20D and dust spots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lester Wareham, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. Dust seems to be a problem.

    I noticed a piece of fluff on the viewfinder today. Rather than let it
    migrate to the sensor I *think* I managed to remove it.

    This prompted me to try the sensor dust test (stop down to f22 and shoot the
    sky out of focus. Sure enough there are a couple of faint spots, so I guess
    changing from film to digital won't mean I will be giving up using the clone
    stamp any time soon.

    What I find disturbing is this is a brand new camera for xmas, I only have
    one EF lens which has been mounted exactly twice, once on delivery and once
    on xmas day. The camera has only been used in doors apart from a short stint
    (mostly because I have been fixing my central heating).

    If this is the amount of dust intrusion at this point what are things going
    to be like after changing lenses in windy conditions a few times?

    I know the 20D is not a pro camera so I was not expecting the mount to be
    dust proof, but this seems to be an issue. Is this a particular problem with
    the cheap 18-55mm kit lens or can I expect the same problem with any lenses?

    I was planning to get mostly prime lenses like my old system but now I
    wonder if I should consider zooms just to reduce the number of lens
    mountings....

    Can some of the more experienced DSLR users please indicate how much of an
    operational issue sensor dust is and what precautions they take.

    cheers

    Lester

    Lester Wareham, Dec 31, 2004

  2. "Lester Wareham" <> wrote in message
    > Dust seems to be a problem.
    >
    > I noticed a piece of fluff on the viewfinder today. Rather than let it
    > migrate to the sensor I *think* I managed to remove it.
    >
    > This prompted me to try the sensor dust test (stop down to f22 and shoot

    the
    > sky out of focus. Sure enough there are a couple of faint spots, so I

    guess
    > changing from film to digital won't mean I will be giving up using the

    clone
    > stamp any time soon.

    I've had a 10D for nearly 2 years, and it's been in amateur use and has
    taken >5000 images. I also mainly use prime lenses. If I stop down to f22,
    I too can see dust spots. BUT, why do I mainly use prime lenses ? So that
    I can use f2.8, f4 and f5.6 and still get sharp images; and at f1.4 as well.
    Stop worrying, and get out taking some photos!
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Dec 31, 2004

  3. >
    > I've had a 10D for nearly 2 years, and it's been in amateur use and has
    > taken >5000 images. I also mainly use prime lenses. If I stop down to
    > f22,
    > I too can see dust spots. BUT, why do I mainly use prime lenses ? So
    > that
    > I can use f2.8, f4 and f5.6 and still get sharp images; and at f1.4 as
    > well.
    > Stop worrying, and get out taking some photos!
    > --
    > M Stewart
    > Milton Keynes, UK
    > http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

    Thanks for the confidence boost, but is the 10D better sealed or are you
    lucky?

    I guess there is an issue of finding a problem if one looks for it on my
    part, the dust motes are barely detectable at f8 and then probably not at
    all except on an even tone.

    The other reason for avoiding zooms are the weight and size, particularly
    for the Canon f2.8L flavours. On my old FD system I did have a 70-210/f4,
    but it was so cumbersome I almost never used it.

    thanks

    Lester

    Lester Wareham, Dec 31, 2004
  4. Lester Wareham wrote:
    >> I've had a 10D for nearly 2 years, and it's been in amateur use and
    >> has taken >5000 images. I also mainly use prime lenses. If I stop
    >> down to f22,
    >> I too can see dust spots. BUT, why do I mainly use prime lenses ? So
    >> that
    >> I can use f2.8, f4 and f5.6 and still get sharp images; and at f1.4
    >> as well.
    >> Stop worrying, and get out taking some photos!
    >> --
    >> M Stewart
    >> Milton Keynes, UK
    >> http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
    >>

    > Thanks for the confidence boost, but is the 10D better sealed or are
    > you lucky?

