    reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go through the
    hassle of returning it. Thanks.

    Paul

    pjruiz(nospaam), Jan 15, 2005

  2. pjruiz(nospaam)

    Harvey Guest

    "pjruiz(nospaam)" <"pjruiz(nospaam)"@charter.net> wrote in message
    news:iHaGd.4856$...
    > I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    > Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    > without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how much
    > reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go through the
    > hassle of returning it. Thanks.
    >
    > Paul

    The older 511 was rated at 1100 mah. You received a 511 that was rated at
    1400. Just use it because it is better than the battery you ordered. There
    will be no reduction.

    Harvey, Jan 15, 2005

  3. But.... the camera came with a 511A rated at 1390 mAH and 7.4V.

    pjruiz(nospaam), Jan 15, 2005
  4. pjruiz(nospaam)

    traction Guest

    Doubt if you would notice the diffence in its use- I use three of them in a
    300D, and they are better than the Canon original...

    traction, Jan 15, 2005
  5. "pjruiz(nospaam)" <"pjruiz(nospaam)"@charter.net> writes:
    >But.... the camera came with a 511A rated at 1390 mAH and 7.4V.

    And your new battery is rated at 1400 mAh, so it should have slightly
    longer operating time. Canon differentiates between the 1100 and 1390
    mAh batteries by giving one of them an "A" suffix, but that doesn't
    matter - it's the mAh rating that counts.

    Also, the battery is two LiIon cells in series. The voltage may range
    anywhere from about 7.2 to 8.4 V depending on the state of charge. It
    doesn't matter whether the label says 7.2 or 7.4 V.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 15, 2005
  6. pjruiz(nospaam)

    Frank ess Guest

    pjruiz(nospaam)" <"pjruiz(nospaam) wrote:
    > I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    > Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    > without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how
    > much reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go
    > through the hassle of returning it. Thanks.

    I bought two
    "For BP511 Replacement
    Li-ion Battery 7.4V 1800mAh"
    From Sterlingtek via Amazon.com

    The order was for 1390mAh batteries, but 1800 was what Sterlingtek
    delivered. They were $11.99 each, and arrived a week or so after the
    order was placed. Shipping and handling was $9.98, pretty much at the
    upper limit, my view, but the cost for each battery was $16.98.

    When I received them I measured their voltages out of the package:
    7.64 and 7.67

    I charged them in the
    "Canon
    COMPACT POWER ADAPTER
    CA-PS400"
    which is like the regular charger, except it has two receptacles
    side-by-side, and an outlet for the power cord allowing use of the
    camera in an AC environment.

    They charged one after the other, left to right: one light blinked;
    changing batteries from one receptacle to the other, the blinking light
    did not follow the battery. After charging (and the at-least-an-hour at
    no-blink recommended for the second battery; meaning the first battery
    got its own charge and the additional time-in-receptacle corresponding
    to the charge time for the second battery and its subsequent hour), I
    measured their voltages:
    8.33 and 8.11, respectively.

    After five days on the shelf:
    8.30 and 8.10

    That's it. Science marches on.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 15, 2005
  7. pjruiz(nospaam)

    Mark² Guest

    > But.... the camera came with a 511A rated at 1390 mAH and 7.4V.

    The higher the "mAH" the better...so long as it's still rated 7.4V.

    Mark², Jan 16, 2005
  8. Frank ess wrote:
    > pjruiz(nospaam)" <"pjruiz(nospaam) wrote:
    >
    >>I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    >>Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    >>without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how
    >>much reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go
    >>through the hassle of returning it. Thanks.
    >>

    > I bought two
    > "For BP511 Replacement
    > Li-ion Battery 7.4V 1800mAh"
    > From Sterlingtek via Amazon.com
    >
    > The order was for 1390mAh batteries, but 1800 was what Sterlingtek
    > delivered. They were $11.99 each, and arrived a week or so after the
    > order was placed. Shipping and handling was $9.98, pretty much at the
    > upper limit, my view, but the cost for each battery was $16.98.
    >
    > When I received them I measured their voltages out of the package:
    > 7.64 and 7.67
    >
    > I charged them in the
    > "Canon
    > COMPACT POWER ADAPTER
    > CA-PS400"
    > which is like the regular charger, except it has two receptacles
    > side-by-side, and an outlet for the power cord allowing use of the
    > camera in an AC environment.
    >
    > They charged one after the other, left to right: one light blinked;
    > changing batteries from one receptacle to the other, the blinking light
    > did not follow the battery. After charging (and the at-least-an-hour at
    > no-blink recommended for the second battery; meaning the first battery
    > got its own charge and the additional time-in-receptacle corresponding
    > to the charge time for the second battery and its subsequent hour), I
    > measured their voltages:
    > 8.33 and 8.11, respectively.
    >
    > After five days on the shelf:
    > 8.30 and 8.10
    >

    > That's it. Science marches on.

