature, etc... It's only if you switch one more notch past "on" (to that
    line that indicates quick control dial lock), that you can use the quick
    control dial.

    My question, and it's probably a dumb one, is why would anyone ever switch
    the camera only to "on" and not be able to use the dial?

    Because in some situations, you may be vigorously shooting away at a
    particular setting, and you want to be sure you don't accidentally adjust
    the exposure value by inadvertantly bumping the back dial--which is fairly
    easy to do.

    If you were in a studio...where the lighting stayed constant...you might
    have it set and leave it for a few hundred shots. This also can be used as
    a dummy-proofing tool. :)

    Mark², Nov 14, 2004

  3. BWL wrote:
    > I've spent the last couple of days playing with (and being thrilled with)
    > my new 20D. One thing that I don't quite understand is the "quick control
    > dial lock" setting of the off/on switch. As far as I can tell, when you
    > turn the camera to "on", you can't use the quick control dial to set
    > shutter, aperature, etc... It's only if you switch one more notch past
    > "on" (to that line that indicates quick control dial lock), that you can
    > use the quick control dial.
    >
    > My question, and it's probably a dumb one, is why would anyone ever switch
    > the camera only to "on" and not be able to use the dial?
    >
    > The manual doesn't really explain this, nor could I find any explanation
    > on
    > the web.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > BW

    It's far to easy to move it accidentally.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 14, 2004