    I don't think you are getting much dust in with the lens on, although
    zoom lenses may have a chance of creating a problem, I have not seen in in
    my 20D, as of yet. I admit I am more careful changing lenses than I was
    with my non-digital SLRs. Still I have changed lenses in the rain and not
    had a problem.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Lester Wareham

    Musty Guest

    > Dust seems to be a problem.
    >
    > I noticed a piece of fluff on the viewfinder today. Rather than let it
    > migrate to the sensor I *think* I managed to remove it.
    >
    > This prompted me to try the sensor dust test (stop down to f22 and shoot

    the
    > sky out of focus. Sure enough there are a couple of faint spots, so I

    guess
    > changing from film to digital won't mean I will be giving up using the

    clone
    > stamp any time soon.
    >
    > What I find disturbing is this is a brand new camera for xmas, I only have
    > one EF lens which has been mounted exactly twice, once on delivery and

    once
    > on xmas day. The camera has only been used in doors apart from a short

    stint
    > (mostly because I have been fixing my central heating).
    >
    > If this is the amount of dust intrusion at this point what are things

    going
    > to be like after changing lenses in windy conditions a few times?
    >
    > I know the 20D is not a pro camera so I was not expecting the mount to be
    > dust proof, but this seems to be an issue. Is this a particular problem

    with
    > the cheap 18-55mm kit lens or can I expect the same problem with any

    lenses?

    > I was planning to get mostly prime lenses like my old system but now I
    > wonder if I should consider zooms just to reduce the number of lens
    > mountings....
    >
    > Can some of the more experienced DSLR users please indicate how much of an
    > operational issue sensor dust is and what precautions they take.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Lester

    Lester, please see my posts in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems. The thread is
    titled "sensor cleaning".

    I am also fairly new to the 20D and saw about 10-15 dust spots @ f/22
    straight out of the box essentially. Initially I was very upset about this
    (being new to DSLR also) and it made me very uncomfortable. I did quite a
    bit of research and this is totally not uncommon. I tried the rocket air
    bulb blower yesterday and it removed all my dust-spots. I did not resort to
    physically touching the sensor. Note that I had my significant other hold a
    vacuum in the proximity of the camera while I used the blower (but I am not
    sure if this is really necessary).

    Here is a link to the rocket blower:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=259157&is=REG

    Here are some other cleaning methods/links **try at own risk!!**:
    http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/
    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml

    After reading all the physical cleaning methods, I was very happy that the
    blower worked for me. Those C02 blowers look very good too.

    Hope this helps
    Musty.

    Musty, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Lester Wareham

    C J Campbell Guest

    > Dust seems to be a problem.

    Yes, it is. It is a problem common to all dSLRs. The spots mainly show up
    against large expanses of sky or some light colored area. They get lost in
    background clutter otherwise. It is the main reason I hesitated for so long
    before getting a dSLR.

    There is no way to keep dust out of the camera. The major source of dust
    indoors is people -- everyone lives inside of a dust cloud, shedding an
    aerosol of bits of skin and hair and particles of clothing and mites and
    stuff out of every conceivable opening everywhere they go. Thankfully, we
    don't think about it much, but it affects our photography. No matter what
    you do, some of that is going to get into the camera. It is probably cleaner
    to change your camera outdoors on a windy day.

    Clean your sensor regularly, using a dry bulb to blow particles off the
    chip. If something is really stubborn, a cotton swab and denatured alcohol
    will work. If it does not come off with that, a trip to the repair shop is
    in order.

    Some manufacturers have a disclaimer saying that you should never try to
    clean the chip. Nikon does this on cameras sold in the US, but then turns
    around and sells a do it yourself cleaning kit in Japan. Maybe they think
    American fingers are too big (thinking of the film "Crazy People") to do a
    good job. Anyway, all the kit contains is a blower bulb, some swabs, and
    some denatured alcohol. It tells you to run the very lightly moistened swabs
    in swirls over the sensor. Be gentle; it should not take any pressure to
    remove even stubborn dust. You are unlikely to scratch the sensor with a
    swab, but I suspect you could knock it out of alignment. You don't want to
    use enough fluid that it might leave a stain.