    Good to hear of other's experience. A lot of the stuff
    stated on Li-ion batteries doesn't fit my experience. I
    have 3 batteries for my Nikon. The original is 680 mAh and
    the two others are 1000 mAh. I know that voltage
    measurements don't directly show charge, but voltage is an
    indication. Based on voltage measurement, I am unsure if
    the Nikon charger will fully charge the the larger capacity
    batteries. Today I checked the voltage of the original
    Nikon battery which was charged at least 3 weeks ago and it
    is 8.29V. One of the 1000 mAh batteries charged nearly 6
    weeks ago read 8.00 V. I put it in the charge which went
    off in about 15 minutes and the voltage read 8.21. The
    battery that had been in the camera also a 1000 mAh battery
    was charged and it took 1 hour. It does seem that the
    battery charger stops at 1 hour regardless. So after
    waiting a bit, I put the battery back in and it quit in
    about 10 minutes. The voltage read 8.21.

    Now that seems strange. All of the batteries charge in
    about 1 hour and then the charger stop. The 680 mAh battery
    has a higher voltage than the two 1000 mAh batteries. That
    suggest to me that my Nikon charger is time controlled and
    just won't fully charge the 1000 mAh batteries.

    Does that seem correct or is it just differences in
    batteries. Interesting that my one battery has as high
    voltage after 3 weeks as yours did after 5 days. Or maybe
    our meters aren't that accurate.

    George E. Cawthon, Jan 16, 2005
  9. I have no question about the mHA rating. The 7.2V rating on the new
    battery was what concerned me. The original batt had a 7.4V rating. In
    any case, I'm just going to keep it and see what happens.

    Re other posters comments: the new batt came up to 7.8V with a 12 hr
    charge.

    Thanks to all for your comments.

    Paul

    pjruiz(nospaam), Jan 16, 2005
  10. pjruiz(nospaam)

    nick c Guest

    pjruiz(nospaam) wrote:
    > I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    > Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    > without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how much
    > reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go through the
    > hassle of returning it. Thanks.
    >
    > Paul

    Just in case you're still interested in procuring batteries for your
    20D, I bought a couple of BP511 type batteries from TigerDirect.com that
    are rated to be 7.4V 1500mAh. The batteries are made by Mercury and cost
    $19.95/per. I've been using them for some time now and they appear work
    as well as Canon batteries.

    I also bought BP511 type batteries from B&H made by CTA. These batteries
    are also rated to be 7.4V 1500mAh. I think these batteries cost about
    $35/per. I haven't encountered any problems when using these batteries.

    For readers who have the 1D MK II camera, I bought a couple of Canon
    NP-E3 replacement batteries made by CTA from B&H for about $69/per. They
    are rated at 12V 220mAh and they work like a charm.

    nick

    nick c, Jan 19, 2005
  11. pjruiz(nospaam) wrote:

    > I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    > Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    > without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how much
    > reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go through the
    > hassle of returning it. Thanks.
    >
    > Paul

    It'll be fine. Most of the after-market BP511 batteries are 1400-1500mAH.

    The best source for BP511 I've found is:
    "http://www.sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html"

    $12 for a 1500mAH BP511 equivalent.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jan 19, 2005
  12. Frank ess wrote:

    > pjruiz(nospaam)" <"pjruiz(nospaam) wrote:
    >
    >>I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    >>Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    >>without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how
    >>much reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go
    >>through the hassle of returning it. Thanks.
    >>

    > I bought two
    > "For BP511 Replacement
    > Li-ion Battery 7.4V 1800mAh"
    > From Sterlingtek via Amazon.com
    >
    > The order was for 1390mAh batteries, but 1800 was what Sterlingtek
    > delivered. They were $11.99 each, and arrived a week or so after the
    > order was placed. Shipping and handling was $9.98, pretty much at the
    > upper limit, my view, but the cost for each battery was $16.98.

    Interesting that the same battery is 1500mAH on the SterlingTek web
    site, but 1800mAH from SterlingTek via Amazon.com.