    Canned air contains freezing cold fluids that can drip onto the sensor, so
    most people avoid it. Even if it is certified as fluid free, it is under
    enough pressure that when released it can cause moisture to condense out of
    the air and form ice on the sensor. Whenever you run air through a narrow
    passage to accelerate it the pressure is reduced, meaning it can hold less
    water and the temperature is also reduced, which also lowers how much water
    the air can contain and which means that any water that condenses out will
    be cold. It is the reason that canned air and propane tanks and the like, if
    run continuously, will sometimes clog up with ice at the valves.

    C J Campbell, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Lester Wareham

    embee Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:25:18 -0000, "Lester Wareham"
    <> wrote:

    >Dust seems to be a problem.
    >
    >I noticed a piece of fluff on the viewfinder today. Rather than let it
    >migrate to the sensor I *think* I managed to remove it.
    >
    >This prompted me to try the sensor dust test (stop down to f22 and shoot the
    >sky out of focus. Sure enough there are a couple of faint spots, so I guess
    >changing from film to digital won't mean I will be giving up using the clone
    >stamp any time soon.
    >
    >What I find disturbing is this is a brand new camera for xmas, I only have
    >one EF lens which has been mounted exactly twice, once on delivery and once
    >on xmas day. The camera has only been used in doors apart from a short stint
    >(mostly because I have been fixing my central heating).
    >
    >If this is the amount of dust intrusion at this point what are things going
    >to be like after changing lenses in windy conditions a few times?
    >
    >I know the 20D is not a pro camera so I was not expecting the mount to be
    >dust proof, but this seems to be an issue. Is this a particular problem with
    >the cheap 18-55mm kit lens or can I expect the same problem with any lenses?
    >
    >I was planning to get mostly prime lenses like my old system but now I
    >wonder if I should consider zooms just to reduce the number of lens
    >mountings....
    >
    >Can some of the more experienced DSLR users please indicate how much of an
    >operational issue sensor dust is and what precautions they take.
    >
    >cheers
    >
    >Lester

    You think you've got problems :))
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeb1/

    embee, Dec 31, 2004
  8. Anyone know of a UK supplier for "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse Optic Cleaner"
    for sensor cleaning?

    Lester Wareham, Dec 31, 2004
  9. Lester Wareham

    Musty Guest

    > Anyone know of a UK supplier for "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse Optic

    Cleaner"
    > for sensor cleaning?

    I would really try a bulb blower first. I think a lot of the sites which
    strongly advocate using direct contact cleaning methods are trying to sell
    it to you. There was a poster in the thread which I mentioned that said he
    had been using a bulb blower on DSLR for 3 years with success. It worked for
    me on a 20D. Direct cleaning should be a last resort only.

    Musty, Dec 31, 2004
  10. "Musty" <> wrote in message

    > "Lester Wareham" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know of a UK supplier for "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse Optic

    > Cleaner"
    >> for sensor cleaning?
    >>

    > I would really try a bulb blower first. I think a lot of the sites which
    > strongly advocate using direct contact cleaning methods are trying to sell
    > it to you. There was a poster in the thread which I mentioned that said he
    > had been using a bulb blower on DSLR for 3 years with success. It worked
    > for
    > me on a 20D. Direct cleaning should be a last resort only.

    No I agree, I just want to find sutable materials if it comes to that. It
    would have to be very bad though.

    Lester Wareham, Dec 31, 2004
  11. Lester Wareham

    RonFrank Guest

    Short of removing dust from the face of the planet, dust is just something
    we have to live with. As to the dust in your camera, it is likely there
    from the factory... Yes, it's rather common.

    I've been shooting digital for a few years, and I clean my sensor when
    needed. Generally about once a month.

    IMO don't bother with sensor swabs, they are just very expensive, and you
    may go through an entire package of them in the first couple cleanings until
    you get comfortable. I use a custom made thingy that I can not find the
    website for right now, but it looks like a rubber maid spachula, which is
    also an option. Then eclipse, and the lint free pads. I can get my sensor
    clean in generally one pass.

    Another product that has been given VERY good reviews, but I have not tried
    is below.

    http://www.visibledust.com/index.htm

    As long as this planet has dust, it will find it's way onto sensors in
    camera's with removable lenses. This is a fact, and I've not seen a perfect
    solution other than to just not worry about it, and clean the sensor.

    If the thought of cleaning a sensor makes you physically ill, you can take
    the camera into service, and many do this now while you wait.

    Personally, I am more comfortable do it myself as I take very good care of
    my equipment, and I'm not so sure the guys they have doing sensor cleaning
    are any more trained than myself.

    Ron

    RonFrank, Dec 31, 2004
  12. Lester Wareham

    RonFrank Guest

    Note that I had my significant other hold a
    > vacuum in the proximity of the camera while I used the blower (but I am
    > not
    > sure if this is really necessary).

    Using a vacuum near the camera is likley going to stir up more dust than
    not. Vacuums in general are NOT recommended for sensor cleaning because
    they expell air, and that results in stirring up dust.

    The sensor is not some fragile chunk of frozen glass that will shatter with
    a touch. Rather what you are cleaning is NOT the sensor at all, but the AA
    filter. These are made of a farily hard plastic, and do not scratch that
    easily.

    There has been a truckload of study, research, and web discussion on sensor
    cleaning..... Just do a bit of research, and pick the method you are most
    comfortable with. I can tell you from first hand experience over the past
    several years, that you WILL need to clean the sensor with more than a
    blower at some point UNLESS you just never remove the lens.

    Ron

    RonFrank, Dec 31, 2004
  13. Lester Wareham

    John Argyle Guest

    In article <41d5918e$0$21317$>, Lester Wareham
    <> wrote:

    > Anyone know of a UK supplier for "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse Optic Cleaner"
    > for sensor cleaning?

    Try Crown Digital http://www.crown-digital.co.uk/ishop/883/.

    I've just this afternoon done my first sensor clean on my D70 using
    Eclipe and Pec-pads bought from them and the SensorSwipe from
    Copperhill Images http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning. This
    appears to have been completely successful. Pec-pads and the
    SensorSwipe are considerably cheaper than the Sensor Swabs (which Crown
    also sell); I found I nneded more than one 'go' to get all the dust
    off, though this might just be donw to my nervousness. If you do need
    more than one then the 12 GBP each cost of Sensor Swabs could get
    annoying!

    John

    John Argyle, Dec 31, 2004
  14. Lester Wareham

    ZONED! Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Dust seems to be a problem.
    >
    >I noticed a piece of fluff on the viewfinder today. Rather than let it
    >migrate to the sensor I *think* I managed to remove it.
    >
    >This prompted me to try the sensor dust test (stop down to f22 and shoot the
    >sky out of focus. Sure enough there are a couple of faint spots, so I guess
    >changing from film to digital won't mean I will be giving up using the clone
    >stamp any time soon.

    I would try to treat the cause rather than the symptoms, or you may
    find "treatments" getting way out of hand.

    >What I find disturbing is this is a brand new camera for xmas, I only have
    >one EF lens which has been mounted exactly twice, once on delivery and once
    >on xmas day.

    The speed of the change and the cleanliness of the environment (among
    other factors) have a lot do with keeping a camera clean. I have one
    lens sitting mount down next to my camera on a clean steady surface. I
    then loosen both the lens on the camera and the protective cap on the
    other lens. Taking one in each hand I swap as quickly as possible
    raising them no higher than absolutely necessary immediately twisting
    both "home". It helps to note the little red connection indicators to
    prevent unnecessary fumbling. I have changed lenses this way for over
    20 years and it keep dirt and dust to a minimum.