    In any case, it's gone from Amazon as a new product.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jan 19, 2005
  13. pjruiz(nospaam)

    ZONED! Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:54:01 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
    <> wrote:

    >pjruiz(nospaam) wrote:
    >
    >> I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    >> Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    >> without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how much
    >> reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go through the
    >> hassle of returning it. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Paul

    >It'll be fine. Most of the after-market BP511 batteries are 1400-1500mAH.
    >
    >The best source for BP511 I've found is:
    >"http://www.sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html"
    >
    >$12 for a 1500mAH BP511 equivalent.

    WOuld you clarify "best source"? Have you dealt with the supplier and
    their batteries or is it just the lowest price you found searching on
    line? Thanks.

    ZONED!, Jan 19, 2005
  14. pjruiz(nospaam)

    Frank ess Guest

    Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >
    >> pjruiz(nospaam)" <"pjruiz(nospaam) wrote:
    >>
    >>> I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    >>> Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    >>> without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how
    >>> much reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go
    >>> through the hassle of returning it. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> I bought two
    >> "For BP511 Replacement
    >> Li-ion Battery 7.4V 1800mAh"
    >> From Sterlingtek via Amazon.com
    >>
    >> The order was for 1390mAh batteries, but 1800 was what Sterlingtek
    >> delivered. They were $11.99 each, and arrived a week or so after the
    >> order was placed. Shipping and handling was $9.98, pretty much at the
    >> upper limit, my view, but the cost for each battery was $16.98.

    > Interesting that the same battery is 1500mAH on the SterlingTek web
    > site, but 1800mAH from SterlingTek via Amazon.com.
    >
    > In any case, it's gone from Amazon as a new product.

    I used these Sterlingtek 511s on Sunday, to make about 500 exposures.
    Today the camera displays the "full-battery" symbol, and they measure
    7.96 and 8.00 volts as compared to 7.64 and 7.67 when they arrived, and
    8.33 and 8.11 after charging, just before I posted about them last week.
    All number pairs refer to #1 and #2 respectively.

    --
    Frank ess

    Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
    -Deepak Gupta

    Frank ess, Jan 19, 2005
  15. pjruiz(nospaam)

    ZONED! Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 11:40:36 -0800, "Scharf-DCA" <>
    wrote:

    >ZONED! wrote:
    >
    >> >The best source for BP511 I've found is:
    >> >"http://www.sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html"
    >> >
    >> >$12 for a 1500mAH BP511 equivalent.
    >> >

    >> WOuld you clarify "best source"? Have you dealt with the supplier and
    >> their batteries or is it just the lowest price you found searching on
    >> line? Thanks.

    >Yes, I have purchased from this supplier.
    >
    >One very big advantage to their products is that their supplier's
    >product at least appears to have implemented the communications between
    >the Canon charger and the battery, something that is not the case with
    >many of the low-cost eBay type batteries.
    >
    >I think that often the capacities that the after-market batteries claim
    >are overly optimistic.

    Thank you for clarifying. I was not aware of the "communication"
    problems...

    ZONED!, Jan 19, 2005
  16. pjruiz(nospaam)

    Guest

    I ordered directly from SterlingTek and they shipped 1800mAH ones.

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:27:45 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
    <> wrote:

    >Frank ess wrote:
    >
    >> pjruiz(nospaam)" <"pjruiz(nospaam) wrote:
    >>
    >>>I ordered a second battery for my 20D - a 511A, 7.4V, 1390mAH (non
    >>>Canon). I received a 511, 7.2V, 1400mAH. Can this battery be used
    >>>without any consequence other than reduced charge life? If so, how
    >>>much reduction? If there's not much difference, I'd rather not go
    >>>through the hassle of returning it. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> I bought two
    >> "For BP511 Replacement
    >> Li-ion Battery 7.4V 1800mAh"
    >> From Sterlingtek via Amazon.com
    >>
    >> The order was for 1390mAh batteries, but 1800 was what Sterlingtek
    >> delivered. They were $11.99 each, and arrived a week or so after the
    >> order was placed. Shipping and handling was $9.98, pretty much at the
    >> upper limit, my view, but the cost for each battery was $16.98.

    >Interesting that the same battery is 1500mAH on the SterlingTek web
    >site, but 1800mAH from SterlingTek via Amazon.com.
    >
    >In any case, it's gone from Amazon as a new product.

    , Jan 20, 2005
  17. The one I bought came from Safepay through Amazon. $19.73 shipping incl.

    pjruiz(nospaam), Jan 20, 2005