    > The camera has only been used in doors apart from a short stint
    >(mostly because I have been fixing my central heating).
    >
    >If this is the amount of dust intrusion at this point what are things going
    >to be like after changing lenses in windy conditions a few times?
    >
    >I know the 20D is not a pro camera so I was not expecting the mount to be
    >dust proof, but this seems to be an issue.

    It is not an issue with my 20D, perhaps the dust gets in between
    changes. I would think that any static charge built up on the back of
    a lens or image sensor would attract dust like a magnet.

    ZONED!, Dec 31, 2004
  15. Lester Wareham

    Stacey Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:

    > "Lester Wareham" <> wrote in message
    >> Dust seems to be a problem.

    > Yes, it is. It is a problem common to all dSLRs.

    This is why the olympus Dslr's have the untrasonic sensor cleaning cycle at
    every start up. They are the only people doing this, can't see why others
    don't so something like this to avoid this obvious problem?
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Dec 31, 2004
  16. Lester Wareham

    ZONED! Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:00:33 -0500, Stacey <> wrote:

    >C J Campbell wrote:
    >

    >> "Lester Wareham" <> wrote in message
    >>> Dust seems to be a problem.

    >> Yes, it is. It is a problem common to all dSLRs.

    >This is why the olympus Dslr's have the untrasonic sensor cleaning cycle at
    >every start up. They are the only people doing this, can't see why others
    >don't so something like this to avoid this obvious problem?
    >--
    >
    > Stacey

    Do you use a camera with that feature? I just read up on it and it
    kind of reminds me of using a dustmop in a closed room and then
    shaking it out to clean the mop ;o)

    ZONED!, Dec 31, 2004
  17. Lester Wareham

    John Argyle Guest

    In article <311220041858476217%>, John Argyle
    <> wrote:

    > In article <41d5918e$0$21317$>, Lester Wareham
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know of a UK supplier for "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse Optic Cleaner"
    > > for sensor cleaning?
    > >

    > Try Crown Digital http://www.crown-digital.co.uk/ishop/883/.
    >
    > I've just this afternoon done my first sensor clean on my D70 using
    > Eclipe and Pec-pads bought from them and the SensorSwipe from
    > Copperhill Images http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning. This
    > appears to have been completely successful. Pec-pads and the
    > SensorSwipe are considerably cheaper than the Sensor Swabs (which Crown
    > also sell); I found I nneded more than one 'go' to get all the dust
    > off, though this might just be donw to my nervousness. If you do need
    > more than one then the 12 GBP each cost of Sensor Swabs could get
    > annoying!
    >
    > John

    Sorry, brain not in gear. Should have read 3 GBP each for SensorSwipes.
    (36 GBP for a box of 12). Still a bit expensive though if you use
    several.
    John

    John Argyle, Dec 31, 2004
  18. Lester Wareham

    Keith Guest

    C J Campbell <> wrote:

    > Yes, it is. It is a problem common to all dSLRs.

    My E-1 has a gadget to clean the sensor automatically everytime I switch
    the thing on - seems to keep it clean quite nicely. Happy shooting ;-)

    Keith, Jan 1, 2005
  19. Lester Wareham

    Don Guest

    Lester, if you can afford it get the Canon EF 70 to 200 L series F4. Quite
    light, beautifully built (never cumbersome) and balances the 20D perfectly.
    It is SHARP and very very useful for a wide range of photo situations. One
    that surprised me is as a portrait lens at the 70mm end.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Jan 1, 2005
  20. Lester Wareham

    Don Guest

    Re: 20D and dust spots -Visible Dust product

    A review on the product visible dust can be found at Luminous Landscape as
    follows:

    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/visible-dust.shtml

    Have a read and let us know if you go down this track.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Jan 1, 2005